When is it okay to kill?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2015, 01:10 AM
RE: When is it okay to kill?
(20-06-2015 02:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Is it okay to kill animals for pleasure as in the case of hunting?

Most hunting in America is done to acquire food.

I personally think that hunting solely for sport, or trophies, is silly and marks the hunter as an asshole. Hunting for food, or to protects one's livestock, seems to me to be honest.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-06-2015, 01:44 AM
Killing is only an option when Q shows up at your door.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-06-2015, 02:08 AM
Is he good huntin'?
21-06-2015, 02:10 AM
Yeah, but not good eatin'. Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
21-06-2015, 02:32 AM
(21-06-2015 02:10 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah, but not good eatin'. Wink

Well, that's why we've got dogs.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
21-06-2015, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2015 06:05 AM by Matt Finney.)
(21-06-2015 01:10 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-06-2015 02:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Is it okay to kill animals for pleasure as in the case of hunting?

Most hunting in America is done to acquire food.

I personally think that hunting solely for sport, or trophies, is silly and marks the hunter as an asshole. Hunting for food, or to protects one's livestock, seems to me to be honest.

I have to disagree. I believe that most hunters hunt for sport and/or trophies, and the meat is simply a bonus. Many deer hunters give all of their meat to friends or charities, because they prefer the taste of beef more than gamier venison. I can also tell you that wild turkey has nothing on butterball. And if you look at the amount of time, energy, and money that most hunters spend, it clearly isn't about food. It would be much more efficient to just go the grocery for meat. As a lifelong hunter and fishermen of north America, I feel very confident in my assessment that people hunt and fish primarily for recreation/pleasure, and attaining food is only of secondary concern.

Here's an example of my own personal experience.

I used a week of vacation time, drove 1200 miles, spent $500 on hunting license, spent many more hundreds of dollars on hunting and camping gear, hiked in a few miles and up a couple thousand feet to camp on a Colorado mountain for a week, all for a roughly 20% chance at getting some meat. I was lucky and killed an elk, but even then, the amount of time and energy just to get the meat back home was substantial as well. We had to hike back out, drive several miles, rent some horses (more $), and use the horses as slaves to pack the meat off the mountain for us, and then we had to purchase dry ice for the 1200 mile trip back home. We were sore for a week after returning home. We went through all the trouble not to get meat, but to experience hunting elk in the beautiful mountains of Colorado. I would be lying if I told myself that hunting is anything but killing for pleasure.

[Image: DSC00818-2-1-1.jpg]
21-06-2015, 06:09 AM
Around here - trophy hunters are a minority.....

My goal isn't a head to mount on a wall -- it's to fill a freezer....

And to make some jerky.....

mmmmmmmm jerky.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
21-06-2015, 06:13 AM
(21-06-2015 06:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Around here - trophy hunters are a minority.....

mmmmmmmm jerky.....

Forget the word trophy. In modern times, people don't hunt for jerky, they hunt because it's fun. The jerky is just a great bonus.
21-06-2015, 06:33 AM
(21-06-2015 06:13 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(21-06-2015 06:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Around here - trophy hunters are a minority.....

mmmmmmmm jerky.....

Forget the word trophy. In modern times, people don't hunt for jerky, they hunt because it's fun. The jerky is just a great bonus.

Fun?????

What part of it's fun??? Waking up before the sun comes up -- sitting in one spot, without making any noise -- sometimes for DAYS??? Dragging a dead deer through 100 yards of corn, in the mud? Gutting, cleaning, and butchering up to 5 deer????

Let me know when it gets fun.

If I could buy venison cheaply in the grocery store - my hunting days would be over very quickly............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
21-06-2015, 06:41 AM
As a boy in the bush I often hunted. Roos and rabbits mostly. Roos to feed the dogs or keep the massive numbers down. They would destroy all the crops. We also shot foxes whenever we saw them because they are vermin here that wipe out native fauna. Wild cats as well.

I used to fish for fun. But hunting was more of a job. And I never sat in a blind like deer hunters. Life's too short.

Banjo.