When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 12:28 PM by Grasshopper.)
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(09-09-2014 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Maybe the above is poorly phrased, or maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but it sounds like a double standard to me. True "equality" would entail men and women having exactly the same rights and responsibilities, and being able to expect exactly the same kind of treatment from each other. If it's not OK to hit a woman, but it IS OK to hit a man, that's not equality -- it's a double standard.

My answer to the OP's question is that it's OK for a man to hit a woman if and only if she is threatening him with bodily harm, and hitting her is the only way to defend himself. In any other context, it's not OK. However, that answer remains exactly the same if you change "man" to "person", and/or "woman" to any other living creature (man, child, dog, cat, whatever) -- except spiders -- it's OK to kill spiders, lol. But really, there's nothing special about women in this context. People shouldn't hit other people unless it's absolutely necessary for self-defense. That's equality. As long as you're singling out women, that's demanding special treatment, which is not equality.

I gotta say. I havent seen anyone say its okay to hit a man but not a woman.

Also...its not okay to kill spiders either. At least not to me Tongue

It's implied by the question itself and by the whole tone of the discussion. Every time someone says what I've been trying to say (that it's not OK to hit people in general), he/she gets accused of straying from the point. This implies that a man hitting a woman is bad in some special way that doesn't apply to people hitting people in general. I take issue with that implication.

As for spiders, we will have to agree to disagree. Outside, it's live and let live. They come in my house, they're dead. Sorry about that.Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2014, 12:21 PM
(09-09-2014 12:18 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:11 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I gotta say. I havent seen anyone say its okay to hit a man but not a woman.

Also...its not okay to kill spiders either. At least not to me Tongue

It's implied by the question itself and the by whole tone of the discussion. Every time someone says what I've been trying to say (that it's not OK to hit people in general), he/she gets accused of straying from the point. This implies that a man hitting a woman is bad in some special way that doesn't apply to people hitting people in general. I take issue with that implication.

As for spiders, we will have to agree to disagree. Outside, it's live and let live. They come in my house, they're dead. Sorry about that.Big Grin

I dont think thats the intention. There is a higher rate of violence from men against women, and I think they are trying to say this needs attention now.

I agree with you personally, that we need to address violence as a whole. Even if you are an arachnid serial murderer Tongue
09-09-2014, 12:51 PM
(09-09-2014 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:18 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  It's implied by the question itself and the by whole tone of the discussion. Every time someone says what I've been trying to say (that it's not OK to hit people in general), he/she gets accused of straying from the point. This implies that a man hitting a woman is bad in some special way that doesn't apply to people hitting people in general. I take issue with that implication.

I dont think thats the intention. There is a higher rate of violence from men against women, and I think they are trying to say this needs attention now.

I agree with you personally, that we need to address violence as a whole. Even if you are an arachnid serial murderer Tongue

I will never be OK with equal rights for spiders.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
09-09-2014, 12:56 PM
(09-09-2014 12:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I dont think thats the intention. There is a higher rate of violence from men against women, and I think they are trying to say this needs attention now.

I will never be OK with equal rights for spiders.

You sir are holding back America! *points fingers* Tongue
09-09-2014, 01:05 PM
(09-09-2014 12:56 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I will never be OK with equal rights for spiders.

You sir are holding back America! *points fingers* Tongue

They live in my place without even paying rent Undecided they could at least get a job and help out with bills, then maybe I'd change my mind.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-09-2014, 01:06 PM
(09-09-2014 01:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:56 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  You sir are holding back America! *points fingers* Tongue

They live in my place without even paying rent Undecided they could at least get a job and help out with bills, then maybe I'd change my mind.

They build webs and eat other bugs! They are looking out for your health!
09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
(09-09-2014 01:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 01:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  They live in my place without even paying rent Undecided they could at least get a job and help out with bills, then maybe I'd change my mind.

Yeah. Would you rather be infested with flies or something?

... this is my signature!
09-09-2014, 01:09 PM
(09-09-2014 01:06 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 01:05 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  They live in my place without even paying rent Undecided they could at least get a job and help out with bills, then maybe I'd change my mind.

Great, I won't get sick lol let's see how well that turns out when I become homeless because it won't help me pay my rent Tongue

09-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Haven't read the whole thread.

If you are in legitimate danger of serious bodily harm, then I think you have license to use necessary and available force to defend yourself, regardless of the gender of your attacker.

If you are in a slapping match with anyone, the more mature thing, the and action most in accordance with the law, is to not engage in violence. This is also irrespective of gender.

/thread

/no more discussion is necessary

/because your pride is hurt is not good enough cause

/violence as a last resort always in all things
09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
(09-09-2014 01:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Haven't read the whole thread.

If you are in legitimate danger of serious bodily harm, then I think you have license to use necessary and available force to defend yourself, regardless of the gender of your attacker.

If you are in a slapping match with anyone, the more mature thing, the and action most in accordance with the law, is to not engage in violence. This is also irrespective of gender.

/thread

/no more discussion is necessary

/because your pride is hurt is not good enough cause

/violence as a last resort always in all things

I mostly agree with this.

Men are also stronger than women, which is why it is acceptable for a woman to hit a man as long as she is not doing it with the intent to cause serious harm. This is also why a man is usually not justified in hitting back.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!