When help isn't help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 05:20 AM
RE: When help isn't help
(27-03-2017 07:11 PM)Ricochet180 Wrote:  Anyone ever had to talk to someone about things like that? Hopefully I won't *have* to get in that situation again, but still...

Yes, quite often during these last 9 years. Since the crisis hit, I didn't have one day without worrying where my rent, energy or food should come from.

Luckily my brother would never hand me food past it's sell by date.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 10:43 AM
(01-04-2017 04:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 12:26 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I'm pretty sure most people "help" to make themselves feel better, which is why they rarely offer anything that would actually be helpful to someone in need.

I dunno man. My experience is definitely different. There's no point to "help" if the help offered is useless. Even if I was doing it to make myself feel better, not doing something of actual benefit would mean I couldn't feel better anyway.

Well.... yea.... I mean you have feelings..... you're a decent person.... The people I'm talking about really don't care, they only care about how it looks to other people. The parade around how much they helped you. I mean take a look at my parents, their idea of help is to lie to me to get me to quit my job, and move back to California, so they can sell my car to my dad and leave me up on a mountain with no access to anything. Then they occasionally feed me and expect me to act grateful.

(oh and since my mom was on the title too they didn't ask my permission when they sold my car, and they gave me nothing for my car. The moment my parents found out on my title was written Either me or her, my car was gone. I never told them that cause I knew they'd steal it given the chance. My mom tried to help, but in the end she always does whatever my dad tells her to)

I told my mom once, you're like a person holding someone's head under water, then occasionally pulling them up by their hair so they can catch a breath. And every time you let them have a gulp of air you say "You're not showing me enough gratitude"

Needless to say she got pissed off and smacked me over the head with a mop.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
01-04-2017, 12:23 PM
(01-04-2017 10:43 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I told my mom once, you're like a person holding someone's head under water, then occasionally pulling them up by their hair so they can catch a breath. And every time you let them have a gulp of air you say "You're not showing me enough gratitude"

Um. Don't take this the wrong way but for whatever reason that tickled my funny bone - probably 'cos if I ever said something like that to my mom she'd also smack me over the head Laugh out load

Sorry your parents treat you so badly Undecided

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Bad advice is as bad as good advice is as good.

And, yes, so-called help is not the same as help.

Hope you get the help you need.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2017, 12:17 AM
(01-04-2017 12:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 10:43 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I told my mom once, you're like a person holding someone's head under water, then occasionally pulling them up by their hair so they can catch a breath. And every time you let them have a gulp of air you say "You're not showing me enough gratitude"

Um. Don't take this the wrong way but for whatever reason that tickled my funny bone - probably 'cos if I ever said something like that to my mom she'd also smack me over the head Laugh out load

Sorry your parents treat you so badly Undecided

Dude... I thought it was pretty funny.... I mean it is kinda almost objectively funny in my book.... No worries Wink

If you can't laugh in the face of hell you'll never survive the horrors of the real world. The real world is a worse hell than anyone has ever imagined.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
09-04-2017, 12:50 AM

Heh, I thought that analogy was brilliant as well as funny.

Getting slammed with a mop only reveals that your mother knew damn well that you had a point, her position was indefensible, and she was pissed for making her see that.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 1 user Likes Shirina's post
09-04-2017, 11:24 AM
(09-04-2017 12:50 AM)Shirina Wrote:  

Heh, I thought that analogy was brilliant as well as funny.

Getting slammed with a mop only reveals that your mother knew damn well that you had a point, her position was indefensible, and she was pissed for making her see that.

Thanks Shirina

Big Grin