When people Sneeze and other conundrums

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 04:54 AM
RE: When people Sneeze and other conundrums
1. Even as a little tot before I understood I didn't believe in a God I liked saying Gesundheit. I often go with that or Salue/Salud ala the Italian/Spanish tradition of in good health... also it goes well for when you toast. They mean, "To good health" I'm told so it works for me.

Among this topic, I don't like when people say thank you back. I appreciate grunts as applicable responses.

2. I will usually bow my head and be thinking about how odd the prayers being said may become... I also have the staring around at the group habit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 05:43 AM
I say Gesundheit as I am German.

But in whatever situations one may use a theist expression (OMG, thank god this or that didn't happen, and so on) I could care less one way or another.

Actually, at the catholic convent where I went to school, we were taught that these expressions were "speaking god's name in vain". It's blasphemy to strict catholics. You are supposed be thinking of god when you use his name, not about about the common cold, lol.

So if I use these expressions I am just being a sinner.

I also just look at it as being their particular language, just as if they spoke any foreign language. If communication is the object, I see nothing wrong with speaking a foreign language.

So far I haven't had to share food with any groups of people who pray over it. With any luck it will stay that way.

So, basically I could care less, these are just words like any other, although I have stopped and thought to myself: "did I really just say that?"

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-02-2012, 07:09 AM
#1- I don't say anything after someone sneezes. it is just silly superstition surrounding the belief that a demon can get you at your moment of vulnerability after a sneeze. I don't even think the most fundie of believers really thinks this is necessary. It is more of a scoial convention that I choose not to participate in.

#2- I will bow my head and close my eyes. I will however think about what I am thankful for. Even atheists can be thankful prior to sitting down to a good meal of puppy hearts and baby brains. My silent thoughts at that time are simply appreciation for what I do have but I don't think any IPU or the like gave it to me.
22-02-2012, 08:33 AM
(22-02-2012 05:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  But in whatever situations one may use a theist expression (OMG, thank god this or that didn't happen, and so on) I could care less one way or another.

Exactly. If someone says "OMG, thank god, etc" it doesn't phase me. Now, if they say something like "truly blessed by God" or "Thank you Lord for this or that"...then I subtly roll my eyes. Rolleyes

I myself will sometimes say "Well Thank God!" or "God forbid!" in a sarcastic manner. I also will use the phrases "Oh my God!" usually when I'm dumbfounded or "Good Lord!" as a sign of exasperation...or "Jesus Christ!" or "Jesus, Mary and Joseph!". The latter two I started using to poke fun of my mother, who at one time was very religious, as we got older she became more spiritual (rather than religious) and no longer flipped her lid if we used those phrases. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like jinun's post
25-02-2012, 05:42 AM
To my brother (the only other atheist in the family that I know of.. uh, except not open about it) and me, "bless you" is a kind of "fuck you" to each other. With that knowledge, I only say it when I don't like the person or when I'm joking around. I've always wanted to overemphasize the drama of a sneeze since some people have said how rude it is to say nothing. "Oh, my lord! Get this woman/man to a hospital... Someone call 911, they sneezed and may not make it! Wake up *smack in the face* can you hear me? Blink once if you can hear me (ignoring anything they say back to me of course)." I haven't had the chance to do so though.

Blessings at lunch.. I usually just stay silent, but make sure people know I'm not participating (well, now that I don't care as much if people think I'm an atheist). If they hold hands, I will get out of the way and let them or they might have to just hold their hand in the air like they do (like I'm supposed to grab it) until they are done with the prayer. Granted, if it's my grandmother, I hold hands. She's old (almost 100).

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
25-02-2012, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 06:03 AM by Vlad.)
Well, the Hebrew equivalent of "bless you" is "to your health". Not so much of a religious phrase, methink.

Last Saturday I was attending the welcoming of Sabbath (I was staying two weeks at the base) for the first time since... probably kindergarten. While most of them were saying whatever they need to say, I just sat there and waited for the ritual to end so I can eat.