When religion puts you into a plastic bubble—LITERALLY!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 05:30 AM
RE: When religion puts you into a plastic bubble—LITERALLY!
(13-04-2013 05:16 AM)Vlad Wrote:  He's a Cohen. They're not allowed to enter graveyards. He was informed that the flight he took back to Israel will pass above a graveyard, so after consulting with his Rabbi it was decided that he should put himself in a plastic bag.

How do you know he is a Cohen and did this after consulting his Rabbi?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 05:35 AM
(13-04-2013 05:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 05:16 AM)Vlad Wrote:  He's a Cohen. They're not allowed to enter graveyards. He was informed that the flight he took back to Israel will pass above a graveyard, so after consulting with his Rabbi it was decided that he should put himself in a plastic bag.

How do you know he is a Cohen and did this after consulting his Rabbi?
Because it was revealed by our own (Israeli) media, and the Haredi's sites ("kikarhashabat").

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4367438,00.html

Translate it using Google Translate if you want to read it in English.
[+] 3 users Like Vlad's post
13-04-2013, 07:59 AM
(13-04-2013 05:35 AM)Vlad Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 05:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  How do you know he is a Cohen and did this after consulting his Rabbi?
Because it was revealed by our own (Israeli) media, and the Haredi's sites ("kikarhashabat").

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-4367438,00.html

Translate it using Google Translate if you want to read it in English.

Dear HJ, I am delighted to inform you that we now have a known instance of a kooky weirdo wearing a plastic bag in a plane for religious reasons. I hope this will inform your future probability estimates Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
14-04-2013, 05:25 AM
This:
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/life/Sex...giah.shtml

sample:
Quote:Two contemporary issues concerning shomer negiah are shaking hands and sitting next to a member of the opposite sex when traveling on a bus or subway.

And then there's this:
http://crazyjewishconvert.blogspot.com/2...amily.html

Then you will understand Rolleyes

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 07:28 PM
(13-04-2013 05:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-04-2013 05:16 AM)Vlad Wrote:  He's a Cohen. They're not allowed to enter graveyards. He was informed that the flight he took back to Israel was passing above a graveyard, so after consulting with his Rabbi it was decided that he should put himself in a plastic bag.

Ok, so maybe I'm just being dumb here but why does a plastic bag offer more spiritual protection that the big, fuck-off metal tube that he's sitting in?

Also, out of curiosity, how far above the planet would be considered outside the graveyard's jurisdiction?

I don't think the rabbi thought this through.

Rolleyes

I have no idea why but I rofl'ed so hard at this.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Here's some further update. In the end, nothing is explained why the plane can't protect him from impurity while a plastic bag can. Everything he said can be summed to "Because!"

The said person explained his irrelevant background, telling the news how he's a lieutenant colonel in the IDF (as if it matters, since it only means that he's good at following orders), that he was sent to the Yeshiva for two years on the expense of the IAF (The military actually paid him to study in the Yeshiva...)

Some Rabbi criticized the public's reaction and said that he's convinced that none of us is anywhere near that person's intellectual and personal level or whatever.

He suggests people to think of a situation in which people make fun of their values.

"Anything related to the Halacha is made to slander. Anything related to our traditions which is incomprehensible gets ridiculed. The rule says that the less you know, the more you scream, which is true of this case as well."

Then the Rabbi tries to use science. "If some Zulu man had seen me using a cellphone, he would've thought I've had gone crazy! He wouldn't understand how sound waves travel hundreds of kilometers. He doesn't understand what electromagnetic radiation is either, because you can't see it in the naked eye."

"It's the same here. There's a spiritual system of impurity and purity, which cannot be tested and measured. So I say to the commentators, if you lack knowledge on the matter, leave us alone and respect. Just like you understand Muslims who take their shoes off before entering a mosque, or don't redicule Christians for taking off their headcovering when entering a church.
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post
15-04-2013, 11:00 AM
(15-04-2013 10:35 AM)Vlad Wrote:  "If some Zulu man had seen me using a cellphone, he would've thought I've had gone crazy! "

Blink He'd think you were fucking crazy if you tried to pass it off as magic, given that everyone and his dog has a cellphone over here...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-04-2013, 11:08 AM
(15-04-2013 11:00 AM)morondog Wrote:  everyone and his dog has a cellphone over here...

Even if the two are rolled up into one. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
15-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Apparently in the Hallach it says that unless anything that lays in a dead man's tent, and isn't located in a closed space which is tied up with a knot or whatever, it becomes impure as well. That's why that man had to put himself in a plastic bag and tied himself for protection from impurity. Of course, it doesn't exlain how just that protects him better than the closed off space of a plane. BUT DON'T ARGUE WITH A RABBI HE KNOWS MORE ABOUT THE HALLACHA THAN YOU DO!!!!11111