When is it morally okay to kill a human being?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-10-2015, 10:34 PM
RE: When is it morally okay to kill a human being?
(15-10-2015 10:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I half jokingly, half seriously refer to myself as a domesticated borderline psychopath. Some situations I empathize with more than others, and I can't necessarily explain why. It's just a gut feeling. Beyond that, my criteria is best left off a public forum.

I think the reason abortion is legal is because most people do not empathize with the unborn. I understand that. But you can't empathize with the 3D printed woman either because to empathize is share the feeling of another. The 3D printed woman has no feelings. Under general anesthesia....you have no feelings either....yet you deserve moral protection. Empathy isn't a good basis to formulate a moral position.

You actually have not the slightest clue when and why abortions occur, and the vast array of reasons women have in making the decision to terminate a pregnancy. Doesn't your fool god have any moral reason for the more than 50 % of pregnancies she terminates ? Evolution built in empathy for survival. Since you have never studied Ethics, you actually know nothing about Deontology and the ''duty" to care, and how that arises, and why a clump of cells does not engage that duty.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 10:45 PM
(15-10-2015 10:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  When I was concocting the story I was going to have your mate re-program the computer to give you Kim Davis instead of Zoe Saldana as a gag. I left it out for brevity.

Wait... I thought the main character was alone?
15-10-2015, 10:52 PM
(15-10-2015 10:45 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 10:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  When I was concocting the story I was going to have your mate re-program the computer to give you Kim Davis instead of Zoe Saldana as a gag. I left it out for brevity.

Wait... I thought the main character was alone?

That is how it turned out in the final version of the story. I contemplated adding a lot of stuff....like programming a 10 year life span into the 3D printed woman, etc. I thought about the mate re-programming the computer as a gag being the previous occupant of the station etc. This wasn't meant to be a short story but rather a post to stir up some discussion. It needed to be short and sweet and consequently a lot of stings got left loose.
15-10-2015, 11:18 PM
(15-10-2015 10:34 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You actually have not the slightest clue when and why abortions occur,

The vast majority of abortions occur because the pregnancy and resulting person that needs to be cared for are an inconvenience to the mother.
15-10-2015, 11:19 PM
(15-10-2015 10:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I half jokingly, half seriously refer to myself as a domesticated borderline psychopath. Some situations I empathize with more than others, and I can't necessarily explain why. It's just a gut feeling. Beyond that, my criteria is best left off a public forum.

I think the reason abortion is legal is because most people do not empathize with the unborn. I understand that. But you can't empathize with the 3D printed woman either because to empathize is share the feeling of another. The 3D printed woman has no feelings. Under general anesthesia....you have no feelings either....yet you deserve moral protection. Empathy isn't a good basis to formulate a moral position.

[Image: 6nbau.jpg]

Well, I guess we should all be thankful you can't have kids.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmm Zoe Saldana.

That's all I have to say about that.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-10-2015, 11:41 PM
(15-10-2015 10:26 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The 3D printed woman has no feelings. Under general anesthesia....you have no feelings either....yet you deserve moral protection. Empathy isn't a good basis to formulate a moral position.

At this point you hit a strange dilemma.

Why do you conclude that? Do YOU have a hard time empathizing in that scenario? Or do you not struggle but think it's conflicting that others disagree with what you think? Why do you conclude this is an empathy to the unborn/3D printed issue?

You understand people empathize with things without feelings, CONSTANTLY right? Maybe you don't do this so you don't understand. Personification of ones items: car, chair, toy, etc. Or even things they don't know have previous connections to and don't know the feeling of like a random bug, flower, or a particular dollar bill. There is people empathizing with robots not yet made and the potential of ones, even the robotic spider-shaped walker robots made in Massachusetts.

Have you ever read Do Electric Sheep Sleep at night? Or seen Bladerunner. Trying to come up with your own situation isn't the wisest way to demonstrate a scenario. One could just formulate it off already examined political charged sci-fi texts. I mentioned before, vaguely, but your scenario lacks still some forms of data about the being, the same that is a significant factor why fetus's are understood differently than you claim. I don't know why you leave it out or you just really don't understand something somehow.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-10-2015, 12:42 AM
(15-10-2015 08:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:37 PM)yakherder Wrote:  It is rationally okay to kill a human when the potential rewards outweigh the potential risks. Whether or not it is morally okay depends on a combination of whatever culture we were raised in and whether or not the proposed act triggers our empathy, both of which are factors completely out of our control and both of which differ from person to person. The question is therefore not possible to answer definitively.

If I weren't joking when I said I'd cook her and eat her, you couldn't rationally say I was immoral within the context of who I am. Sure, you could label me based on your own criteria, but no amount of rationalizing could change your criteria into my own criteria.

I don't know your own criteria because you have remained silent on it.

Does your moral code allow you to recycle the woman because she didn't turn out like you wanted? It is your station and your choice. Are you pro-choice or pro-life when it comes to writing space law?

Look everyone! A xian disguising himself/herself as a non xian.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-10-2015, 12:51 AM
(16-10-2015 12:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 08:51 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't know your own criteria because you have remained silent on it.

Does your moral code allow you to recycle the woman because she didn't turn out like you wanted? It is your station and your choice. Are you pro-choice or pro-life when it comes to writing space law?

Look everyone! A xian disguising himself/herself as a non xian.

Look at Banjo everyone! A troll disguising himself/herself as a non troll.

You see I can make blanket irrelevant statements too. Even Bucky can. You're not special Bud.
16-10-2015, 12:59 AM
(16-10-2015 12:51 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-10-2015 12:42 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Look everyone! A xian disguising himself/herself as a non xian.

Look at Banjo everyone! A troll disguising himself/herself as a non troll.

You see I can make blanket irrelevant statements too. Even Bucky can. You're not special Bud.

You're no Bucky Blow Job.

You'r a mental midget if ever I saw one. Aside from Alla, but I no longer consider Alla ireal and consider that character a POE

As for you? I consider you a lying bastard who thinks he has a brain.

Whereas I have told everyone I left school to work full time. So sadly have less education. Having said that I've read virtually all the classics, including the ancients.

As for you, the entire site considers you a troll. And they are correct.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.