When is Self Defense Justified?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2016, 03:31 PM
RE: When is Self Defense Justified?
Some poor lady got mugged outside a store today. I'm on my period, if it was me today, I would have had his balls Wink j/k... sort of Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-12-2016, 05:17 PM
When is Self Defense Justified?
(09-12-2016 12:42 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  AND -- what level of force should a person be able to use?

I've met people who actually will not defend themselves under any condition. I've also known hotheads who'd probably put an axe in your head if you stole the Twinkie from their lunch.....

There is a difference between self-defense and Twinkie-defense.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
11-12-2016, 06:05 PM
When it comes to fight or flight, fleeing has always worked just fine for me. Versus knife and gun and fists--so far I'm alive. I run fast, especially with a bunch of adrenalin. What I think I'd do in any situation and what I actually do can be different, so I'm not going to make a bunch of assertions about what I'd do.

When it comes to my larger self, such as my husband or kid, experience so far suggests that I'm way more aggressive when it comes to them. I'm hoping that I'd be ethical and nonviolent and run, but I wouldn't bet on it. It's probably good, then, that I won't have any guns around in iffy situations.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
11-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Too slow to run, too fat to fight, I go armadillo.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-12-2016, 08:16 PM
(10-12-2016 09:55 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Fuck Trayvon.....

He wasn't the innocent that the anti-gun left would like to pretend.....

He's also not the one who was out on the streets with a gun looking for any chance for a confrontation, even after being told to stay put by the 911 dispatch he called for no reason.

Who was the aggressor?

Oh that's right, Trayvon was a cunt so he deserved to be shot after initially just trying to flee the weird dude following him at night.

He was wearing a hood. Definite sign of a punk.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
11-12-2016, 08:31 PM
An ideal outcome would have been if they'd both killed each other.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
11-12-2016, 10:15 PM
(11-12-2016 08:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  An ideal outcome would have been if they'd both killed each other.

An ideal outcome would have been if Trayvon made it home with his skittles like he was trying to do and Zimmermann wasn't such a gung ho xenophobe with a gun and a chip on his stupid shoulder who just had to show the world what a badass he is.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
12-12-2016, 05:24 AM
(11-12-2016 10:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(11-12-2016 08:31 PM)yakherder Wrote:  An ideal outcome would have been if they'd both killed each other.

An ideal outcome would have been if Trayvon made it home with his skittles like he was trying to do and Zimmermann wasn't such a gung ho xenophobe with a gun and a chip on his stupid shoulder who just had to show the world what a badass he is.

There's no doubt that it was bad attitude, meets bad attitude.

But, blame the gun.

It's at fault.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-12-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm a pacifist, and would always take the second option of the so-called "fight or flight" response to an imminent or perceived threat.

If some gang-banger wants to mug me for my mobile phone, I'll throw it at him, execute a speedy 180º, and take off somewhat smartly in the opposite direction.

I've managed to live as long as I have without once becoming involved in a punch-up, and I fully intend to keep it that way. Unless the threat could result in death to self or family, then—as Shakespeare said—discretion is the better part of valour.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
12-12-2016, 08:24 AM
(12-12-2016 08:19 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I'm a pacifist, and would always take the second option of the so-called "fight or flight" response to an imminent or perceived threat.

If some gang-banger wants to mug me for my mobile phone, I'll throw it at him, execute a speedy 180º, and take off somewhat smartly in the opposite direction.

I've managed to live as long as I have without once becoming involved in a punch-up, and I fully intend to keep it that way. Unless the threat could result in death to self or family, then—as Shakespeare said—discretion is the better part of valour.

Hand him the phone, then trail him back to the rest of his gang and kill the whole lot of them while they're sleeping Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post