When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 11:22 AM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
If people- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a person is NOT ok....think of the equality people would have today.(?)
But since there are always excuses and explanations and forever hair-splitting stories the beatings continue.
This should have ended centuries ago.
And yet it is STILL a discussion, a topic, an interest and a social norm for many.....even a cultural influence.

*Sigh*
Some things just shake my faith in human evolution.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
09-09-2014, 11:25 AM
(09-09-2014 11:22 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If people- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a person is NOT ok....think of the equality people would have today.(?)
But since there are always excuses and explanations and forever hair-splitting stories the beatings continue.
And yet it is STILL a discussion, a topic, an interest and a social norm for many.....even a cultural influence.

*Sigh*

I often wonder the same about if religions had disappeared long ago.
09-09-2014, 11:28 AM
(09-09-2014 11:22 AM)wazzel Wrote:  If people- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a person is NOT ok....think of the equality people would have today.(?)

*Sigh*

I'm not disagreeing with you.
But
The thread is specifically about hitting women.

Adjusting everything to include ALL humans takes the emphasis OFF the hitting of women. And then here we go again ignoring the vvery real thing which is the abuse of women. ....for centuries.

If you want to talk about physical abuse in general then do so.
But the topic question IS
IS it ok to hit women.

No. No it's not.
And staying on topic and refusing to cloud or muddy the issue might actually reap rewards instead of once again having the issue of female abuse buried.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I've noticed that we can never focus on women's issues because men come pouting along with whopping" but what about me?"
Which is why women's issues are never really addressed nor dealt with.
If men cared they'd lay their "what about me s" aside long enough to really tackle wwomen's equality and rights and freedoms and the chance of living in a world of Not being beaten as an ongoing threat.

[+] 3 users Like WitchSabrina's post
09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
(09-09-2014 11:28 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  

*Sigh*

I'm not disagreeing with you.
But
The thread is specifically about hitting women.

Adjusting everything to include ALL humans takes the emphasis OFF the hitting of women. And then here we go again ignoring the vvery real thing which is the abuse of women. ....for centuries.

If you want to talk about physical abuse in general then do so.
But the topic question IS
IS it ok to hit women.

No. No it's not.
And staying on topic and refusing to cloud or muddy the issue might actually reap rewards instead of once again having the issue of female abuse buried.
I am going to disagree on talking about all people is muddying the water.

Hitting any person out of anger is wrong, regardless of gender.

Abusing another person is wrong, regardless of gender.

Defending yourself from a REAL ATTACKER WITH REASONABLE FORCE is ok, regardless of gender.

Do I think it is ok to hit a woman? Yes only if she is an actual threat, but that is exactly how I feel about men too. The gender of the person trying to hit me is much less important that the fact that someone is trying to hit me.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
(09-09-2014 11:34 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I've noticed that we can never focus on women's issues because men come pouting along with whopping" but what about me?"
If men cared they'd lay their "what about me s" aside long enough to really tackle wwomen's equality and rights and freedoms and the chance of living in a world of Not being beaten as an ongoing threat.

Nice broad brush. I think all people should be treated equally. Judge people by the nature of their actions, not the color of their skin, gender, sexuality, etc.
09-09-2014, 12:00 PM
(09-09-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 11:34 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I've noticed that we can never focus on women's issues because men come pouting along with whopping" but what about me?"

Nice broad brush. I think all people should be treated equally. Judge people by the nature of their actions, not the color of their skin, gender, sexuality, etc.

Then you should have made a thread about physical violence in general.

Sorry. I just tire of the endless dodge and what i 've witnessed in my life.

No offense meant to you as a person.
The topic is very real to me.

And sorry to say if you're not a woman you're just not likely to understand.

09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
(09-09-2014 12:00 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 11:45 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Nice broad brush. I think all people should be treated equally. Judge people by the nature of their actions, not the color of their skin, gender, sexuality, etc.

Then you should have made a thread about physical violence in general.

Sorry. I just tire of the endless dodge and what i 've witnessed in my life.

No offense meant to you as a person.
The topic is very real to me.

And sorry to say if you're not a woman you're just not likely to understand.

Maybe so, I knew this had the potential to be touchy.

None taken. I can tell passion from insults, most of the time. Unless names are called or obvious insults are lobbed I tend to give the benefit of the doubt.

I appreciate the pause and take a breath post, thank you.

I like passionate debate as long as it stays civil.

Any who, hugs and stay friends?
09-09-2014, 12:07 PM
(09-09-2014 10:51 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If men- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a woman is NOT ok....think of the equality women would have today.(?)

Maybe the above is poorly phrased, or maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but it sounds like a double standard to me. True "equality" would entail men and women having exactly the same rights and responsibilities, and being able to expect exactly the same kind of treatment from each other. If it's not OK to hit a woman, but it IS OK to hit a man, that's not equality -- it's a double standard.

My answer to the OP's question is that it's OK for a man to hit a woman if and only if she is threatening him with bodily harm, and hitting her is the only way to defend himself. In any other context, it's not OK. However, that answer remains exactly the same if you change "man" to "person", and/or "woman" to any other living creature (man, child, dog, cat, whatever) -- except spiders -- it's OK to kill spiders, lol. But really, there's nothing special about women in this context. People shouldn't hit other people unless it's absolutely necessary for self-defense. That's equality. As long as you're singling out women, that's demanding special treatment, which is not equality.
09-09-2014, 12:11 PM
(09-09-2014 12:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:51 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If men- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a woman is NOT ok....think of the equality women would have today.(?)

Maybe the above is poorly phrased, or maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but it sounds like a double standard to me. True "equality" would entail men and women having exactly the same rights and responsibilities, and being able to expect exactly the same kind of treatment from each other. If it's not OK to hit a woman, but it IS OK to hit a man, that's not equality -- it's a double standard.

My answer to the OP's question is that it's OK for a man to hit a woman if and only if she is threatening him with bodily harm, and hitting her is the only way to defend himself. In any other context, it's not OK. However, that answer remains exactly the same if you change "man" to "person", and/or "woman" to any other living creature (man, child, dog, cat, whatever) -- except spiders -- it's OK to kill spiders, lol. But really, there's nothing special about women in this context. People shouldn't hit other people unless it's absolutely necessary for self-defense. That's equality. As long as you're singling out women, that's demanding special treatment, which is not equality.

I gotta say. I havent seen anyone say its okay to hit a man but not a woman.

Also...its not okay to kill spiders either. At least not to me Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post