When in Rome, DON'T DO THIS!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2015, 09:22 AM
RE: When in Rome, DON'T DO THIS!
[Image: Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg]

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
09-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Seriously....WTF?

It wouldn't even occur to me to do that. I have NO fucking WORDS.

Facepalm I hope they're fined a shit ton just for being that stupid and then are made to sit through a history class they're obviously in NEED of.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Hmm... Consider ...

I say tattoo them on one whole side of their face ... a big letter S for stupid.

Make it presentable and use their respective favorite color for this tatt... no need to be cruel about it. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Hummm.

You sure they weren't at the Louvre prior to this?

[Image: 526568f5824142.856799431.jpg]

(Actually, this is a Marcel Duchamp readymade art piece.)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
09-03-2015, 03:21 PM
(09-03-2015 07:13 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 06:32 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not gonna lie, I would love to carve my initials into the Colosseum.

Then that would make you a dick. If you want a monument to yourself fine, do it with your own property. I used to do stupid shit like that as a teen, and if I had been caught I would have deserved every punishment.

It also means you don't value Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech.

I fail to see how this relates to Sagan's speech about us being a pale blue dot.
If anything, the pale blue dot defends my want to carve my initials into the Colosseum because the Colosseum is rather insignificant in the far stretches of the universe and time. So what harm is there in me scratching my initials in? None.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
09-03-2015, 03:27 PM
Quote:If anything, the pale blue dot defends my want to carve my initials into the Colosseum because the Colosseum is rather insignificant in the far stretches of the universe and time.

So are you.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
(09-03-2015 03:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 07:13 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Then that would make you a dick. If you want a monument to yourself fine, do it with your own property. I used to do stupid shit like that as a teen, and if I had been caught I would have deserved every punishment.

It also means you don't value Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech.

I fail to see how this relates to Sagan's speech about us being a pale blue dot.
If anything, the pale blue dot defends my want to carve my initials into the Colosseum because the Colosseum is rather insignificant in the far stretches of the universe and time. So what harm is there in me scratching my initials in? None.

Context......Yes in the grand scope neither humans or material things matter to the universe. But knowing history is important and preserving it to understand our mistakes and even for simple art reasons. It is not a defense of material things it is a defense of understanding our species history. That is important.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2015, 04:15 PM
(09-03-2015 03:28 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 03:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I fail to see how this relates to Sagan's speech about us being a pale blue dot.

Context......Yes in the grand scope neither humans or material things matter to the universe. But knowing history is important and preserving it to understand our mistakes and even for simple art reasons. It is not a defense of material things it is a defense of understanding our species history. That is important.

It's important in those who evaluate it in that way as important. I'm not against that idea, but I also enjoy the concept of creating new history and twists or scars in history by the new ages leaving their mark. The idea of keeping of human history pristine is a bit foolish to me. It kinda puts up ideas on a pedestal as if human history shouldn't be it's natural state of constantly re-shifting and fluctuating. To be fair, that Colosseum is in half shambles because human history was in a period of desiring to use those stones for other structures.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-03-2015, 04:33 PM
We have so few structures that are 500 years old and many less that are 2800...go carve your initials on the side of your house.

Taking a tour through the ancient city of Luxor the guide pointed to a Frenchman's name some twenty feet up an intricate column with a date of 1840. As I stood there wondering how the fuck the guy got up there I was told that sand had covered the ruins to about that level. The reason the rest of the column was not defaced was because it lay under sand for millennia.

At another site Coptic Christians had carved over the hieroglyphics some 1500 years before. For the last 1500 years people who see that defacement think, "what a bunch of assholes". Too bad J & N didn't carve their full names so people for generations to come would think the same of them.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-03-2015, 05:36 PM
(09-03-2015 04:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  We have so few structures that are 500 years old and many less that are 2800...go carve your initials on the side of your house.

Taking a tour through the ancient city of Luxor the guide pointed to a Frenchman's name some twenty feet up an intricate column with a date of 1840. As I stood there wondering how the fuck the guy got up there I was told that sand had covered the ruins to about that level. The reason the rest of the column was not defaced was because it lay under sand for millennia.

At another site Coptic Christians had carved over the hieroglyphics some 1500 years before. For the last 1500 years people who see that defacement think, "what a bunch of assholes". Too bad J & N didn't carve their full names so people for generations to come would think the same of them.

That sort of reminds me of the poem by Shelley who was inspired by people traveling to Egypt, which was a new and fantastic thing to do in those days. Ozymandias was another name for Ramesses the II.

Ozymandias.

I met a Traveler from an antique land,
Who said, "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desart. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is OZYMANDIAS, King of Kings."
Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!
No thing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that Colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post