When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 05:21 PM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
*sigh*, it's a matter of addressing the larger problem/scope of violence against human individuals. Violence against women is a subset of violence against humans. I'm trying to address violence against humans without saying that some human groups have more right to be more violent than others. I also don't want to say that that some groups aren't allowed to defend themselves (thus giving some groups more privilege to be more violent towards those groups).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
16-09-2014, 05:32 PM
(16-09-2014 05:21 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  *sigh*, it's a matter of addressing the larger problem/scope of violence against human individuals. Violence against women is a subset of violence against humans. I'm trying to address violence against humans without saying that some human groups have more right to be more violent than others. I also don't want to say that that some groups aren't allowed to defend themselves (thus giving some groups more privilege to be more violent towards those groups).

Yes and that is a position that ignores reality.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
16-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm not talking about present day statistics, I'm talking about what is right and wrong. Approaching equality.

16-09-2014, 05:39 PM
(16-09-2014 05:33 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not talking about present day statistics, I'm talking about what is right and wrong. Approaching equality.

Yes, and in doing this you have to igone the present. Violence against Women and Children is worse than violence against Men precisely because they have less ability to defend themselves. Yes that is a blanket statement and you can pick outliers and anomalies all day but on average the average man has little to fear physically from the average woman unless a weapon is involved.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-09-2014, 05:42 PM
I'm not saying that those problems don't exist. And I'm sure as hell not saying that because those problems exist, women get a pass (or special treatment) when assaulting another person if that person happens to be male.

16-09-2014, 05:50 PM
(16-09-2014 05:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not saying that those problems don't exist. And I'm sure as hell not saying that because those problems exist, women get a pass (or special treatment) when assaulting another person if that person happens to be male.

No they don't, a woman hits a man he should walk away and call the cops. She goes to jail. However once you as a man begin to hit her back when you had other options you are as guilty as her.

16-09-2014, 06:00 PM
(16-09-2014 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:42 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I'm not saying that those problems don't exist. And I'm sure as hell not saying that because those problems exist, women get a pass (or special treatment) when assaulting another person if that person happens to be male.

No they don't, a woman hits a man he should walk away and call the cops. She goes to jail. However once you as a man begin to hit her back when you had other options you are as guilty as her.
That's 100% fine, as long as you apply the same reasoning to when a man hits a man, then I have no issue. If physical difference is the point you want to focus on, then we lose the reasoning behind women getting special treatment and it just becomes a matter of physique.

16-09-2014, 06:03 PM
(16-09-2014 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nope, not always. Sometimes it is self defense.

Indeed.

If someone assaults you, then you are entitled to defend yourself. In virtually every jurisdiction on the planet.

That allowance goes only as far as preventing further harm to yourself. A disproportionate response is also assault.

I wouldn't have thought it complicated.
Ill quote Cjlr, since I think he stated it well.

16-09-2014, 06:12 PM
(16-09-2014 06:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 05:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No they don't, a woman hits a man he should walk away and call the cops. She goes to jail. However once you as a man begin to hit her back when you had other options you are as guilty as her.
That's 100% fine, as long as you apply the same reasoning to when a man hits a man, then I have no issue. If physical difference is the point you want to focus on, then we lose the reasoning behind women getting special treatment and it just becomes a matter of physique.

Actually the law is pretty clear on the fact that if someone hits you and you do not hit back they go to jail.

(16-09-2014 06:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 08:50 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Indeed.

If someone assaults you, then you are entitled to defend yourself. In virtually every jurisdiction on the planet.

That allowance goes only as far as preventing further harm to yourself. A disproportionate response is also assault.

I wouldn't have thought it complicated.
Ill quote Cjlr, since I think he stated it well.

This is the crux of the argument. Disproportionate response when someone 3/4 your size or smaller is hitting you would be to hit them back. I am not saying you cannot restrain them to prevent them doing anything further but once you start wailing on them you will probably be going to jail.

[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-09-2014, 06:43 PM
(16-09-2014 06:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-09-2014 06:00 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  That's 100% fine, as long as you apply the same reasoning to when a man hits a man, then I have no issue. If physical difference is the point you want to focus on, then we lose the reasoning behind women getting special treatment and it just becomes a matter of physique.

Actually the law is pretty clear on the fact that if someone hits you and you do not hit back they go to jail.

(16-09-2014 06:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Ill quote Cjlr, since I think he stated it well.

This is the crux of the argument. Disproportionate response when someone 3/4 your size or smaller is hitting you would be to hit them back. I am not saying you cannot restrain them to prevent them doing anything further but once you start wailing on them you will probably be going to jail.

Rev
It's always the same.
Except for I think this newer generation of young adults are even more* poor me* than the generations before them.
You just keep hoping a smart bunch of adults will step up and solve such ancient issues...
Yet each generation more spoiled than the one before.

I give up.
The entire conversation of getting people to HEAR statistics and give a shit just gets lost in all the whining and demand for equality.

Tell you what I'll address female abuse equal to male abuse as soon as women are genuinely equal citizens.

Lol
Like that will ever happen.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.