When people Sneeze and other conundrums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
When people Sneeze and other conundrums
Two questions. As non believers, what do you do when

1. People sneeze. Do you say "bless you", Gesundheit, or what. Or do you ignore it entirely.

2. At a public dinner where there is an invocation. Do you sit silently not praying, bow your head, or start eating while everyone is not looking.

Just wondering.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 09:34 AM
RE: When people Sneeze and other conundrums
1) I try not to get too hung up on phrases, so I usually say whatever comes to mind.

2) As long as it isn't my apartment, or an event that I organized, I usually just bow my head and take a nap (Some of those invocations can be long). Same thing when I go home for breaks in college, I just be polite and go with the flow. But if people come to my home and offer to pray before a meal, I usually don't join them. I'll wait to start eating, but that's more of a courtesy to the guests in my house than waiting for them to finish their prayer.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
1) I say, "you're so good looking" or some other compliment a la Seinfeld. Or, depending on the company, I'll ask either, "get any on ya?" or, "any brains?" if they look at their hands.

2) I usually look at the other people. It's fun to see the looks of concentration on peoples faces when they are talking to their imaginary friends. If I am having a meal at my home, and I know some of my guests say grace, I just ask that everyone wait for a moment while those that wish to say grace have the chance to say a silent prayer. I always emphasize the word "silent".

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Normally say "bless you" out of habit.

I like people watching too Tongue

Here's one for you - on the issue of fetal stem cell research, if a blastocyst is conceived from the sperm and egg of atheists, shouldn't it be fair game for SCR?

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't usually say anything, I just make sure none of it got on me...

I've only been through a couple of prayers with a bunch of christians, I've both pretended to pray and looked around smirking and I find the latter more amusing =P

Also, good question seasbury. I'd say yes, but then, I don't think souls exist...

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
My mother is heavily Mormon, but even she doesn't bless the food in a public place. I've also never seen anyone else bless food in public, except for the guy who stands at the corner and shouts at people while holding the bible... I suppose British culture overrides it for normal people.

I've also never heard anyone in Britain say "God bless you" or "Gesundheit", generally either it's "Bless you" or "haha don't kill yourself with that" (that last one might just be by friends though xD)

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-03-2011, 01:46 PM

1. I usually say "bless you" unless they sneeze in my face, then they're on their own Tongue

2. I never pray when others are at public dinners, I just sit there and wait until they're done then attack my food like a rabid bear
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2011, 06:10 PM

1) I say bless you.

2) I bow my head and close my eyes.

Both out of respect. No point in pissing everyone off needlessly, and it certainly won't make me or my ideals look better if I'm a jackass regarding their beliefs, it'll just open up the floodgates for them to pester me about my lack of beliefs.

(02-03-2011 12:50 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Normally say "bless you" out of habit.

I like people watching too Tongue

Here's one for you - on the issue of fetal stem cell research, if a blastocyst is conceived from the sperm and egg of atheists, shouldn't it be fair game for SCR?

Oh, that's an interesting thought, haha. But if religion is the reason it's not allowed, then even if it's atheist sperm/egg, it wouldn't be allowed. The basis is that it's taking a life, so it'd be the same to them as saying an atheist should be allowed to murder another atheist.

Although you never know, that might make some christians happy.
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM

1. If someone coughs do you say anything? I see sneezes as no different. If it's a real explosion of a sneeze i might say "whoa!" or something but a regular one who cares...

2. At the very least I am quiet and wait to eat, sometimes I'll look at people it's fun Smile. If I'm around religious family I might close my eyes to pretend to look like part of the club.
[+] 1 user Likes Free_Thinker's post
02-03-2011, 09:40 PM
1. I say "I bless you" and if they say bless you to me I say
"I already did"

2. I respect them.