When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2014, 04:37 PM
RE: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
(08-09-2014 12:18 PM)wazzel Wrote:  OK you may think I am a jerk for feeling this way, but I feel a person of any gender is free and clear to beat the crap out of anyone, regardless of gender, that hit them first. If a woman goes and hits a man she better be ready for him to hit back. I find it absurd that women get a pass on this.

I was raised to never hit a woman, and I remember asking why frequently, never got what I thought was a straight answer, though now I do understand, I reject the 'never hit a woman' thing, far as I am concerned it is 'never hit an anybody unless you have no choice'.

Fact is, I'd never start a fight myself; I'm too much of a pansy and too aware of my own disabilities in such an area to start shit, but if push did come down to shove, you can bet your ass that regardless of my assailant's sex, I'm not going to think about sexual dimorphism or whether my hitting back is 'right'.
The only thoughts that will be crossing my mind will be getting myself out of that situation, and I dare-say that the same goes for most.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
08-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Re: When is it OK for a man to hit a woman?
I don't think it's reasonable to hit anyone in a serious manner unless health threatening.

Any concept of they hit me first is a poor excuse to me. It's the rationale a child uses about his sibling hitting em first.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
08-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Change out man and woman for person and person. Then that will answer your question better.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
08-09-2014, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 05:01 PM by goodwithoutgod.)
interpersonal domestic violence is an indication that you lack the intellect to be able to communicate with each other, so you hit them instead. Regardless of who hit who. I have been hit once, I turned and left, and filed for divorce the next day while living in a hotel room. Somethings just don't get better with time, and to me, that transgression does not ever, ever deserve another chance.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
08-09-2014, 05:19 PM

I'd like to take a moment and dedicate this song to all the wife beaters out there Tongue

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
08-09-2014, 05:29 PM
(08-09-2014 04:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  interpersonal domestic violence is an indication that you lack the intellect to be able to communicate with each other, so you hit them instead. Regardless of who hit who. I have been hit once, I turned and left, and filed for divorce the next day while living in a hotel room. Somethings just don't get better with time, and to me, that transgression does not ever, ever deserve another chance.

intellect or desire?

In fairness, my ex was very intelligent and only got violent when she was drunk.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2014, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 04:57 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
(08-09-2014 05:29 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-09-2014 04:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  interpersonal domestic violence is an indication that you lack the intellect to be able to communicate with each other, so you hit them instead. Regardless of who hit who. I have been hit once, I turned and left, and filed for divorce the next day while living in a hotel room. Somethings just don't get better with time, and to me, that transgression does not ever, ever deserve another chance.

intellect or desire?

In fairness, my ex was very intelligent and only got violent when she was drunk.

Fair question, both I suppose go hand in hand. I found out she was cheating, I questioned her, she went on the offensive, got angrier that I wasn't backing down from her verbal assault and punched me in the face, I just looked at her, and left. I knew at that moment there was no going back...ever. No one deserves that, and in that situation I damned sure didn't. So glad I had the nerve to walk, now I have a wonderful woman who dotes on my every word, yet has the irish temper to go toe to toe intellectually over things...thankfully she is as militant of an atheist as I am...I am a better man because of her. Life is too short to be miserable, and I think i paid my dues.

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
08-09-2014, 05:34 PM
There's no 'never', no absolute answer. It's entirely situational. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
08-09-2014, 05:43 PM
I agree that it's fine if it's something agreed upon, like a boxing match. However, I disagree with the "If she hits me first, then I get a free pass to hit her" idea. That's a very immature concept. If your safety is not threatened, leave the situation or call the authorities. Physical violence should ALWAYS be the last resort. Only children say "She did it first!" Of course, everyone has the right to defend themselves and protect their safety, when it's truly necessary.
[+] 1 user Likes FritzyBits's post
08-09-2014, 05:52 PM
(08-09-2014 05:43 PM)FritzyBits Wrote:  I agree that it's fine if it's something agreed upon, like a boxing match. However, I disagree with the "If she hits me first, then I get a free pass to hit her" idea. That's a very immature concept. If your safety is not threatened, leave the situation or call the authorities. Physical violence should ALWAYS be the last resort. Only children say "She did it first!" Of course, everyone has the right to defend themselves and protect their safety, when it's truly necessary.

...and from my previous experience as a law enforcement agent, lets say she hit you, you hit her back, with no witnesses, whomever has the least damage gets to be considered the aggressor. LE has no way to determine who hit who first, but whomever commenced to whooping the others ass because of it is considered the one who went "beyond reasonable reaction" and gets a free ride to jail and a domestic charge. About even damage, both get a ride. I have seen that swing both directions. In Florida at least.

[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post