When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 11:59 AM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(16-09-2014 11:56 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 11:40 AM)wazzel Wrote:  Well the stereotypes do happen, but they are not applicable in every case.

I do not recall seeing anyone that is saying self-defense only is looking to give men a pass in an abuse situation. I know I would not, even if some of my poorly worded responses look otherwise.

Thats not what a stereotype is. A stereotype is a generalization about a group of people. While it may be true for the group, it is not necessarily true for individual members of that group.

Is assuming that men are always bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and the instigator of violence while women are not a stereotype or not?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 12:10 PM
(16-09-2014 11:55 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:11 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But those stereotypes are dumb, so there's that.

I dunno. I don't think stereotypes are dumb.

They pretty much are, by definition - they're unfounded assumptions based on (if anything at all) false generalisations.

(16-09-2014 11:55 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Its a little off topic but I find it interesting how no one has a problem with positive stereotypes....

"No one", eh? Quite a blanket statement, no?

(16-09-2014 11:55 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I never hear a black guy complaining about the stereotype that his dick is big. I don't hear any black guys shouting at the fact that there penis is small and they don't appreciate being stereotyped like that. Drinking Beverage

A) As with many traits, there are observable significant differences between human populations, and African populations do in fact have slightly larger male genitalia

B) People don't actually understand statistics, so a statement of "Average A is more X than average B" gets interpreted as "All A are more X than all B"

C) Such stereotypes don't occur in isolation in the broader culture, particularly racial stereotypes; how does penis size relate to the other old tropes - hypersexuality goes part and parcel with being animalistic...

D) Even if we grant a single example where a stereotype is not directly negative towards the target group, how often is that really the case? And is it not nonetheless true that most people resent others assuming anything about themselves?
(consider, perhaps, a black man with a smaller than average penis - does that stereotype help him? Or does it instead cause him greater distress, coming up against his partner(s)' reactions and society's expectations?)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
16-09-2014, 02:02 PM
(16-09-2014 11:55 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:11 AM)cjlr Wrote:  But those stereotypes are dumb, so there's that.

I dunno. I don't think stereotypes are dumb. Its a little off topic but I find it interesting how no one has a problem with positive stereotypes....

I never hear a black guy complaining about the stereotype that his dick is big. I don't hear any black guys shouting at the fact that there penis is small and they don't appreciate being stereotyped like that. Drinking Beverage
Yes off topic, but I'm your exception. I think positive stereotypes are offensive. Generalizing black men's genitalia, calling Asians "smart", assuming black people can run fast or jump high. No. Not okay. We are all individuals, and stereotypes piss me off.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
16-09-2014, 02:24 PM
(16-09-2014 10:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:27 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Yep
Let's just scoot over abuse of women in favor of giving men yet another break.
That'll help.

Of course.

However, I'm fairly certain I didn't say any such thing, but if you're party to an alternate universe where I did, would you let me know? I'm curious.

(16-09-2014 10:27 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  *Leaves thread*

Oh.

Well, so much for that dialogue.

Sorry CJ.
I have respect for you. I do.

This subject is just a rock I cannot push uphill anymore.
I've tried to get people to pay attention to violence against women since the 70s. I'm tired of explaining what it is and what causes it.
I don't want to share the conversation with what happens to men... that changes the focus and why we don't get anywhere century after century.

It is what it is.
And always shall be.

Seriously. .. I just give up.

Plz forgive.

Cheers

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-09-2014, 03:07 PM
(16-09-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 10:38 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Of course.

However, I'm fairly certain I didn't say any such thing, but if you're party to an alternate universe where I did, would you let me know? I'm curious.

Oh.

Well, so much for that dialogue.

Sorry CJ.

I've tried to get people to pay attention to violence against women since the 70s. I'm tired of explaining what it is and what causes it.
I don't want to share the conversation with what happens to men... that changes the focus and why we don't get anywhere century after century.

It is what it is.
And always shall be.

Plz forgive.

Cheers

I still don't see how that is a resonse to my statements in the thread, though.

I'm well aware of the history of gendered violence. I am not mitigating that. I am not dismissing that. But I do not see how the undeniable existence of a specific problem must necessarily preclude discussion of the non-specific case. And I feel that you would agree that any man or woman possesses the right to defend themselves.
(not that I think there's much actual discussion to be had on the topic, nor do I understand how this thread has ended up with 250 replies)

Perhaps there is additional personal context for you I'm not aware of. Perhaps you've seen similar discussions elsewhere go down bad roads. You suggested as much earlier in the thread. So be it; that's background I don't have, as a highly privileged man, gender-equitable though my upbringing may have been.

... this is my signature!
16-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Again, I think there is an extreme difference as to what each of us has in mind when we are discussing this thread. I don't think anybody is trying to find an excuse or justification to abuse women.

I think if we are to aim for equality, we should be viewing all forms of abuse and violence as wrong (without being stuck behind the idea that either sex gets a pass). That some cannot simply say, "there are some cases where a man must defend himself from a woman by use of blunt force" tells me that there is some sort of sexual inequality that is residing in your thought process if you cannot even admit that a man can be a victim too.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
16-09-2014, 04:08 PM
(16-09-2014 03:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 02:24 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Sorry CJ.

It is what it is.
And always shall be.

Plz forgive.

Cheers

I still don't see how that is a resonse to my statements in the thread, though.

I'm well aware of the history of gendered violence. I am not mitigating that. I am not dismissing that. But I do not see how the undeniable existence of a specific problem must necessarily preclude discussion of the non-specific case. And I feel that you would agree that any man or woman possesses the right to defend themselves.
(not that I think there's much actual discussion to be had on the topic, nor do I understand how this thread has ended up with 250 replies)

Perhaps there is additional personal context for you I'm not aware of. Perhaps you've seen similar discussions elsewhere go down bad roads. You suggested as much earlier in the thread. So be it; that's background I don't have, as a highly privileged man, gender-equitable though my upbringing may have been.

Beaten raped left for dead in college.
Also helped w battered women's shelter for years.
Yeah
Some of us get the story clearer than you think.

If the subject of" is it ok to hit women" ever gets addressed without having to discuss what all those poor poor men have to go through
...let me know.

I have yet in my lifetime been witness to grown men who can discuss crimes about women WITHOUT whining basically how women bring it on themselves.

Not once in my life have I seen men care about abuse towards women and NOT have to add...
But what about men. Sad

Rev is the exception.
And Taq.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-09-2014, 04:19 PM
(16-09-2014 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 03:07 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I still don't see how that is a resonse to my statements in the thread, though.

Beaten raped left for dead in college.
Yeah

If the subject of" is it ok to hit women" ever gets addressed without having to discuss what all those poor poor men have to go through
...let me know.

I have yet in my lifetime been witness to grown men who can discuss crimes about women WITHOUT whining basically how women bring it on themselves.

Not once in my life have I seen men care about abuse towards women and NOT have to add...
But what about men. Sad

Rev is the exception.
And Taq.

Hug

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-09-2014, 05:01 PM
(16-09-2014 04:08 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Beaten raped left for dead in college.
Yeah

Yabut, what's Rush "HillbillyHeroinHead" Limbaugh have to say about this. 'Cause his fucking fatass opinion is all that really matters to too large an audience. " 'No' means 'yes' if you know how to spot it."

Fatfuck needs to be sodomized with a spiked club.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-09-2014, 05:12 PM
(16-09-2014 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fatfuck needs to be sodomized with a spiked club.

Basically what people have been trying to say about him since he started his show.