When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2014, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 03:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
Here's my problem with Ray Rice or a professional MMA fighter hitting anyone. If they hit me I'd be knocked the fuck out and be looking to press charges for "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" and tort relief when and if I woke up.

Both those fuckers know they could've easily defused the situation with a full or half-Nelson hug which renders me immobilized without hitting me. Especially the MMA dude who's an expert in a variety of tap out moves. And yet they chose to hit me instead. Immobilizing me without hurting me is not criminal, hitting me is.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2014, 03:39 PM
(13-09-2014 05:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My own husband has said to me the same thing I've said to him - you will only ever get one opportunity to hit me, because if that ever happens I'm immediately filing for divorce. There will be no second time.

Ditto. After 25 years of marriage and 27 being together neither of us has EVER raised a hand at the other. Unthinkable. Totally ruled out as a response. Doesn't compute.

As for me (male) hitting any woman it has yet to happen. It would have to be such a bizarre, extreme situation that it hardly merits a discussion.

Having said that I can conjure up bizarre and extreme situations till hell freezes over but why unless I'm bored, want a reaction from readers or would want to justify my real life actions. None apply.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-09-2014, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2014 04:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-09-2014 05:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My own husband has said to me the same thing I've said to him - you will only ever get one opportunity to hit me, because if that ever happens I'm immediately filing for divorce. There will be no second time.

That's ManlyGirl's position. And I agree with it. But GirlyMan leads with his chin until I get close enough to immobilize her with a bear hug. Ain't gonna dissolve a 30-year partnership over some shit fit which don't even leave a bruise on me.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
15-09-2014, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 01:26 AM by Luminon.)
(14-09-2014 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Manly has beat the crap outta me more than once. Some deserved, some not. I never hit back 'cause that would just provoke her and make her angrier, and stronger. I just go all armadillo and duck and cover and shit until she gets it out of her system. Sometimes being a husband means being a punching bag. It is never okay that a wife is a punching bag. Children too. Sometimes being a father also means being a punching bag.... Unless Manly's wearing steel-toed RedWings 'cause then my fatass is running for my damn life.

(14-09-2014 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's ManlyGirl's position. And I agree with it. But GirlyMan leads with his chin until I get close enough to immobilize her with a bear hug. Ain't gonna dissolve a 30-year partnership over some shit fit which don't even leave a bruise on me.
Holy spanking Jesus on a pogo stick. Things make more sense now. Men are disposable and can withstand the pain, women can't control themselves. Facepalm Please have your choice, be open about it, just don't pretend in other threads that you are a philosopher, not a verbal hobbyist Sad
15-09-2014, 01:58 AM
(15-09-2014 01:21 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(14-09-2014 02:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Manly has beat the crap outta me more than once. Some deserved, some not. I never hit back 'cause that would just provoke her and make her angrier, and stronger. I just go all armadillo and duck and cover and shit until she gets it out of her system. Sometimes being a husband means being a punching bag. It is never okay that a wife is a punching bag. Children too. Sometimes being a father also means being a punching bag.... Unless Manly's wearing steel-toed RedWings 'cause then my fatass is running for my damn life.

(14-09-2014 03:59 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's ManlyGirl's position. And I agree with it. But GirlyMan leads with his chin until I get close enough to immobilize her with a bear hug. Ain't gonna dissolve a 30-year partnership over some shit fit which don't even leave a bruise on me.
Holy spanking Jesus on a pogo stick. Things make more sense now. Men are disposable and can withstand the pain, women can't control themselves. Facepalm Please have your choice, be open about it, just don't pretend in other threads that you are a philosopher, not a verbal hobbyist Sad

Lumi, you are the poster boy for pseudo-philosophers.

[Image: Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg]

Don't forget your tin foil hat, and tell Molyneux (pbuh) that we all say 'hi'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-09-2014, 02:15 AM
(15-09-2014 01:21 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Holy spanking Jesus on a pogo stick. Things make more sense now. Men are disposable and can withstand the pain, women can't control themselves. Facepalm Please have your choice, be open about it, just don't pretend in other threads that you are a philosopher, not a verbal hobbyist Sad

You dare to call someone else a verbal hobbyist... Rolleyes Never mind that Girly has multiple times proven that he has studied it seriously, I suspect your little jibe comes from the fact that he kicked your ass so thoroughly in your little jizz thread, so much so that I haven't seen you wanking in it for a while - I suppose you'll go prove me wrong now Dodgy

Fuck Lumi you're a special kind of special.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
15-09-2014, 02:55 AM
(08-09-2014 12:28 PM)wazzel Wrote:  If cops show up to a domestic disturbance the man is getting arrested, no matter who started it, most of the time.

Not true. Most of the time no one gets arrested. Sometimes they both get arrested.

True that more men are arrested than women because of visible bruising, cuts, black eyes, busted teeth and torn lips, bite marks, blackened eyes, split skin on face, fractured jaw, belt marks, burns (all the most common). I see some of these every day.

It's not like so many of you may think--abused women in intimate partner relationships. The relationship is not equal.

How many men does this happen to:
I see women everyday who, have no car, no drivers license, no job, he doesn't let her out of the house (consequences), she is not allowed money unless he is with her, she is accused of infidelity if she wears pretty underwear or makeup or talks to another man, 4, 5, 6, 7 kids (the more kids the less agency she has), she is kept away from her family, and often kept away from most people like friends. And there are consequences if she crosses set lines.

These are common abuses that women face. These abuses are gender specific--about being woman.

She is usually afraid, often for her life.

95% of the women I meet, in my line of work, are entangled with an abuser who uses all or most of these control methods.

All these things, all of them are about control, all of them are deliberate and all of them about abuse.

I believe I have stated that I work at a domestic violence shelter for women.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 4 users Like Dee's post
15-09-2014, 03:08 AM
(15-09-2014 02:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  You dare to call someone else a verbal hobbyist... Rolleyes Never mind that Girly has multiple times proven that he has studied it seriously, I suspect your little jibe comes from the fact that he kicked your ass so thoroughly in your little jizz thread, so much so that I haven't seen you wanking in it for a while - I suppose you'll go prove me wrong now Dodgy

I don't care what Girly studied, philosophers shouldn't consider philosophy exempt from their daily life and relationships.
Kicked my ass? Everyone here is thinking that everyone have always kicked my ass at any topic imaginable I ever engaged in. People have no rational (logical) principles by which they could be proven wrong, therefore they're always right, which is getting boring. Unless I join the traditional Christian bashing fest, which is kind of boring too, after all these years.
15-09-2014, 05:01 AM
(15-09-2014 03:08 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 02:15 AM)morondog Wrote:  You dare to call someone else a verbal hobbyist... Rolleyes Never mind that Girly has multiple times proven that he has studied it seriously, I suspect your little jibe comes from the fact that he kicked your ass so thoroughly in your little jizz thread, so much so that I haven't seen you wanking in it for a while - I suppose you'll go prove me wrong now Dodgy

I don't care what Girly studied, philosophers shouldn't consider philosophy exempt from their daily life and relationships.
Kicked my ass? Everyone here is thinking that everyone have always kicked my ass at any topic imaginable I ever engaged in. People have no rational (logical) principles by which they could be proven wrong, therefore they're always right, which is getting boring. Unless I join the traditional Christian bashing fest, which is kind of boring too, after all these years.

No, Lumi, just join the evidence-based, rational thinking fest. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2014, 06:59 AM
(15-09-2014 02:55 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 12:28 PM)wazzel Wrote:  If cops show up to a domestic disturbance the man is getting arrested, no matter who started it, most of the time.

Not true. Most of the time no one gets arrested. Sometimes they both get arrested.

True that more men are arrested than women because of visible bruising, cuts, black eyes, busted teeth and torn lips, bite marks, blackened eyes, split skin on face, fractured jaw, belt marks, burns (all the most common). I see some of these every day.

It's not like so many of you may think--abused women in intimate partner relationships. The relationship is not equal.

How many men does this happen to:
I see women everyday who, have no car, no drivers license, no job, he doesn't let her out of the house (consequences), she is not allowed money unless he is with her, she is accused of infidelity if she wears pretty underwear or makeup or talks to another man, 4, 5, 6, 7 kids (the more kids the less agency she has), she is kept away from her family, and often kept away from most people like friends. And there are consequences if she crosses set lines.

These are common abuses that women face. These abuses are gender specific--about being woman.

She is usually afraid, often for her life.

95% of the women I meet, in my line of work, are entangled with an abuser who uses all or most of these control methods.

All these things, all of them are about control, all of them are deliberate and all of them about abuse.

I believe I have stated that I work at a domestic violence shelter for women.
I did not know you work at a shelter. That has to be tough, I would probably go home and cry every night.