When (if ever) did you stop praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
20-01-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: When (if ever) did you stop praying?
I still say grace with my family, though not for its prayer-like aspect. My mother honours her mother, whom she lost at 10, through it and I want to support her.

Other than that situation, however, I never pray. I never really was one for prayer, and almost never prayed outside of church. It was never an option for me. I either worked harder, came at the problem from a different direction, or asked someone for help. Mostly because I always was a stubborn bastard.

Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 11:17 PM
It surprises me to read how some here say they relapse or find themselves praying because of habit (I assume in private?). I can't recall the very last time nor having any impulse to pray in...who knows, decades? I have been in many public situations such as funerals, holiday gatherings and weddings where those around me are praying and I remain silent, very apparent in small gatherings when its not just an invocation but the lord's prayer for instance. I follow along in my mind reflexively, many years of repetition die hard. The mind is a curious thing don't you think? I find coming here and reading your posts do me much more good than prayer ever did. I collect religious quotes, here are a few regarding prayer that I particularly like.

Pray, v.: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. Ambrose Bierce

I think that quote needs a corollary:

Pray, v.: 2- to ask god to change his perfect, preordained plan because you think you know better.

What’s the use of being God if every rundown schmuck with a two dollar prayer can come along and fuck up your divine plan? George Carlin

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that
the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Emo Philips

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. Mark Twain

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
23-01-2013, 02:10 AM
Not long ago, when I determined it likely wasn't anyone on the other end.
[+] 2 users Like BrianD's post
11-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I sometimes still pray before a meal out of habit. It was actually really awkward with my Dad on Saturday. He said a prsoperity prayer over me and I was like okay whatever I'll just humour him, so I bowed my head. Then, he asked me to say it over myself. So... because I am a closet agnostic to my family, I said it. Grrr.
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
17-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I think my actual praying stopped about a year and a half ago.

I used to feel guilty as a child for not saying my bedtime prayers. I'd legitimately forget.

When I got to high school I had stopped that altogether, but I still tried to say regular rosaries. In college, I made some attempts to complete a couple 54 day novenas. That's a rosary a day for 54 days. It was supposed to bring me a good Catholic spouse. Haha. Ha haha.

Somewhere in those two novenas I realized I wasn't actually praying, I was just zipping through Hail Mary's on auto-pilot. I could say all five decades of a rosary in the time it took to soap up my hair, rinse, and condition in the shower.

Then I realized that I literally never had an actual urge to pray. Never, ever. Not before exams, not when people were sick, not when I was scared or sad or happy. And I realized I felt the same way in church.

And when I realized that, I mostly stopped trying. It was gradual.
17-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I had the urge to pray once before a meal last week. This week, I have finally stopped.
19-02-2013, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2013 06:01 PM by Lienda Bella.)
It was much easier for me not to pray when I accepted that God had put the little children through pointless agony. They got to go to Heaven and thank him for it forever. Worshiping a psycho just doesn't feel appealing now.

Yes? No? Maybe?
19-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Funny, haven't thought about this before. Not really sure when that stopped. I don't even have a clear memory of my last prayer. I guess I must have filtered that out as unimportant.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
28-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Well, I still accidentally start praying before I eat. It's getting really disturbing to be honest. Confused

I suppose it hasn't even been 6 months since my deconversion, so it'll take some time!
[+] 3 users Like Flowergurl's post
29-04-2013, 06:44 AM
(28-04-2013 09:12 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Well, I still accidentally start praying before I eat. It's getting really disturbing to be honest. Confused

I suppose it hasn't even been 6 months since my deconversion, so it'll take some time!
Yeah, six months isn't such a long time and you know the one about old habits... I'm guessing that's all this is.

What worked for me (mostly with compulsions, of which praying had become one) was making a point not to do it. Any time I'd catch myself starting to do it, I'd make an effort to put a stop to it. Pretty damn hard in the beginning (esp. if it's an OCD thing), but it does get easier over time.

(Relapses are still possible at times of great stress, but I think as long as you recognise it for what it is - a safety blanket - you shouldn't let it bother you too much.)

I think new habits help get rid of older ones, too. But then you're just saddled with another meaningless ritual.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."