When is it morally okay to kill a human being?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-10-2015, 04:08 AM
RE: When is it morally okay to kill a human being?
Yes, Heywood, Okay? Is that the answer you're looking for? Then yes. It is perfectly OK for her to kill you.
Angel

(15-10-2015 11:30 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Mmmmmmmmmmm Zoe Saldana.

That's all I have to say about that.

There ain't really much else to say, is there? Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
16-10-2015, 04:19 AM
(16-10-2015 04:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yes, Heywood, Okay? Is that the answer you're looking for? Then yes. It is perfectly OK for her to kill you.
Angel

[Image: 3522288.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-10-2015, 04:26 AM
When is it morally okay to kill a human being?
(15-10-2015 09:21 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 09:15 PM)KUSA Wrote:  And neither do you.

Yeah but at least you don't see me making shit up about Him and posting it on internet forums like you do. Why is it there is always some atheist around who thinks they know what every theists believes?

Sure you do. Anything you say about God is made up. God is made up.
[+] 3 users Like KUSA's post
16-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Quote:When is it morally okay to kill a human being?

When you take communion of their flesh.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
16-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Ghost - Year Zero

http://www.vevo.com/watch/ghost-bc/year-...UV71300503
16-10-2015, 12:57 PM
(15-10-2015 04:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 04:14 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Ok, let me tweek you premiss a little then. Let's say your 3D printer mess up more then just giving the wrong face. Let's say this printer made a being with only 1/3 a brain. Or missed major chunks on the anatomy. A simple dump in the hopper, a little reprogramming and Bam! The being would have a new lease on life. Full brain, full cognitive abilities. It would be immoral not to give that being a second chance.

I do have a 3D printer and sometimes prints do get messed up. I have a print of an invention of mine that messed up. When I get around to it, I'm going to take the print out to my shop, and then cut the messed up portion off with my chop saw. Then I will just re-print the missing section and glue it on. In this case it is easy. The 3D printer printed my invention and it is clearly my invention, just a small section of it messed up....so I can fix it fairly easily.

I haven't thought about fixing a messed up print of a 3D human being so I am not sure how to answer your question. If the 3D print of a human being was indeed a human being I would be morally obligated to fix him or her if I could. For instance suppose I printed a human being but the left foot messed up. If I could simply cut off the bad foot and reprint new one....then I have an obligation to do that.

Suppose I was the occupant of the space station and my printer printed a girl with Down Syndrome. I would be morally obligated to wake that person and care for that person. It would be wrong for me to simply recycle her and try again.

In RL we are born with unknown outcomes. A person could be born with a long nose, brown eyes, gendoerl, down syndrome..ect. We care for people with down syndrome (at least in today's socoitys http://www.history.com/news/history-list...ng-spartan ) because we understand this person is an individual that still has feelings and emotions, just a little off. "Everyone's a snowflake" If that person is destroyed you'll never see another like him/her.

In the hypothetical reality you presented life is created very simply. With a close to "perfection" out come. With this printer (and the correct amount of materials) You could create 100 Kate Uptons. They would think and act all the same way because that is how they were made.

In this hypothetical world it's just you, and lets call her Dawn Cindome. You original created Dawn for a purpose, whether it be for sexual gratification, companionship, or maybe to assist you in some way of creating a foundational outpost for future explorers. Is Dawn going to help with any of this? Another thought I had is this is a reality where people can be printed like materials. And interstellar travel, maybe they would have a cure to any sort of birth defect or desises that would come there way.

I have meet only a few people that have had Down Syndrome in my life. The few I have meet are very loving and kind. They have a view on life I will probably never see. But they have care givers, or there parents that tend to them for most if not all of their lives. I had a college professor that had a son with DS. Him and his wife were smart intellectual people. You could always hear the fustration in his voice when he talked about his son. He cared for him but he stated "My son will always be 5. If we didn't hold his hand he'd walk into the street. If we didn't get him food he stave to death. My wife and I are getting older and don't have many more good years left. But our time is completely centered on him, for his survival."

So back to Star Station 7. Dawn and you need to build a habitual location, a shelter or a bio-dome. As your trying to to place a foundation Dawn would be walking off to eat a space rock. Maybe get infected with some sort of alien disease, one that this future race has combated before.

(On a side note I was just thinking this. If we went to a alien planet would the virus really be a problem for us? They would have evolved to attack and feed off of any organism that lived on that planet. Maybe they would recognize our blood as a source of food? I was thinking War of the Worlds )

Maybe the better allegory would be if you where on a far off planet and your only companion was stricken with a disability, like brain damage. You know that if you let them survive they will live but they will be completely dependent on you, and in pain. Do you kill them to put him/her out of his/her missory, and to prolong your survival. Or do you hold out hope that you can find salvation in time to correct there problem, but at the same time put your own life on the line. It works better if you take out the tech part.

You know I like this idea. I think if we worked on it we could come up with an amazing short story or something.

*But defiantly see Moon. What about Enemy Mine?

In Enemy Mine for those that haven't seen it. A Human and Alien are stuck on a foreboding planet. They're races have been at constant war with each other. They want to kill each other but in order to survive they must rely on each other.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
16-10-2015, 01:22 PM
(15-10-2015 04:34 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 04:14 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Ok, let me tweek you premiss a little then. Let's say your 3D printer mess up more then just giving the wrong face. Let's say this printer made a being with only 1/3 a brain. Or missed major chunks on the anatomy. A simple dump in the hopper, a little reprogramming and Bam! The being would have a new lease on life. Full brain, full cognitive abilities. It would be immoral not to give that being a second chance.

I do have a 3D printer and sometimes prints do get messed up. I have a print of an invention of mine that messed up. When I get around to it, I'm going to take the print out to my shop, and then cut the messed up portion off with my chop saw. Then I will just re-print the missing section and glue it on. In this case it is easy. The 3D printer printed my invention and it is clearly my invention, just a small section of it messed up....so I can fix it fairly easily.

I haven't thought about fixing a messed up print of a 3D human being so I am not sure how to answer your question. If the 3D print of a human being was indeed a human being I would be morally obligated to fix him or her if I could. For instance suppose I printed a human being but the left foot messed up. If I could simply cut off the bad foot and reprint new one....then I have an obligation to do that.

Suppose I was the occupant of the space station and my printer printed a girl with Down Syndrome. I would be morally obligated to wake that person and care for that person. It would be wrong for me to simply recycle her and try again.

Does she have a soul? If not, then her so called life is no more significant than that of a cockroach. Recycle her, cook her, whatever you want. If so, then you should pray to the 3D printer for guidance. After all, if the 3D printer has the ability to grant it's creation a soul, then it must be (a) god itself.

We make decisions on taking life daily. Would you swat the fly that keeps landing in the potato salad? If so, then you just made the decision that your potato salad is has more value than the life of the fly. Does ALL life have the same value? Which is more valuable, the life of fly or the life of a dog? Old dog or cute puppy? Cute puppy or creepy homeless guy? Random stranger or your child? Are the all the same value or is it relative? Why?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
22-10-2015, 04:27 AM
This scenario fails to mimic pregnancy in any way. Unless the 3D printer is literally using your blood and organs to form the material to print with.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
22-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Wow. Some people just really love their incredibly poorly constructed hypotheticals, don't they?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
22-10-2015, 02:55 PM
(22-10-2015 02:27 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Wow. Some people just really love their incredibly poorly constructed hypotheticals, don't they?

He love to stir shit is all. If poorly constructed hypotheticals is what it takes then...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post