When is it morally okay to kill a human being?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
15-10-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: When is it morally okay to kill a human being?
CricketsSleepyCrickets

I'm bored of this. Impossible moral conundrums are lame.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2015, 03:26 PM
It's a bullshit false scenario. If technology were developed to the point where this were actually possible, "recycling" them would not be allowed.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-10-2015, 03:41 PM
(15-10-2015 03:03 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 02:42 PM)pablo Wrote:  How do you know if the printer made her heterosexual or homosexual?
Maybe she wakes up and wants nothing to do with your ugly ass.

I think that we can all agree that if she is an awake human being she deserves moral protection.

One question here is does an unconscious human being with memories and a personality deserve moral/legal protection?

No, we don't all agree. How is she a human being?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2015, 03:41 PM
(15-10-2015 03:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:04 PM)julep Wrote:  Your revision doesn't have internal logic. Now the culture can send natural-born, fully grown human beings via "space mail," but these mailed people can then freely and legally be recycled into materials to be used in 3D printers which will make new and different people? Does not compute to an answerable question in that form.

If you can make the 3D version, you make that; don't like it, don't activate it, and don't pretend in your scenario that once it's alive, it's being treated as fully human.

If the natural-born human has somehow never been conscious, and if that human's only function is to be the sex slave of the lonely dude, she might be better off recycled than activated.

I suggested the revision as a means to point out that how the human being comes into existence is really immaterial. In both situations you have an undesirable human being and you have the choice to painlessly prevent that human being from being a part of your life.

Your criticisms are nit picky.

No, your scenario is poorly constructed.

However, if you are attempting to ask whether an adult human with consciousness should have identical rights to other adult humans with consciousness, my answer is yes. (In your scenario, you are actually asking if it's ethical to kill a slave. I also don't think humans should be able to own other humans, just in case you were wondering.)

If you are asking whether a potential human, without consciousness and without the fully developed ability to survive independently, residing inside another human's body, should have rights that are identical to the host's, my answer is no. The host's rights are more important until the other human is born. Then, I believe, their rights should be identical.
15-10-2015, 03:57 PM
I know your just setting up for some sort of ethical gotcha question. But with that aside I think that would be a really interesting sci-fi movie. Have you seen Moon? If you haven't seen it a must see. I don't want to ruin anything. But the premise is very close.

[Image: moon.jpg?1b285a]

So I would have to answer this question as if I was in this sci-fi future reality.

Not only that we have gotten to the point where we could send human life to a habitable planet within a single life time. That alone would be astounding. Tech has gotten to the point where life can be created at a whim. A question would remain however; Why would send a single person at all, when all that would have to do is program the printer to create a life once it arrived at the destination. Or at in the very least enough materials to create more then one. Procreation takes 9 months for a baby to be born and even longer to raise a(human?) child that would result from such a copulation. Survival alone could be a challenge enough let alone with a child. You can't populate a planet with only two people. (What a silly idea) So why would we not have enough materials to make multiple versions?

But I digress.

So we have a carbon copy of a human being. You would know that this "being" was nothing more than a man made creation. The same as a home computer. Whatever memories it was given. You know aren't real.

Also what is defined as beauty in the future world? Idea body types and standards change very rapidly.

But let's say they stay he had a thing for Kate Upton. He put in for Kate Upton and got Shirley Phelps. Ok. This tech has gotten to the point however. That it can impute memories into this living being. If you threw this concuss being into the hopper, to reuse the part's. Technically it would be the same person. Same memories, same components for these body parts. The created being would never know any difference, and would still have the inputted memories as it would have before.

This could lead to the bigger question of what defines a individual? A clone of a person would have all the same trates of the person it was copied from but once it would be created it would start experience life in a different way. Those life event's could redefine who that person is.

If I was living in this Sci-fi Fantasy world I would probable wouldn't have a problem restarting the project over. Life would be so accessible that it's value could be redefined. Possible devalued.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
15-10-2015, 03:57 PM
(15-10-2015 03:09 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:04 PM)julep Wrote:  Your revision doesn't have internal logic. Now the culture can send natural-born, fully grown human beings via "space mail," but these mailed people can then freely and legally be recycled into materials to be used in 3D printers which will make new and different people? Does not compute to an answerable question in that form.

If you can make the 3D version, you make that; don't like it, don't activate it, and don't pretend in your scenario that once it's alive, it's being treated as fully human.

If the natural-born human has somehow never been conscious, and if that human's only function is to be the sex slave of the lonely dude, she might be better off recycled than activated.

I suggested the revision as a means to point out that how the human being comes into existence is really immaterial. In both situations you have an undesirable human being and you have the choice to painlessly prevent that human being from being a part of your life.

Your criticisms are nit picky.

Fucking called it.

Why do you people give this ass clown the time of day?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
15-10-2015, 04:02 PM
(15-10-2015 03:18 PM)mediocrates Wrote:  CricketsSleepyCrickets

I'm bored of this. Impossible moral conundrums are lame.

It is only impossible if the axioms by which you base your morality are not consistent with each other. To me the question is easy. The 3D printed human is a human being and all human beings require moral protection whether they are a person or a potential person. The choice to recycle the human being is immoral.

I put this thread in politics because it is about abortion. The station is under the complete control of the lone occupant. It is his choice to allow another human being of his choosing to occupy it...that is true. But him killing another human being to exercise his choice is immoral as far as I am concerned.
15-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Ok, let me tweek you premiss a little then. Let's say your 3D printer mess up more then just giving the wrong face. Let's say this printer made a being with only 1/3 a brain. Or missed major chunks on the anatomy. A simple dump in the hopper, a little reprogramming and Bam! The being would have a new lease on life. Full brain, full cognitive abilities. It would be immoral not to give that being a second chance.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
15-10-2015, 04:18 PM
(15-10-2015 03:57 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I know your just setting up for some sort of ethical gotcha question. But with that aside I think that would be a really interesting sci-fi movie. Have you seen Moon? If you haven't seen it a must see. I don't want to ruin anything. But the premise is very close.

I don't watch many movies, but I will make it a point to watch Moon if the opportunity arises. I have been thinking about writing a short story around the idea of 3D printed humans beings, physical objects being an extension or part of a person, etc.

I'm not a story writer so I'm sure the story would suck. But if I had fun and learned something from the project it would be worth it.
15-10-2015, 04:22 PM
(15-10-2015 04:18 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(15-10-2015 03:57 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  I know your just setting up for some sort of ethical gotcha question. But with that aside I think that would be a really interesting sci-fi movie. Have you seen Moon? If you haven't seen it a must see. I don't want to ruin anything. But the premise is very close.

I don't watch many movies, but I will make it a point to watch Moon if the opportunity arises. I have been thinking about writing a short story around the idea of 3D printed humans beings, physical objects being an extension or part of a person, etc.

I'm not a story writer so I'm sure the story would suck. But if I had fun and learned something from the project it would be worth it.

Ever thought about pen and paper role playing game? There is quite a few out there that deal with issues of morality and humanity. It's a nice side-step from story telling, is more interactive and doesn't require as much narrative and litterary skills to write the entire story. Just my two cents.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.