When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 10:36 AM by Adrianime.)
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
I find it interesting that a popular opinion here seems to be that since men are typically stronger and built different than women, they should take special care even when defending themselves from an assault from a female. It's interesting because in gun "debates" I've been in, people have generally said that the need to defend your property, family, or self justifies the use of a lethal weapon (fire arm). Yet I wonder if the sex of the person matters when the use of a firearm is concerned? It's a different topic altogether, but as I walked through downtown this morning those thoughts popped in my head.

Over-all it doesn't make too much sense to me that a guy should be careful to defend himself from an attack from a woman in a way that involves subduing without striking. I would think that, while it is always the higher road to not strike back and escape, if you were to strike back, the sex of the person you struck wouldn't be the determining factor if you were right or wrong in doing so. If the situation logically (based on human tendencies) warranted retaliation is what should matter.

And in case it isn't obvious...I'm not talking about initiating violence against women, as I think initiating violence is always wrong regardless of sex. I'm only talking about the idea that self defense should be handled differently based on the sex of the assailant.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2014, 10:50 AM
(15-09-2014 10:31 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I find it interesting that a popular opinion here seems to be that since men are typically stronger and built different than women, they should take special care even when defending themselves from an assault from a female. It's interesting because in gun "debates" I've been in, people have generally said that the need to defend your property, family, or self justifies the use of a lethal weapon (fire arm). Yet I wonder if the sex of the person matters when the use of a firearm is concerned? It's a different topic altogether, but as I walked through downtown this morning those thoughts popped in my head.

Over-all it doesn't make too much sense to me that a guy should be careful to defend himself from an attack from a woman in a way that involves subduing without striking. I would think that, while it is always the higher road to not strike back and escape, if you were to strike back, the sex of the person you struck wouldn't be the determining factor if you were right or wrong in doing so. If the situation logically (based on human tendencies) warranted retaliation is what should matter.

And in case it isn't obvious...I'm not talking about initiating violence against women, as I think initiating violence is always wrong regardless of sex. I'm only talking about the idea that self defense should be handled differently based on the sex of the assailant.

It is a concept called conditioned response. If you can wail on me all day without leaving a bruise and I can drop you in 1 hit then yes I am held to a different standard, and well should be.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
15-09-2014, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 11:11 AM by Adrianime.)
Even a child can bruise you up if they hit you a few times (I've been bruised by my nieces and nephews who don't understand that adults can get hurt too). Women aren't that weak. Nor am I that strong (I'm probably weaker than the average male). If I was pushed to the point of physical retaliation, which would be pretty unlikely, what matters at that point is my safety, not the wellbeing of my assailant.

15-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Which brings up the question. By this "conditional response", if I'm assaulted by a woman has an obvious physical advantage over me, then is it ok? If not, why?

15-09-2014, 11:14 AM
(15-09-2014 11:06 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Even a child can bruise you up if they hit you a few times (I've been bruised by my nieces and nephews who don't understand that adults can get hurt too). Women aren't that weak. Nor am I that strong (I'm probably weaker than the average male). If I was pushed to the point of physical retaliation, which would be pretty unlikely, what matters at that point is my safety, not the wellbeing of my assailant.

In a he said/she said situation that 99% of all domestic situations are whoever has the most damage is going to be perceived to be the victim. That is just reality. So yes if you hit back you will probably go to jail.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-09-2014, 11:16 AM
(15-09-2014 11:13 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Which brings up the question. By this "conditional response", if I'm assaulted by a woman has an obvious physical advantage over me, then is it ok? If not, why?

How many women do you know that fit that criteria? I know for me I have not yet met one in real life. I'm sure some russian weightlifter could kick my ass but most women I know are much much smaller and much weaker that I am in physical strength.

15-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I have a sister who could take me down pretty easily. And a couple female friends who probably could take me on pretty evenly.

15-09-2014, 11:36 AM
(15-09-2014 10:50 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 10:31 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I find it interesting that a popular opinion here seems to be that since men are typically stronger and built different than women, they should take special care even when defending themselves from an assault from a female. It's interesting because in gun "debates" I've been in, people have generally said that the need to defend your property, family, or self justifies the use of a lethal weapon (fire arm). Yet I wonder if the sex of the person matters when the use of a firearm is concerned? It's a different topic altogether, but as I walked through downtown this morning those thoughts popped in my head.

It is a concept called conditioned response. If you can wail on me all day without leaving a bruise and I can drop you in 1 hit then yes I am held to a different standard, and well should be.

Thank you Rev.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-09-2014, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2014 11:56 AM by CleverUsername.)
I'm not sure if it's been brought up in here yet, but I find the whole "Don't hit girls because they're weaker than you" thing insulting as all hell.

Seriously, if we're going that way it should be "Don't hit people that are clearly weaker than you", because as is it gives off the implication that women are always very weak and no matter what they do they'll never stop being so. That's not just insulting, that's illogical. It also gives the impression all men are strong, and that's blatantly not true and unfair to them.

Plus, it's always "don't hit a girl". "Hit." I don't know about anyone else, but I don't exactly think epic beat downs that result in hospital visits when I hear that word. I think a hit. We are so pathetic, if any amount of force is applied to our bodies, we'll just break down, either mentally or physically, or even both cause we just suck that much, apparently.

Dodgy

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
15-09-2014, 11:59 AM
(15-09-2014 11:16 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 11:13 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Which brings up the question. By this "conditional response", if I'm assaulted by a woman has an obvious physical advantage over me, then is it ok? If not, why?

How many women do you know that fit that criteria? I know for me I have not yet met one in real life. I'm sure some russian weightlifter could kick my ass but most women I know are much much smaller and much weaker that I am in physical strength.

Being only slightly taller than the average female I know quite a few.