When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(08-09-2014 03:19 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  It is never ok for a man to hit a woman.

Never.

Trying to drag logic or explanation is only an excuse. Check your motivation for needing to strike a female.

#1 dumbest thread I've seen here to date.

Sorry but if a woman is coming at me with a knife I'm going to knock her out, I'm not just going to let her stab me. If she was just gonna slap me or something no I wouldn't hit her but there's a certain point to where if your life is in danger, no matter who is attacking you, male or female, you have to defend yourself sometimes even with violence.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
(08-09-2014 03:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  WTAF is it with all these threads about feminism and hitting women etc?

Dunno. I just participate in them for kicks.

(08-09-2014 03:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To the "Guys", if you are insecure of your masculinity try not to show it FFS.

I'm as insecure about an irrelevant term as an apatheist is about the existence of deities.

(08-09-2014 03:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It's like waving a big red flag over your heads that says "I have a small dick and I'm going to make up for it by being a mysoginistic prick". Facepalm

You must show me the misogyny in this thread. As far as I can tell, everyone has simply stated that being a woman does not exempt you from being hit back in self-defense.
Also, the fact that you automatically assume everyone who participated in this thread (without insulting anyone) has a small dick speaks volumes about your insecurities.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
(08-09-2014 03:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:31 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Not even in a selfdefence situation? Men shod just take their beatings from women?

One of the advantages of sexual dimorphism is that, in general, men don't have to take beatings from women. A man should be able to remove himself from a self defense situation without resorting to violence.

Due to the differences in upper body strength, joint leverages, and even jaw structure, male violence against women poses a significant risk of serious physical injury which is why I would agree with WitchSabrina - it's never OK for a man to hit a woman.
Except that it is completely observable walking down any street that you can see women who are larger and stronger than smaller or skinnier men. A blanket statement like yours ignores the 5'2 120 lb man who is being harassed by a 5'6 150 lb woman. Size and strength differences are not universally sex-specific.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
08-09-2014, 03:51 PM
(08-09-2014 03:26 PM)wazzel Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:04 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Interesting, touchy topic!

Women are certainly capable of being bullies, and the "you can't hit me back 'cause I'm a woman" is just one more piece of their manipulation and abuse of their partner. I do agree its a problem and that it's important to raise awareness.

I think this article leaves some holes, but nonetheless it makes some good points. It states 85% of DV victims are women, and 15% are male. It doesn't state if the perpetrators of the men are also men.

http://domesticviolencestatistics.org/me...-violence/

I've taken quite a few women to the OR and have splinted a LOT of bones due to domestic violence. The only adult male patients I ever had as DV victims were gay - meaning their MALE partners beat the shit out of them. The focus of domestic violence tends to be on women (and children) because they are typically the victims with the most catastrophic injuries. Also, there is a social stigma attached to a man reporting DV. Historically, women have been the ones with the fewest resources to leave an abusive relationship. Men are not showing up en masse at emergency departments for liver lacerations, head bleeds, and fractures - at least, not at the hands of a woman. Note I said HANDS. Completely different ball game when we start talking weapons.

If I ever were to hit my husband, in my opinion, he would only be justified in using enough force to protect himself and subdue me. He is highly trained, larger, and stronger. Let's be realistic here, I'd be more likely to break my hand than him actually get injured. And I'd still deserve to be arrested after being enough of a dumbass to hit him. Have I ever hit him? No. Shoved him? No. Slapped him? No. Are there women who do this? Yes, and they should be prosecuted and the man should dump her sorry ass.

My opinion in a nutshell:
When you cross the point of self defense, you have gone too far, man or woman.

CDC says differently

http://www.saveservices.org/2012/02/cdc-...ner-abuse/

From the article you cited:

Quote:...the NISVS 2011 survey reports that in the last 12 months, 41.7% of the victims of severe physical violence were men. (Tables 4.7 and 4.8) 4 Of the 4,741,000 female victims of violence, two-thirds (3,163,000 or 66.7%) were subjected to severe physical violence. (Table 4.7) For men, over 4 out of 10 (2,266,000 or 42.3%) were subjected to severe physical violence. The number of men is smaller, but that is still 2.26 million men. Well over $1 billion is spent to help female victims, but there are virtually no services available in the country for over 2 million men who are victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner.

These statistics do help support the need for policy change and providing resources to male victims.

I like the quote at the end:
Quote:In short, we need to recognize that intimate partner violence is a people problem, not a women’s problem.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
(08-09-2014 03:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  One of the advantages of sexual dimorphism is that, in general, men don't have to take beatings from women. A man should be able to remove himself from a self defense situation without resorting to violence.

Due to the differences in upper body strength, joint leverages, and even jaw structure, male violence against women poses a significant risk of serious physical injury which is why I would agree with WitchSabrina - it's never OK for a man to hit a woman.

You went from "in general", when speaking of men not having to "take beatings from women", to "never", when speaking of when it's OK for a man to hit a woman. Mind explaining the thought process behind that transition? Or did you also mean to imply that it's never OK for a woman to hit a man?

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
08-09-2014, 03:53 PM
(08-09-2014 03:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:31 PM)wazzel Wrote:  Not even in a selfdefence situation? Men shod just take their beatings from women?

One of the advantages of sexual dimorphism is that, in general, men don't have to take beatings from women. A man should be able to remove himself from a self defense situation without resorting to violence.

There are women MMA fighters who could easily kick a mans ass.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
08-09-2014, 04:10 PM
(08-09-2014 03:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  One of the advantages of sexual dimorphism is that, in general, men don't have to take beatings from women. A man should be able to remove himself from a self defense situation without resorting to violence.

There are women MMA fighters who could easily kick a mans ass.

And female MMA fighters are outliers. Men that are shorter and thinner than me are still stronger than me - unless they are cachectic (malnourished). I don't think Can of Beans argument of sexual dimorphism should be dismissed based off of female MMA fighters. Besides, data shows that a lot of the physical violence perpetrated upon men utilizes weapons. Thus my argument of self defense. I don't think anyone here is saying, "bro, you're just gonna have to let that chick stab you cause you know you can't hit a woman." But striking a woman should rarely be necessary even in self defense. My husband would have no problems subduing me without landing one blow.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
08-09-2014, 04:24 PM
(08-09-2014 04:10 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 03:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  There are women MMA fighters who could easily kick a mans ass.

And female MMA fighters are outliers.
<snip>
My husband would have no problems subduing me without landing one blow.

Yet, per your description below, your husband is also an outlier.
(08-09-2014 03:04 PM)Nurse Wrote:  If I ever were to hit my husband, in my opinion, he would only be justified in using enough force to protect himself and subdue me. He is highly trained, larger, and stronger.
I want to note that sexual dimorphism is very real (obviously). The strongest man on Earth is stronger than the strongest woman on Earth. However, most people aren't really all that strong. Unless someone has a genetic predisposition for acquiring muscle mass without much effort and/or actively works out, you'll find that people with the same eating habits are fairly equal in terms of strength. These statements are based on my personal experience. For example, I saw a male friend of mine having trouble arm wrestling a female friend of mine. In fact, at the rate they were going (slowly moving back and forth), they'd most likely lose all their strength before reaching a conclusion. The guy, at the time, played basketball. She, four or five years prior to the arm wrestling, rode horses.

08-09-2014, 04:26 PM
(08-09-2014 04:10 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I don't think anyone here is saying, "bro, you're just gonna have to let that chick stab you cause you know you can't hit a woman." But striking a woman should rarely be necessary even in self defense. My husband would have no problems subduing me without landing one blow.

I know, I was saying you shouldn't hit a woman unless you really have to. I'm just saying that a woman isn't automatically weaker because she is a woman, even non MMA there are still women out there who can be stronger than a man. Even with simple self-defense martial arts, a woman could take a man who maybe doesn't have fighting experience. Hell, I'm sure you could kick my ass.

[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
08-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I am going to withhold my opinion on this but would like to know why the question is being asked.

Is there reason the OP wants to know if he can hit a woman?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post