When is it okay to kill?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2015, 01:34 PM
RE: When is it okay to kill?
(10-06-2015 09:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 05:15 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  That doesn't mean it is not clear cut, it just means you have chosen to ignore all the issues to justify your viewpoint. Which is fair enough - but a spade is still a spade.

Archi

All the issues? Consider Please enumerate "all the issues".

1. Mistaken threat
2. Mental illness leading to paranoia (shooter)
3. Mental illness leading to schizophrenia (shooter)
4. Illegality of action (in some countries)
5. Threat of Death is no more a deterrent than life imprisonment (http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/studen...ment1b.htm)
6. You become a target yourself
7. Holding and storing of lethal weapons near family members or unstable others
8. Gun could be used against you
9. The giving of weapons to Beta males unable to make Alpha decisions

I will need to come back and add some more but that can get us started.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2015, 01:51 PM
(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 09:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  All the issues? Consider Please enumerate "all the issues".

1. Mistaken threat
2. Mental illness leading to paranoia (shooter)
3. Mental illness leading to schizophrenia (shooter)
4. Illegality of action (in some countries)
5. Threat of Death is no more a deterrent than life imprisonment (http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/studen...ment1b.htm)
6. You become a target yourself
7. Holding and storing of lethal weapons near family members or unstable others
8. Gun could be used against you
9. The giving of weapons to Beta males unable to make Alpha decisions

I will need to come back and add some more but that can get us started.

Archi

Pooping in the pool doesn't clear things up.

Hobbitgirl Wrote:
Someone trying to harm my family. I'd kill someone trying to do that.

Do I want to kill anyone? No, but I'm going to do what I have to do to protect them.

You wrote:

What if you only think they are trying to harm your family but you don't find out until after you mistakenly kill them that they're not?

It's just not that clear cut.

What exactly IS your point? I see a lot of rhetoric -- all pointing to "Gun - bad" ---- other than that, I don't see much...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-06-2015, 02:54 PM
If someone breaks into my house at night and my dog doesn't deactivate him properly, I am going to shoot him first and ask questions later.

I don't care if voices told him to kill me or if he came up with it himself - he won't be able to do it.

When it looks like it's him or me, it's gonna be me.

Luckily I have a dog who knows what to do and how to restrain a person, and the criminal will live to see the 4 walls of jail.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
12-06-2015, 07:11 AM
(11-06-2015 01:51 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Pooping in the pool doesn't clear things up.

And ignoring it won't make it go away.

Archi

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

12-06-2015, 07:17 AM
(11-06-2015 01:51 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Pooping in the pool doesn't clear things up.

My point is not rhetorical, I was very explicit about what I was saying, although I can see you are partial to more than enough trope.

Archi

12-06-2015, 06:30 PM
(12-06-2015 07:17 AM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  

My point is not rhetorical, I was very explicit about what I was saying, although I can see you are partial to more than enough trope.

Archi

You aren't actually addressing the question. You are outlining when it may not be ok to kill.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2015, 12:19 PM
It's perfectly okay to kill if you kill a lot of foreigners in a short space of time to the sound of drum and fife. Then you're a hero apparently!

"A witty quote means nothing"
15-06-2015, 12:30 PM
(09-06-2015 03:47 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 12:50 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Someone trying to harm my family. I'd kill someone trying to do that.

Do I want to kill anyone? No, but I'm going to do what I have to do to protect them.

What if you only think they are trying to harm your family but you don't find out until after you mistakenly kill them that they're not?

It's just not that clear cut.

Archi

They should probably leave my family the fuck alone, then. If you pull a gun on my son, I'm going to assume you intend to use it and act accordingly. If you attack me, I will act to neutralize your threat with the necessary amount of force. If that amount of force happens to be fatal, then perhaps you should have given up and looked for an easier target.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2015, 12:40 PM
(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  1. Mistaken threat

I don't think anyone here is advocating shooting before issuing a stop-command. The perceived threat would have the opportunity to stop acting in a threatening manner and explain his or her behavior.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  2. Mental illness leading to paranoia (shooter)

Mentally-ill people are, generally speaking, barred from owning guns.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  3. Mental illness leading to schizophrenia (shooter)

See above.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  4. Illegality of action (in some countries)

Self-defense is legal where I live. If it is illegal where you live, I'd suggest moving.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  5. Threat of Death is no more a deterrent than life imprisonment (http://deathpenaltycurriculum.org/studen...ment1b.htm)

I'm against the death penalty.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  6. You become a target yourself

When killing in self-defense, as Hobbitgirl was talking about, one has already become the target.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  7. Holding and storing of lethal weapons near family members or unstable others

There are safe ways to do this. And guns aren't the only weapons useful in self-defense.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  8. Gun could be used against you

... or the criminal might decide to drive through the wall and run you over with his SUV.

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  9. The giving of weapons to Beta males unable to make Alpha decisions

"Beta males"? Who are you to decide?

(11-06-2015 01:34 PM)ArchibaldFunkdust Wrote:  I will need to come back and add some more but that can get us started.

Archi

Let us hope that your further contributions are an improvement over this post. As matters stand, your arguments are unconvincing, probably because of the fact that they aren't addressing the topic, but rather, pushing your agenda.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
20-06-2015, 02:11 PM
The whole idea is purely subjective. It's like asking "when is it ok to eat black licorice?" I might not like black licorice but the guy down the road can't get enough. I might not like 3rd trimester abortions, but the guy down the road might be fine with it.

Some food for thought for the morally convicted.

Is it okay to kill animals for food? How about more intelligent animals like dolphins and chimps? Is it okay to kill animals for pleasure as in the case of hunting? If it's ok to kill cows because of their perceived lower intelligence/consciousness, would it be okay to kill, or perform medical testing on, severely mentally retarded people?
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post