When (if ever) did you stop praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
22-12-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: When (if ever) did you stop praying?
(22-12-2012 05:07 AM)Vera Wrote:  EDIT: Well, sorry, how was I supposed to know the pup was actually a bloodhound...
*wags tail*

*humps leg*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Ya' know, I can't recall when I quit praying. It's the oddest thing trying to bring that to mind.

I know in 2011 when my closest Friend died, I believed in *some* kind of supernatural stuffs, because I was comforted 'knowing' his spirit lived on. But I'm not sure the deity was part of that....if it was, it was in small doses....

Some months later when I came across atheist videos and such, I was intrigued by them but don't recall talking to the deity then either....

Hmm. I just dunno.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 01:15 AM
I stopped praying when I started catholic school. It's what turned me atheist. I had to force myself to stop, however. It was like a habit. It is a comforting feeling, but if it isn't real, I don't want any part in it.

Better to be hungry and free than fed and in chains.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I don't recall when I stopped, but I do remember when I realized I didn't pray and it felt really good.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-01-2013, 04:55 PM
My last and final prayer was to ask God to guide me in my doubt. If He were real that my mind and heart be open to the truth of it. Then I thought for several weeks, thinking about things here and there during that time and eventually realized that I didn't know if there is a god. I can't pray anymore because I don't have any faith that there is someone to receive my prayer. Before all of that, though, I used to pray all the time. Every day on the way in to work, on the way home, when I was alone, etc.

On Christmas day my dad asked me to pray for my brother- he said, "I'd just like you to bend your mind a little and pray for your brother." I didn't agree to pray for him, but redirected instead to offer to talk with him and be there for him as much as I could. But it was hard to do that, I wanted to just agree to pray but then I would be dishonest and all it would accomplish would be to give my dad false hope that I would reconvert.
[+] 4 users Like kineo's post
14-01-2013, 10:27 PM
Hmmm....I think I was probably about nine or ten. That's when my father and mother were on the receiving end of some church politics and they left their church. After that we quit attending any church for a year or so...never prayed after that (that I can remember).

15-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Never started.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-01-2013, 08:49 PM
(29-11-2012 10:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I stopped when I realised I was talking to myself.

That's when it picked up for me. It's an excellent mechanism for the Ego to get the attention of the Id. "Hey fucktard, this is some serious shit right here, pay the fuck attention!"

(29-11-2012 10:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  It meant one of two things:

1) There was no god to listen to me
or
2) I was god

Although there was a high probability that the latter is true, I decided on the former.

Girly went with the better odds. Big Grin

(29-11-2012 10:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  The difference is that I know it's just me who is listening...
... and answering.

It helps a lot when you know who you are praying to. Thumbsup

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-01-2013, 06:37 AM
I sometimes still pray to the God I no longer believe in - though it's rare now, and usually when I'm feeling out of control about something. It's usually stupid shit that has to do with my own lack of discipline. "Please, let me become a bestselling novelist," or, "Please give me the motivation to stop playing so many video games so I can write that book." LOL!

One transition thing that I've tried to consciously do is to shift my prayers away from a God-figure and to send my appeals to my unconscious mind, or my future self. Yeah, it sounds kind of hokey, but to me, the secular version of prayer is positive self-talk. Sometimes I slip and start praying involuntarily, but when I find myself slipping back into that old comfortable superstition, I am usually able to think my way out of it.

Another amazing coping mechanism for me is an iPad/iPhone app called SuperBetter - it's a game that's based on science that increases your resilience. Here's the TedTalk about it:

(Hope I linked it correctly - I'm new. Smile)

The weird thing is, some of my most fervent prayers from my Christian years have been answered, though I remind myself that *I* took control of some of these events and made them happen...and my prayers about other people, well, they were in control of how THEIR lives played out too.

It's not easy leaving a faith that you've centred your life around, and it's not instantaneous (though I wish it was). It's a process, and not an easy one, especially if you still have people around you who are fervent believers who still see Jesus behind every rock. Wink
[+] 2 users Like Marmalade's post
18-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Prayer was never something I enjoyed even when I was in the faith, I found it much more appealing to do something, Whenever I did pray, i just felt like I was talking to myself, Eventually I figured out that I was.