When it's your time, that's it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: When it's your time, that's it
(30-11-2015 09:06 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was a Christian, I would have said that God is in control of when, how, and why things happen. We may not understand why things happen the way they do, but it is God's plan. I would have said the important thing is your friend is in heaven with God and she is with her family and friends who have passed on.

As an atheist, I don't believe in when it's your time, it's your time. I believe there is no reason why anything happens. It just does.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Hug

We can swap stories...as an atheist, I said that nothing had a reason, and now, coming back to faith, I believe there is an after life. But, what happens...hard to say. Even an atheist friend of mine offline said...'when it's your time, it's your time.'

I'm thinking is there some cosmic book everyone is reading from that states this? Rolleyes

not comic book. COSmic book. Laugh out load

I think it's a cultural thing. It's kind of one of those sayings that gets mixed into language and everyone sort of picks up on it without even realizing what it means. Kind of like knocking on wood. I know Christians and atheists who do that. But that is from a pagan myth. The pagans believed tree spirits lived in the trees and would "knock on wood" for a blessing. Btw, not every culture/society believes when it's your time, it's your time. Wording, language, culture, laws, beliefs are all made up by society and depending what society you live in, all of those things can work their way into your belief system without your even realizing it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
30-11-2015, 09:19 PM
(30-11-2015 09:13 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 09:06 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  We can swap stories...as an atheist, I said that nothing had a reason, and now, coming back to faith, I believe there is an after life. But, what happens...hard to say. Even an atheist friend of mine offline said...'when it's your time, it's your time.'

I'm thinking is there some cosmic book everyone is reading from that states this? Rolleyes

I think it's a cultural thing. It's kind of one of those sayings that gets mixed into language and everyone sort of picks up on it without even realizing what it means. Kind of like knocking on wood. I know Christians and atheists who do that. But that is from a pagan myth. The pagans believed tree spirits lived in the trees and would "knock on wood" for a blessing. Btw, not every culture/society believes when it's your time, it's your time. Wording, language, culture, laws, beliefs are all made up by society and depending what society you live in, all of those things can work their way into your belief system without your even realizing it.

Thank you for this, very insightful. You know, people will ask me sometimes...when will you be arriving? Like pestering me trying to rush me...I have been known to say ''I'll be there, when I get there.'' Laugh out load It is almost as silly as the thread title. Big Grin

Thank you jennybee Hug

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
30-11-2015, 09:31 PM
(30-11-2015 09:06 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 08:50 PM)jennybee Wrote:  When I was a Christian, I would have said that God is in control of when, how, and why things happen. We may not understand why things happen the way they do, but it is God's plan. I would have said the important thing is your friend is in heaven with God and she is with her family and friends who have passed on.

As an atheist, I don't believe in when it's your time, it's your time. I believe there is no reason why anything happens. It just does.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Hug

We can swap stories...as an atheist, I said that nothing had a reason, and now, coming back to faith, I believe there is an after life. But, what happens...hard to say. Even an atheist friend of mine offline said...'when it's your time, it's your time.'

No, no, comic book is correct.

Believing without evidence is unbecoming to you. Come back to reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2015, 09:38 PM
(30-11-2015 08:45 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll take it!

Much better than "They've gone to a better place" or "They're with god now".

Yes
Yea those are fighting words to me and my family. We can put up with only so much woo but when they trundle out that old wheelbarrow load of crap I have a hard time keeping my cool.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Most people have trouble accepting that life isn't fair. They just can't bring themselves to believe that sometimes bad things can happen to people who didn't necessarily make a mistake. That the concept of karma is just a bunch of bullshit. It's easier to incorporate fate into seemingly random situations, especially if you believe in a higher power and that there is a purpose to what happened, such as God needed her for some very important task so he called her back (the clouds needed mowing).

It's just another psychological survival mechanism. People will believe what they have to in order to keep from losing hope or to rationalize that which doesn't fit into their irrational preconceived beliefs. I don't worry about it too much because I accept that humans are not a rational species (neither is any other living thing, for that matter). Sure, we may use logic from time to time in an effort to solve a specific problem. But we are, for the most part, driven by emotion not rationalism.

I personally find the most ideal place to be in regards to my view on death, as someone who believes in neither fate nor the standard narrative definition of free will, is to view myself as a dead man walking who knows only that it's coming, not how or when. I do not have complete control over it, but there are certainly things I can do which affect probabilities.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
30-11-2015, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 10:28 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Quote:Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it?

The difference is that we have time to do things right now, and we can have the power to assess for ourselves whether our lives are meaningful. It's ultimately dependent upon how much you value your life personally.

[+] 2 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
30-11-2015, 10:37 PM
(30-11-2015 09:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 09:06 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  We can swap stories...as an atheist, I said that nothing had a reason, and now, coming back to faith, I believe there is an after life. But, what happens...hard to say. Even an atheist friend of mine offline said...'when it's your time, it's your time.'

No, no, comic book is correct.

Believing without evidence is unbecoming to you. Come back to reality.

Laugh out load Heart

30-11-2015, 10:39 PM
(30-11-2015 10:00 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Most people have trouble accepting that life isn't fair. They just can't bring themselves to believe that sometimes bad things can happen to people who didn't necessarily make a mistake. That the concept of karma is just a bunch of bullshit. It's easier to incorporate fate into seemingly random situations, especially if you believe in a higher power and that there is a purpose to what happened, such as God needed her for some very important task so he called her back (the clouds needed mowing).

It's just another psychological survival mechanism. People will believe what they have to in order to keep from losing hope or to rationalize that which doesn't fit into their irrational preconceived beliefs. I don't worry about it too much because I accept that humans are not a rational species (neither is any other living thing, for that matter). Sure, we may use logic from time to time in an effort to solve a specific problem. But we are, for the most part, driven by emotion not rationalism.

I personally find the most ideal place to be in regards to my view on death, as someone who believes in neither fate nor the standard narrative definition of free will, is to view myself as a dead man walking who knows only that it's coming, not how or when. I do not have complete control over it, but there are certainly things I can do which affect probabilities.

Losing people 'out of order' like parents shouldn't bury their children, etc etc...definitely creates a different kind of void, than say when I lost my grandmother, earlier this year, even though it hurt very much, and we are never 'ready' to say goodbye, but...it seemed more logical than this recent death. Perhaps, it is in those painful moments when everyone is at a loss, that as you say here, people are looking for something to say. Thank you for this. I like what you had to say here.

30-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Not to derail this thread too much, but what has made you go back to a religion? I read your other thread about doubting your unbelief and now I'm curious....

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
01-12-2015, 12:15 AM
(30-11-2015 10:18 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It's ultimately dependent upon how much you value your life personally.

Agreed.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.