When it's your time, that's it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 12:18 AM
RE: When it's your time, that's it
(30-11-2015 10:37 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 09:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  No, no, comic book is correct.

Believing without evidence is unbecoming to you. Come back to reality.

Laugh out load Heart

You're going back to religion? Which god do you plan to follow?

And why waste your time?

Death is the end. Take my word for it. I died once. I remember zero of it. No sparkling pools of light or guiding hand. Nothing!

So make the most of your life and to hell with death! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Skyking nailed it. Funerals are for the living. Its a way of saying goodbye, a process. The things that are said there, are all for the purpose of those attending.

Not that I am in any great rush to get there but I look forward to dying and the nothingness it brings. I won't care what people say about me, if I am buried or cremated or left rotting somewhere in a ditch.

"I" wont be there anymore......

Seeing as you have posted this in the philosophy section I am a Nihilist. Some people think that this void, or nothingness can be quite scary. I find it quite exhilarating and liberating. I don't need an epilogue.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
01-12-2015, 06:24 AM
It's a nonsense lie, a magical thinking phrase meant to comfort. Absolves the people who would otherwise feel a sense of blame or responsibility, or who worry about the same thing (whatever it was) happening to them. Similar to "everything happens for a reason."

The true translation (IMO) is: "even a malignant Observer who's going to set things up to kill me is better than no Observer at all, so I'm going to attribute what happens to that. And because this Observer is someone I don't want to anger, I'm going to say that the death of my friend was something that passes understanding, rather than something unfair and horrible and random."
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
(01-12-2015 02:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  Skyking nailed it. Funerals are for the living. Its a way of saying goodbye, a process. The things that are said there, are all for the purpose of those attending.

Not that I am in any great rush to get there but I look forward to dying and the nothingness it brings. I won't care what people say about me, if I am buried or cremated or left rotting somewhere in a ditch.

"I" wont be there anymore......

Seeing as you have posted this in the philosophy section I am a Nihilist. Some people think that this void, or nothingness can be quite scary. I find it quite exhilarating and liberating. I don't need an epilogue.
Can we at least use your passing as a good excuse for a party?
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
01-12-2015, 07:08 AM
(01-12-2015 06:41 AM)skyking Wrote:  Can we at least use your passing as a good excuse for a party?

Only if you piñata my corpse Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
01-12-2015, 07:27 AM
(30-11-2015 07:36 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I recently went to a service for a friend of my family, their daughter...passed away, and she was only in her 20's. For some reason, quite a few people kept saying after the service...''when it is your time, that's it...there's nothing you can do.''

Huh

What do you think this means? Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it? Talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and she said the same thing...I said, what do you mean? She answered...''I believe that everyone's life has a time limit and that's it.''

What do you think?

Just my two cents. Those types of comments imply fate. Fate implies pre-destiny, which implies a planner...planner implies a purpose...purpose suggests a plan, which of course suggests a planner, which points to an intelligent designer. I don't buy into that philosophical view because I don't believe in magic. For me, when people say that, I view it as they either believe that, or they are just trying to find something appropriate to say....what does one say in that situation..."well she had a good life"......""she is in a better place now" Rolleyes Nothing comes out right because none of it is....okay now I am just rambling..sorry, I have duty today, and had like an hour of sleep last night...win.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-12-2015, 07:30 AM
(01-12-2015 07:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 06:41 AM)skyking Wrote:  Can we at least use your passing as a good excuse for a party?

Only if you piñata my corpse Drinking Beverage

Too much work. how about throw a tablecloth over it and serve the food off it?
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
(30-11-2015 07:36 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I recently went to a service for a friend of my family, their daughter...passed away, and she was only in her 20's. For some reason, quite a few people kept saying after the service...''when it is your time, that's it...there's nothing you can do.''

Huh

What do you think this means? Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it? Talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and she said the same thing...I said, what do you mean? She answered...''I believe that everyone's life has a time limit and that's it.''

What do you think?

Honestly - I doubt most people really believe such nonsense ----- I think it's more likely just a kneejerk reaction.... It's more likely just people spouting platitudes - when placed in an uncomfortable situation that they're not equipped to deal with.

It doesn't make them dishonest saying such things. They just feel compelled to say SOMETHING -- and they heard someone else say the same thing, in a similar situation........

My reaction to such people, I think to myself -- "Yeah - the clueless schmuck means well.... let it go........."

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
(01-12-2015 07:30 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 07:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  Only if you piñata my corpse Drinking Beverage

Sure. If it rains just stick a parasol in my arse.

01-12-2015, 09:20 AM
(01-12-2015 07:30 AM)skyking Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 07:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  Only if you piñata my corpse Drinking Beverage

Or just make food of it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post