When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 05:59 PM by DLJ.)
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
I used to have a flatmate who tweaked my nipples at any opportunity.

Would it be OK for me to do the same?

Consider

Female flatmate, btw.

Dodgy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2014, 02:21 PM
(08-09-2014 02:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I used to have flatmate who tweaked my nipples at any opportunity.

Would it be OK for me to do the same?

Consider

Female flatmate, btw.

Dodgy
I'd say yes, but that's just me.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-09-2014, 02:38 PM
(08-09-2014 02:10 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well I meant I would hit a woman back if it was self defense too and those same things apply to guys, I wouldn't hit a guy first for no reason, I like to help people and if a guy was angry at me I would try and calm him down and fix things just like I would a woman. This whole subject is about guys and woman not guys and guys so why are you even bringing it up? It has nothing to do with what is being talked about. Seems like your just trying to stamp me as anti-feminist. I wouldn't hit a guy first either, I'd have no reason to but the subject of this post is when its ok for a guy to hit women, not when is it ok for a guy to hit another guy, if it was my answer would be the same for guys. I do not appreciate being judged and called sexist when I am not.

I brought it up because, while most mentioned "people", rather than "women", or otherwise said that their opinions applied to both genders, you did not. You specifically mentioned women and only said that we shouldn't hit women. I also brought it up because, for whatever reason, women hitting men is accepted by many people, so I (wrongly) extrapolated from your wording that you were one of them. My apologies.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
[+] 3 users Like One Above All's post
08-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Aww

Heart (Jdog) Hug(OneAboveAll) Heart

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
08-09-2014, 02:47 PM
(08-09-2014 02:38 PM)One Above All Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 02:10 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Well I meant I would hit a woman back if it was self defense too and those same things apply to guys, I wouldn't hit a guy first for no reason, I like to help people and if a guy was angry at me I would try and calm him down and fix things just like I would a woman. This whole subject is about guys and woman not guys and guys so why are you even bringing it up? It has nothing to do with what is being talked about. Seems like your just trying to stamp me as anti-feminist. I wouldn't hit a guy first either, I'd have no reason to but the subject of this post is when its ok for a guy to hit women, not when is it ok for a guy to hit another guy, if it was my answer would be the same for guys. I do not appreciate being judged and called sexist when I am not.

I brought it up because, while most mentioned "people", rather than "women", or otherwise said that their opinions applied to both genders, you did not. You specifically mentioned women and only said that we shouldn't hit women. I also brought it up because, for whatever reason, women hitting men is accepted by many people, so I (wrongly) extrapolated from your wording that you were one of them. My apologies.

Thank you for apologizing and I can see where you could get that. I was just answering to the specific question and because the question was specific about men hitting women I didn't feel the need to clarify on men hitting men because the OP didn't ask for opinions on that subject. Maybe I should have clarified further and if I should have then that is my fault and I apologize for that .

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Pretty controversial topic, but I am not opposed to hitting if the case deemed fit. I've never done it, but I've been hit and smacked by plenty of females and I don't think they should be able to do it without expecting a similar reaction. If you don't want violence then don't bring it into an argument. I'm all for using words and opposed to violence in general.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
08-09-2014, 03:04 PM
(08-09-2014 12:50 PM)pablo Wrote:  If a woman hits you there are options other than beating the shit out of her.
Just get the hell away from her, protect yourself defensively, not offensively.

I just want to add that this is probably also a good strategy if a man hits you. Why escalate a fight if you can avoid it?
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
08-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Interesting, touchy topic!

Women are certainly capable of being bullies, and the "you can't hit me back 'cause I'm a woman" is just one more piece of their manipulation and abuse of their partner. I do agree its a problem and that it's important to raise awareness.

I think this article leaves some holes, but nonetheless it makes some good points. It states 85% of DV victims are women, and 15% are male. It doesn't state if the perpetrators of the men are also men.

http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/me...-violence/

I've taken quite a few women to the OR and have splinted a LOT of bones due to domestic violence. The only adult male patients I ever had as DV victims were gay - meaning their MALE partners beat the shit out of them. The focus of domestic violence tends to be on women (and children) because they are typically the victims with the most catastrophic injuries. Also, there is a social stigma attached to a man reporting DV. Historically, women have been the ones with the fewest resources to leave an abusive relationship. Men are not showing up en masse at emergency departments for liver lacerations, head bleeds, and fractures - at least, not at the hands of a woman. Note I said HANDS. Completely different ball game when we start talking weapons.

If I ever were to hit my husband, in my opinion, he would only be justified in using enough force to protect himself and subdue me. He is highly trained, larger, and stronger. Let's be realistic here, I'd be more likely to break my hand than him actually get injured. And I'd still deserve to be arrested after being enough of a dumbass to hit him. Have I ever hit him? No. Shoved him? No. Slapped him? No. Are there women who do this? Yes, and they should be prosecuted and the man should dump her sorry ass.

My opinion in a nutshell:
When you cross the point of self defense, you have gone too far, man or woman.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 5 users Like Nurse's post
08-09-2014, 03:14 PM
The rules of the gentlemen and Ladies era said that men did not hit women, and women would administer one slap in the face when disrespected.

Bear in mind, everyone was extremely proper then, at least in public. Opening doors and bowing and ladies tilting their head in recognition and all that pomp and circumstance.

Reality for most has always been different, in most cases women were weaker and slighter than men, or pregnant (the lower classes were pregnant all the time), and husbands beat the crap out of their wives back then. Women were stuck, no jobs for women outside the home, no way to survive but prostitution or marriage.

With women's lib, things have come a long ways from that. With the exception of some areas of law, women have pretty much equal rights now (almost, just almost).

Now it's about fairness. If two people of the same strength want to fight each other physically, that's their problem.

If a strong person beats up on a weak one - shame on you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
08-09-2014, 03:17 PM
(08-09-2014 02:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 02:38 PM)One Above All Wrote:  I brought it up because, while most mentioned "people", rather than "women", or otherwise said that their opinions applied to both genders, you did not. You specifically mentioned women and only said that we shouldn't hit women. I also brought it up because, for whatever reason, women hitting men is accepted by many people, so I (wrongly) extrapolated from your wording that you were one of them. My apologies.

Thank you for apologizing and I can see where you could get that. I was just answering to the specific question and because the question was specific about men hitting women I didn't feel the need to clarify on men hitting men because the OP didn't ask for opinions on that subject. Maybe I should have clarified further and if I should have then that is my fault and I apologize for that .

It's so warm and fuzzy in here! Thumbsup
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post