When (if ever) did you stop praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
RE: When (if ever) did you stop praying?
I remember it took me awhile to completely stop praying after I became an atheist (although I only prayed when something traumatic was going on). It wasn't until I felt 100% confident in my atheism that I completely gave up praying. In that interim time, my prayers always started something like "God, if I'm wrong and you are really out there and are still willing to listen to me..."

Then one day I finally thought, "Who am I kidding? There's no one out there listening." For a short time, I fought the temptation to pray each time with that thought and then eventually even that was no longer necessary.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
22-12-2012, 04:00 AM
I am still at the point where I am not 100% done with praying. It has really only been about a week since I have admitted to myself that I don't think there can be a God. Last night, I prayed. Today, I was hit by a car (Well, okay, it was more of a turning into me type of thing, but it knocked me over lol) and all day I missed a friend that I am dying to see. I curled up in my bed when I got home and actually said. "Oh, Jesus. I really want to believe. Can you show me a sign?"
No sign yet. I'd be happy to see one. But I don't think it's coming.
I can relate you to in this very well. It will simply take some time.
[+] 2 users Like Flowergurl's post
22-12-2012, 04:34 AM
(22-12-2012 04:00 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I am still at the point where I am not 100% done with praying. It has really only been about a week since I have admitted to myself that I don't think there can be a God. Last night, I prayed. Today, I was hit by a car (Well, okay, it was more of a turning into me type of thing, but it knocked me over lol) and all day I missed a friend that I am dying to see. I curled up in my bed when I got home and actually said. "Oh, Jesus. I really want to believe. Can you show me a sign?"

Would it help if we all said a prayer for you?

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-12-2012, 04:37 AM
(22-12-2012 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:00 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  I am still at the point where I am not 100% done with praying. It has really only been about a week since I have admitted to myself that I don't think there can be a God. Last night, I prayed. Today, I was hit by a car (Well, okay, it was more of a turning into me type of thing, but it knocked me over lol) and all day I missed a friend that I am dying to see. I curled up in my bed when I got home and actually said. "Oh, Jesus. I really want to believe. Can you show me a sign?"

Would it help if we all said a prayer for you?

Consider
Probably not. But thanks. Wait... you pray?
22-12-2012, 04:38 AM
(22-12-2012 04:37 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:34 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Would it help if we all said a prayer for you?

Consider
Probably not. But thanks. Wait... you pray?
DLJ prays. He's one of our hold out theists. Something about worshiping the female form Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-12-2012, 04:39 AM
(22-12-2012 04:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:37 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Probably not. But thanks. Wait... you pray?
DLJ prays. He's one of our hold out theists. Something about worshiping the female form Big Grin
Oh! Haha.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
22-12-2012, 04:47 AM
No, you all got it wrong. He doesn't prAy. He prEys. Don't ask me on what or how I know Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
22-12-2012, 04:55 AM
(22-12-2012 04:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  No, you all got it wrong. He doesn't prAy. He prEys. Don't ask me on what or how I know Drinking Beverage
So those books you translate... they're *true* aren't they? They're DLJ's secret diaries.
22-12-2012, 05:03 AM
(22-12-2012 04:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(22-12-2012 04:47 AM)Vera Wrote:  No, you all got it wrong. He doesn't prAy. He prEys. Don't ask me on what or how I know Drinking Beverage
So those books you translate... they're *true* aren't they? They're DLJ's secret diaries.

... obviously not so secret now! Thanks Vera Sad

22-12-2012, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 22-12-2012 05:11 AM by Vera.)
(22-12-2012 04:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  So those books you translate... they're *true* aren't they? They're DLJ's secret diaries.
Wow! DLJ, I think they may have found us out. But the truth was bound to come out sooner or later. There've been rumours about a TV series. Actors are being discussed, Richard Gere has been mentioned, on account of his hair, but I had to put my foot down (actually, both my feet).

Though I've never been able to ascertain how much of it is true and how much - wishful thinking on the author's part Drinking Beverage

EDIT: Well, sorry, how was I supposed to know the pup was actually a bloodhound...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post