When is it morally okay to kill a human being?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-10-2015, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015 09:00 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
RE: When is it morally okay to kill a human being?
(15-10-2015 08:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It is rationally okay to kill a human when the potential rewards outweigh the potential risks. Whether or not it is morally okay depends on a combination of whatever culture we were raised in and whether or not the proposed act triggers our empathy, both of which are factors completely out of our control and both of which differ from person to person. The question is therefore not possible to answer definitively.

If I weren't joking when I said I'd cook her and eat her, you couldn't rationally say I was immoral within the context of who I am. Sure, you could label me based on your own criteria, but no amount of rationalizing could change your criteria into my own criteria.

I don't know your own criteria because you have remained silent on it.

Does your moral code allow you to recycle the woman because she didn't turn out like you wanted? It is your station and your choice. Are you pro-choice or pro-life when it comes to writing space law?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 08:56 PM
[Image: 2000px-AQMI_Flag.svg.png]

I`d argue it isnt just moraly ok to kill these people, but that it is a moral obligation to kill these people.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
15-10-2015, 09:02 PM
(15-10-2015 08:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't know your criteria because you have remained silent on it.
I half jokingly, half seriously refer to myself as a domesticated borderline psychopath. Some situations I empathize with more than others, and I can't necessarily explain why. It's just a gut feeling. Beyond that, my criteria is best left off a public forum.

Quote:Does your moral code allow you to recycle the woman because she didn't turn out like you wanted?

It would depend on how I felt at the time. If I felt no empathy for her and I was either A: absolutely sure I would not get into legal trouble or B: believed that having her around would hinder me from achieving my objectives more so than the potential consequences of recycling her, whatever they might be in this hypothetical future, then yes I'd recycle her ass.

'Murican Canadian
15-10-2015, 09:03 PM
(15-10-2015 04:02 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:18 PM)mediocrates Wrote:  CricketsSleepyCrickets

I'm bored of this. Impossible moral conundrums are lame.

It is only impossible if the axioms by which you base your morality are not consistent with each other. To me the question is easy. The 3D printed human is a human being and all human beings require moral protection whether they are a person or a potential person. The choice to recycle the human being is immoral.

I put this thread in politics because it is about abortion. The station is under the complete control of the lone occupant. It is his choice to allow another human being of his choosing to occupy it...that is true. But him killing another human being to exercise his choice is immoral as far as I am concerned.

But if he is the creator of the person then the life he giveth he can taketh away. That's what your God does.
15-10-2015, 09:07 PM
(15-10-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I half jokingly, half seriously refer to myself as a domesticated borderline psychopath. Some situations I empathize with more than others, and I can't necessarily explain why. It's just a gut feeling. Beyond that, my criteria is best left off a public forum.

Quote:Does your moral code allow you to recycle the woman because she didn't turn out like you wanted?

It would depend on how I felt at the time. If I felt no empathy for her and I was either A: absolutely sure I would not get into legal trouble or B: believed that having her around would hinder me from achieving my objectives more so than the potential consequences of recycling her, whatever they might be in this hypothetical future, then yes I'd recycle her ass.

I edited my post while/after you responded to it. Sounds like when it comes to futuristic space law....you are pro-choice.
15-10-2015, 09:09 PM
(15-10-2015 09:03 PM)KUSA Wrote:  But if he is the creator of the person then the life he giveth he can taketh away. That's what your God does.

You do not know my God.
15-10-2015, 09:15 PM
(15-10-2015 09:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:03 PM)KUSA Wrote:  But if he is the creator of the person then the life he giveth he can taketh away. That's what your God does.

You do not know my God.

And neither do you.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
15-10-2015, 09:21 PM
(15-10-2015 09:15 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You do not know my God.

And neither do you.

Yeah but at least you don't see me making shit up about Him and posting it on internet forums like you do. Why is it there is always some atheist around who thinks they know what every theists believes?
15-10-2015, 09:29 PM
(15-10-2015 09:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:15 PM)KUSA Wrote:  And neither do you.

Yeah but at least you don't see me making shit up about Him and posting it on internet forums like you do. Why is it there is always some atheist around who thinks they know what every theists believes?

I don't get the contention or defensiveness of what you "believe"

If this god is real, doesn't by some association everyone know God? Otherwise it's an awkward definition of God if it at least isn't something that created us all in some convention.

That's not something so centered on what a persons belief or stance is in regards to a moral question. I would be curious to know how neuroscientific scans of these types of questions would be answered, but I think it's also lacking in information people would want prior to giving an answer.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-10-2015, 09:49 PM
(15-10-2015 09:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Yeah but at least you don't see me making shit up about Him and posting it on internet forums like you do.
How do you know it is a "Him".
Does your god have male reproductive organs?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post