When (if ever) did you stop praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
09-12-2015, 09:57 AM
RE: When (if ever) did you stop praying?
(09-12-2015 09:25 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I hope that the little is ok. I stopped praying 3 years ago. Whenever dad tells me to pray for such and such I don't because I know my prayers would go unheard. Just think positive thoughts. That's all prayer is right? So just think positive. Ever notice if you think bad thoughts about yourself it makes up depressed? But then you think good thoughts you feel good? Just think good thoughts.

I never prayed for anything in my life. I've hoped for things to happen that are out of my control. I've hoped that the dice will roll the right numbers or the rain will stop but hope doesn't have a deity involved in the process.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-12-2015, 10:05 AM
(09-12-2015 09:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 09:25 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I hope that the little is ok. I stopped praying 3 years ago. Whenever dad tells me to pray for such and such I don't because I know my prayers would go unheard. Just think positive thoughts. That's all prayer is right? So just think positive. Ever notice if you think bad thoughts about yourself it makes up depressed? But then you think good thoughts you feel good? Just think good thoughts.

I never prayed for anything in my life. I've hoped for things to happen that are out of my control. I've hoped that the dice will roll the right numbers or the rain will stop but hope doesn't have a deity involved in the process.

My ex once told me that hope is a wasted emotion. He is right on that one. Hope is a want I think. I hate it when you can't control things. It makes me feel powerless. I stopped believing in prayer a long time ago. If something is out of control what can you do? Just let it be?
09-12-2015, 10:22 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2015 05:01 PM by Clockwork.)
When my mother asks me to pray, I either get vague or just say OK. (But I do not pray. Ever.) I don't feel bad lying to her about it. I think she has a feeling I'm atheist but still hopes.
09-12-2015, 11:42 AM
When I stopped believing, I stopped praying. Kind of went hand in hand.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-12-2015, 01:08 PM
I take out my prayer rug and face the pasta factory to pray 6 times per day.
Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
10-12-2015, 10:59 PM
(09-12-2015 10:22 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  When my mother asks me to pray, I either get vague or just say OK. (But I do not pray. Ever.) I don't feel bad lying to her about it. I think she has a feeling I'm atheist but still hopes.

I do the same thing with my dad. I don't really feel bad about lying to him either.
31-03-2016, 06:18 PM
The day I stopped praying was when I was 11. My grandma had been diagnosed with ALS and was living in our home. I watched her slowly die... One night when she was getting really ill and weak I looked out my window and prayed as hard as I could to God that he would not let her die. It was less than an hour later that the abulance was at my house... she died that night.
[+] 1 user Likes z0mb13k1tty's post
31-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I never took prayer seriously. I remember trying to pray on my own (without any sort of group coercion) a couple of times when I was in middle/high school, but it was just out of mild curiosity. I didn't find the results of the exercise particularly noteworthy, so I never made a habit out of it.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
31-03-2016, 07:02 PM
When I was too young to remember how old I was. I felt ridicules and think I only did it a couple of times. I never begged Santa for gifts either.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
31-03-2016, 07:12 PM
(29-11-2012 10:31 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I actually don't know when the last time it is I prayed; I just didn't notice when I stopped. Like kpax said, it doesn't happen overnight. Some things are so ingrained in ourselves, it becomes instinctive to react certain ways. Don't be hard on yourself if you catch yourself. You're not harming others; you're doing something to calm yourself and it's a coping strategy. It may change over time, it may change over a much longer time. You're not being a 'bad atheist' or something. You're dealing with a heavy situation. My hope for you is that things turn out okay.

The last time i was really into praying it was coupled with meditation. That was maybe 18 years ago, and yet, and yet there are still times I will be half asleep and intone to myself without verbalizing 'Thank you God, Thank you God.' I felt at one time that I was somehow doing wrong by doing so, but have decided that I am doing any damage to anybody or anything by doing so, so haven't made any particular effort to stop.