When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(09-09-2014 01:35 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 01:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Haven't read the whole thread.

If you are in legitimate danger of serious bodily harm, then I think you have license to use necessary and available force to defend yourself, regardless of the gender of your attacker.

If you are in a slapping match with anyone, the more mature thing, the and action most in accordance with the law, is to not engage in violence. This is also irrespective of gender.

/thread

/no more discussion is necessary

/because your pride is hurt is not good enough cause

/violence as a last resort always in all things

I mostly agree with this.

Men are also stronger than women, which is why it is acceptable for a woman to hit a man as long as she is not doing it with the intent to cause serious harm. This is also why a man is usually not justified in hitting back.

By that logic any weaker person can hit any stronger person with impunity.

Somehow I don't quite see it.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
(09-09-2014 01:35 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 01:10 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Haven't read the whole thread.

If you are in legitimate danger of serious bodily harm, then I think you have license to use necessary and available force to defend yourself, regardless of the gender of your attacker.

If you are in a slapping match with anyone, the more mature thing, the and action most in accordance with the law, is to not engage in violence. This is also irrespective of gender.

/thread

/no more discussion is necessary

/because your pride is hurt is not good enough cause

/violence as a last resort always in all things

I mostly agree with this.

Men are also stronger than women, which is why it is acceptable for a woman to hit a man as long as she is not doing it with the intent to cause serious harm. This is also why a man is usually not justified in hitting back.
Why is that acceptable? The reason you give is extremely poor justification. Gender and relative strength should not be the measure if hitting is acceptable.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
09-09-2014, 01:46 PM
All hitting in unacceptable. Hitting in retaliation is also unacceptable. Just don't hit.

Narrow caveat for the unique and rare situations where you legitimately believe you are in very real danger.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
09-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Feminists arguing that hitting women is no more wrong then hitting men.Facepalm

I didn't realize that you are both feminist and MRA.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
09-09-2014, 02:34 PM
(09-09-2014 02:02 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Feminists arguing that hitting women is no more wrong then hitting men.Facepalm

I didn't realize that you are both feminist and MRA.
So you got nothing? Understood.
09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
(09-09-2014 12:07 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 12:00 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Then you should have made a thread about physical violence in general.

Sorry. I just tire of the endless dodge and what i 've witnessed in my life.

No offense meant to you as a person.
The topic is very real to me.

And sorry to say if you're not a woman you're just not likely to understand.

Maybe so, I knew this had the potential to be touchy.

None taken. I can tell passion from insults, most of the time. Unless names are called or obvious insults are lobbed I tend to give the benefit of the doubt.

I appreciate the pause and take a breath post, thank you.

I like passionate debate as long as it stays civil.

Any who, hugs and stay friends?

I do understand where you're coming from. I do.

Yes. ..absolutely (hugggsss)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-09-2014, 04:11 PM
(09-09-2014 12:07 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:51 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  If men- in general- had been taught 100s of years ago that hitting a woman is NOT ok....think of the equality women would have today.(?)

Maybe the above is poorly phrased, or maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but it sounds like a double standard to me. True "equality" would entail men and women having exactly the same rights and responsibilities, and being able to expect exactly the same kind of treatment from each other. If it's not OK to hit a woman, but it IS OK to hit a man, that's not equality -- it's a double standard.

My answer to the OP's question is that it's OK for a man to hit a woman if and only if she is threatening him with bodily harm, and hitting her is the only way to defend himself. In any other context, it's not OK. However, that answer remains exactly the same if you change "man" to "person", and/or "woman" to any other living creature (man, child, dog, cat, whatever) -- except spiders -- it's OK to kill spiders, lol. But really, there's nothing special about women in this context. People shouldn't hit other people unless it's absolutely necessary for self-defense. That's equality. As long as you're singling out women, that's demanding special treatment, which is not equality.

We'll never get anywhere with fixing what happens to women if we have to keep including men
We* could* get real progress IF we realistically stay on the topic of abuse towards women.

But
We won't while we divide attentions to discuss men instead.

Why is this hard to understand? ??????

FUCK!!!!!!!!

09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Yanno what?
Never mind.

What I end up saying in every single one of these threads because we ALWAYS ALWAYS must discuss men's needs, men's plights, men's issues.

Never ffucking mind
I give up
I give up
I just give up

Witch out

09-09-2014, 04:42 PM
(09-09-2014 09:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 05:34 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  So, I heard on the news driving into work that the coach for the ravens said "he hopes that they (Ray Rice and his fiancée/wife) can work it out..."

Then, he said he will pray for them. Sigh.

Clearly, he doesn't know anything about abuse. She needs to get out of this relationship, not "work it out." And he needs to be in prison. If he were to knock a total stranger out in public for example, he would have been arrested.

Sad. Sad

They are now married and she released a statement not only defending him today but accusing the press and media of assassinating his character and ruining their happiness. In other words she has made her choice to stay with him regardless of what is best (I tend to agree with you on this) so what the coach was saying was he hoped this was in fact an aberration, a one time event that is never repeated. As to whether it will be only time will tell.

I have to wonder how much the loss of a big paycheck and a certain lifestyle has to do with the defense. Or is she scared of what will happen if she doesn't take that stance in an effort to lighten any penalty.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Just looked back at my opening post. Man that was harsh and did make me look like a jerk. I still stand behind my selfdefence only position but that did not set a good tone for the discussion. Sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post