When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(08-09-2014 12:38 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 12:32 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Domestic violence swings both ways. It shouldnt happen to anybody. I think -anyone- who would consider hurting their partner should have consequences.

It does and abusers are about 50/50, but men take a majority of the arrest when the cops show up.

Have you got the stats for that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
It has nothing to do with male and female. It has to do with strength. I don't care whether that big burly guy beats up a male or a female, he is an utter asshole.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
08-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Wait, is the question for serious? Like, really?

'Cause, probably, you know, it'd be same answer for "when is it OK for X to hit Y" where X and Y are literally anyone. Self defense*.

*where yes, ideas of personal security and integrity vary and thus trivially so do ideas of what constitutes "defense"; likewise, what constitutes proportional retribution - but you all should know that already...

... this is my signature!
[+] 7 users Like cjlr's post
08-09-2014, 12:41 PM
(08-09-2014 12:39 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 12:38 PM)wazzel Wrote:  It does and abusers are about 50/50, but men take a majority of the arrest when the cops show up.

Have you got the stats for that?

What one?
08-09-2014, 12:42 PM
(08-09-2014 12:41 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 12:39 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Have you got the stats for that?

What one?

Either. They've got the smell of truthiness rather than truth.

... this is my signature!
08-09-2014, 12:46 PM
(08-09-2014 12:41 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 12:39 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Have you got the stats for that?

What one?

both claims really.
08-09-2014, 12:48 PM
It's only justified (not right; there's a difference) for someone to hit someone else when it's in self-defense.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 2 users Like One Above All's post
08-09-2014, 12:50 PM
If a woman hits you there are options other than beating the shit out of her.
Just get the hell away from her, protect yourself defensively, not offensively.
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM
(08-09-2014 12:18 PM)wazzel Wrote:  OK you may think I am a jerk for feeling this way, but I feel a person of any gender is free and clear to beat the crap out of anyone, regardless of gender, that hit them first. If a woman goes and hits a man she better be ready for him to hit back. I find it absurd that women get a pass on this.
I don't think it's ever ok for anyone to be the first to hit someone else regardless of gender. (If hitting in self defense is technically "the first", I'm not counting it as "the first" because there must have been some analogous threat.) However, given that it happens, the question is then is it ok for the victim to hit back? Gender is irrelevant to the answer. The answer always depends on the specifics of the situation and I don't think it's possible to give a one-size-fits-all answer. It's not just can the victim hit back, but also how hard, how many times, and to what degree of damage. Again, each situation requires addressing individually on that question.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
08-09-2014, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 01:10 PM by Adrianime.)
Haha, I like this post. I grew up with 5 older sisters...and I remember them telling me, "Adrian, if any woman ever hits you, just hit her right back."

I'm a pacifist in general though, so I don't believe in using violence as a means (unless absolutely necessary). But I think it's interesting how differently society as a whole will view a physical altercation between a man and a woman (vs man/man or woman/woman). There is generally a huge bias that works against the man.

Ultimately, regardless of your sex, I say don't hit anybody unless you are prepared to get hit back, or hunted down later and beat down by revenge seeking friends/family of the person you hit. Karma, it isn't magic, but causality can lead to you screwing yourself. But I also say, even if you are hit, try to break the cycle and not strike back (but I understand you if you do).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post