When (if ever) did you stop praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: When (if ever) did you stop praying?
I found a healthy alternative to prayer, ironically from a lecture by an Episcopalian bishop. Instead of praying, I meditate. I take time to clear my head and refocus myself. I find that takes away the need to pray.

Semper requiremus veritatis.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I stopped praying because everything I prayed for wouldn't come true. I prayed to ace a test I didn't study for/understand, I flunked it. I prayed my parents would get me a certain video game for Christmas, I ended up having to buy it with my own money. I prayed my grandmother wouldn't die when she was diagnosed with brain cancer, she died three months later. I learned some things were out of my control, and that if I wanted something, I had to work for it, instead of expecting someone else to do it for me. That was about a couple of months before I became an atheist. I didn't lose my faith because my prayers weren't answered, but I was annoyed with God for ignoring me.

It's funny because if I forgot to say my prayers at bedtime or before a meal, I was afraid God was going to electrocute me.

[Image: mrsnail.gif]
10-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't remember exactly when but I stopped when I finally realized that God (if there was one) didn't give a shit that I had two abusive parents. I realized he wasn't going to help me, he wasn't going to make it stop, and he was the one that put me in that place. For a while I thought I must deserve it...then I came to the realization that if there was a god, he was an asshole.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-07-2013, 07:54 AM
To my dismay, i found it to be difficult to stop praying immidiately. Its almost a reflex; keep doing it enough times with your family and the next thing you'll realize is that you're muttering the words of the person praying to himself beside you or absentmindedly making the sign of the cross. If you're an ex-christian you'll know what i mean. But over time you'll grow used to it and not even blink an eye in times of crisis. And all the better because you'll actually be doing SOMETHING, rather than wait for God to magically make it better.

"I'm an agnostic atheist looking not to FIND the meaningful purpose of life but to MAKE life's purpose meaningful."

"I love science, logic, and reason. And thus an atheist was born."
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I actually stopped at 4, even while I was religious. I just never saw any point in praying to somebody that has a divine plan already set in store for us, or for somebody's food that's already been cooked. It's ridiculous to think that saving someone's life from cancer, AIDS or any other disease can be as easy as becoming a paranoid schizo for a few minutes pretending to talk to some magic man in the sky. Some people that pray say they're just trying to communicate with God, but that doesn't mean shit, it's just restating their position that they want to change God's mind- but apparently, looking at the world around us, God is a dick and doesn't really give a damn, even for the people who kiss up to him 24/7.

[Image: 52070869.jpg]
23-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I stopped praying in highschool. It's when I first saw religion for all of its hypocrisies and I wanted nothing to do with it.
[+] 1 user Likes MargotTenenbaum's post
23-08-2013, 01:05 PM
When (if ever) did you stop praying?
It wasn't a sudden thing. It's been gradual for me.
07-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I stopped praying when I turned 13... 2 years ago now O.o
The difficult part was removing a cross from my bedroom though. That was, in my mind, me telling myself that I was officially done.
11-12-2013, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 01:22 PM by anonymous66.)
(29-11-2012 07:24 PM)Missbeth12891 Wrote:  This may sound odd, but when bad things happen I still find myself reaching for that old security blanket of prayer. There is a current medical situation in my husband's family. It's a 6 yo girl and it could be something deadly. I find I want to pray to calm myself and try to work things out, not really to petition a deity for help. I have only called myself an atheist for a short time, I was a theist for almost 30 years. Does this urge ever stop?

Been there. I was a theist for almost 40 years, and have only identified as atheist for less than a year.

I still sometimes find myself praying. I don't think it's any big deal, it's just an old habit. It just makes me chuckle at the silliness of praying to an entity that I think is just a figment of our imagination.
11-12-2013, 01:19 PM
This is very interesting to me, and today is an especially important day for this topic for me. Even as a young Catholic boy I only prayed when told to do so, and as I became non-religious in my teens I only prayed when someone was sick. As I got older and started to travel a lot for business, I would pray as the plane took off, asking for the pain my family might feel if I died in some fiery crash to be eased, etc. But I never believed in prayer, I merely did it because I was covering my agnostic bases.

The reason today is important is because a family member is going through a health crisis and it's the first time such a crisis is happening since I've officially admitted to myself and my family that I'm an atheist. Today we found out the cancer is contained to one area and it didn't spread anywhere, and that good news came without any prayer from me. It only solidifies that prayer does nothing. While I may catch myself thanking someone in my head on occasion when I receive good news, I know it's pure habit and that no one is listening except myself. So, to answer the OP question, I stopped praying when I realized no one was listening, but I still catch myself thanking someone for good news and then chuckle.

Check out my blog: http://www.aisforatheist.blogspot.com It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user