When is Self Defense Justified?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 12:42 PM
When is Self Defense Justified?
AND -- what level of force should a person be able to use?

I've met people who actually will not defend themselves under any condition. I've also known hotheads who'd probably put an axe in your head if you stole the Twinkie from their lunch.....

I'm sort of in the middle. I do think a person is entitled to use whatever force is necessary to stop an aggressor. In very rare cases, I could even justify using deadly force to protect your property. (It would have to be something you literally would die without.... For instance -- stopping somebody from stealing your snowmobile when you're 100 miles from anything, in the middle of winter. You'd likely die without it..)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 12:49 PM
RE: When is Self Defense Justified?
I'm not one to go looking for trouble, and it takes a lot to get me to fight, but I suppose any aggression towards me should be met with at least equal aggression.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
09-12-2016, 12:50 PM
That's about how I roll. Not long ago a guy took a shot at somebody stealing his truck. Killed his neighbor lady as she slept in her bed Angry
Nothing outside is worth shooting somebody over. I would not arm myself to go looking for trouble.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM
When you're in a situation that you can't leave without physical violence then it's warranted, I think. If simply removing yourself from the scenario is an option, then physical violence is not warranted.
[+] 4 users Like Gilgamesh's post
09-12-2016, 01:07 PM
I'll defend my own person, and loved ones, with enough violence -- actual or threatened -- to quell the situation. I've had to do it a few times and have no problem with my actions.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
09-12-2016, 01:07 PM
I am happy to say I've haven't had to defend myself since high school. Bullies attempting to jump me off gourd often found themselves on the floor a moment later. After 3 or 4 times of me putting people on their ass they didn't see me as an easy target anymore and left me alone. It was usually the jocks that once learned I was teaching karate classes that wanted to show me up. Many had tormented me for years prior to that.

I tend to be very passive. But if I hear something bang in my apartment I jump up and running out to see what it is. Preparing for a fight. (10 times out of 10 it's my cat.) I don't think I ever could bring myself to killing a person. But I don't see it to extreme of me being putting in a life or death scenario that I might brack a person's rib cage or arm to get away.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
09-12-2016, 01:17 PM
(09-12-2016 12:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  AND -- what level of force should a person be able to use?

I've met people who actually will not defend themselves under any condition. I've also known hotheads who'd probably put an axe in your head if you stole the Twinkie from their lunch.....

I'm sort of in the middle. I do think a person is entitled to use whatever force is necessary to stop an aggressor. In very rare cases, I could even justify using deadly force to protect your property. (It would have to be something you literally would die without.... For instance -- stopping somebody from stealing your snowmobile when you're 100 miles from anything, in the middle of winter. You'd likely die without it..)

It's always justified. The tricky part is determining what passes for self-defense.

Me? I think if you can't retreat from a threatening situation peacefully and no law enforcement reliably available, any violence arising from you in that situation is self defense.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
09-12-2016, 01:23 PM
(09-12-2016 12:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  AND -- what level of force should a person be able to use?

Interesting question. There have been moments where I swore I heard somebody unwelcome fucking about on the farmstead and picked up the woodcutter axe as precaution, in case somebody tried to steal equipment (which does happen with Norwegian farmsteads). Never had a moment where there actually was anybody doing it though, that or it was a false alarm. I doubt I'd ever do something crazy like rev up the old chainsaw and run after a thief, yelling "SNACK TIME!", smarter to call the cops and lay low; let the fuckers learn that no car next to the house doesn't mean no people *in* the house.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
09-12-2016, 01:56 PM
I think self-defense is warranted if someone is trying to do you or your loved ones physical harm. I'm vegan but I would have no problem killing someone (and certainly would not hesitate) if they tried to harm me or my family.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
09-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Self defence is justified when under attack.

The degree is left to the courts.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post