When it's your time, that's it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2015, 02:57 PM
RE: When it's your time, that's it
(01-12-2015 02:09 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I guess I'd like it, too, but I hear it almost every day.

Hey, it is what it is.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
01-12-2015, 03:00 PM
(01-12-2015 02:54 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 02:09 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I guess I'd like it, too, but I hear it almost every day.

haha really? what are those who are saying it to or around you referring to? Tongue
Any random conversation,really. They'll be talking about literally anything then throw it in.

Bubba: Caint believe Merle done whooped his kid again.
Jimmy Joe: I know, rat? It is what it is.

Edna: I gotta go go to the ATM machine later.
Ellie: It is what it is.

Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-12-2015, 03:01 PM
(01-12-2015 02:57 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Hey, it is what it is.
At the end of the day, it is what it is!
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
01-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Except in cases of time travel, then "it is what is is" might become "it was what it should have been, but wasn't"....

It gets confusing -- that's why you should write your Congressman and demand that time travel be made illegal.

Or not.... You probably already did it last week after reading this today.

See???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-12-2015, 04:06 PM
(01-12-2015 03:40 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Except in cases of time travel, then "it is what is is" might become "it was what it should have been, but wasn't"....

It gets confusing -- that's why you should write your Congressman and demand that time travel be made illegal.

Or not.... You probably already did it last week after reading this today.

See???

Laugh out load that's funny

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
01-12-2015, 07:59 PM
I think it's a way to view death as something natural rather than something mysterious to live in fear of your whole life.

I think you can live life not obsessing over death and at the same time be practical about it, and make sure to wear sunscreen.

As for its use in this situation, the funeral of a 22yo will make people in attendance come to grips with their mortality. So people trying to wrap their heads around it makes sense, and I think that sentiment of "when it's your time..." is a pretty reasonable one.

Blog: http://141min.tumblr.com/
[+] 2 users Like wallym's post
02-12-2015, 01:09 AM
(30-11-2015 07:36 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I recently went to a service for a friend of my family, their daughter...passed away, and she was only in her 20's. For some reason, quite a few people kept saying after the service...''when it is your time, that's it...there's nothing you can do.''

Huh

What do you think this means? Does it mean we should all just throw caution to the wind, not take care of ourselves, because what's the difference...when our time is up, that's it? Talking to a friend of mine over the weekend and she said the same thing...I said, what do you mean? She answered...''I believe that everyone's life has a time limit and that's it.''

What do you think?

This is sort of like a deepity. I think it is just something that people hear and repeat because they think it sounds deep. If you ask them what it means I doubt most would have a cogent answer. Another one that you hear is "it happened for a reason, even if we are not able to understand" "or God called him home". This one is especially ridiculous if the person died a tragic death. Couldn't God call someone home without having them decapitated or drowned or burned?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
02-12-2015, 01:45 AM
(01-12-2015 02:09 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(01-12-2015 01:41 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Yea, I like ''it is what it is.''
I guess I'd like it, too, but I hear it almost every day.

Yeah, well, it is what it is. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-12-2015, 06:34 AM
(02-12-2015 01:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Yeah, well, it is what it is. Big Grin

I think I've heard that...
Consider

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
09-12-2015, 01:23 PM
A silly concept, done to try and make sense of a random universe. As silly as a sky-daddy.

"It's turtles all the way down!"

Larry

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
[+] 1 user Likes larry-new's post