When it's your time, that's it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 08:36 PM by Chas.)
RE: When it's your time, that's it
(30-11-2015 07:36 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I recently went to a service for a friend of my family, their daughter...passed away, and she was only in her 20's. For some reason, quite a few people kept saying after the service...''when it is your time, that's it...there's nothing you can do.''

Huh

What do you think this means? Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it? Talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and she said the same thing...I said, what do you mean? She answered...''I believe that everyone's life has a time limit and that's it.''

What do you think?

Predestination? Yeeeeeaah, no. No

Unless, of course, you're an ancient Greek. Then it's fate. Clotho is the Spinner, Lachesis the Measurer, and Atropos the Cutter of life's thread.

[Image: the3fates1.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
30-11-2015, 08:34 PM
skyking nailed it. It's a way of expressing our inability to change things.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
30-11-2015, 08:45 PM
I'll take it!

Much better than "They've gone to a better place" or "They're with god now".

Yes

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
30-11-2015, 08:46 PM
(30-11-2015 08:14 PM)skyking Wrote:  It's another way of looking at the finality and our inability to change things with regards to the person who has died. Rather than rail on about how unfair he/she died so young, they just cut off all that nonsense.

You. Might be a wizard. This is quite brilliant. Thank you. And now, it won't seem so silly if I hear it again. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
30-11-2015, 08:47 PM
(30-11-2015 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 07:36 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I recently went to a service for a friend of my family, their daughter...passed away, and she was only in her 20's. For some reason, quite a few people kept saying after the service...''when it is your time, that's it...there's nothing you can do.''

Huh

What do you think this means? Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it? Talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and she said the same thing...I said, what do you mean? She answered...''I believe that everyone's life has a time limit and that's it.''

What do you think?

Predestination? Yeeeeeaah, no. No

Unless, of course, you're an ancient Greek. Then it's fate. Clotho is the Spinner, Lachesis the Measurer, and Atropos the Cutter of life's thread.

[Image: the3fates1.jpg]
lol Big Grin
maybe I am an ancient Greek. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
30-11-2015, 08:49 PM

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-11-2015, 08:50 PM
When I was a Christian, I would have said that God is in control of when, how, and why things happen. We may not understand why things happen the way they do, but it is God's plan. I would have said the important thing is your friend is in heaven with God and she is with her family and friends who have passed on.

As an atheist, I don't believe in when it's your time, it's your time. I believe there is no reason why anything happens. It just does.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Hug
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
30-11-2015, 09:01 PM
(30-11-2015 08:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I wanna play this, but I'm skeered. Unsure

30-11-2015, 09:06 PM
(30-11-2015 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was a Christian, I would have said that God is in control of when, how, and why things happen. We may not understand why things happen the way they do, but it is God's plan. I would have said the important thing is your friend is in heaven with God and she is with her family and friends who have passed on.

As an atheist, I don't believe in when it's your time, it's your time. I believe there is no reason why anything happens. It just does.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Hug

We can swap stories...as an atheist, I said that nothing had a reason, and now, coming back to faith, I believe there is an after life. But, what happens...hard to say. Even an atheist friend of mine offline said...'when it's your time, it's your time.'

I'm thinking is there some cosmic book everyone is reading from that states this? Rolleyes

not comic book. COSmic book. Laugh out load

30-11-2015, 09:13 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post