When the need for closure is great.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 09:17 AM
RE: When the need for closure is great.
(03-01-2014 07:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Animal control can't be called unless the attack you, which they were after it happened.

Not where I live. Every single time that gate is open I would be calling it in AND telling them that there were previous attacks.

Many of the police officers I have spoken with want to help but they need the community to report the problem. When they start going there 5-6 times and find the gate open and aggressive dog then they can really make a difference.

I call Animal Control for every stray dog I see, unless it's a happy tail wagger or obvious pet that just got lose. And they respond. If your Animal Control doesn't then you need to get the ear of your community govt.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-01-2014, 09:47 AM
(03-01-2014 09:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 07:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Animal control can't be called unless the attack you, which they were after it happened.

Not where I live. Every single time that gate is open I would be calling it in AND telling them that there were previous attacks.

Many of the police officers I have spoken with want to help but they need the community to report the problem. When they start going there 5-6 times and find the gate open and aggressive dog then they can really make a difference.

I call Animal Control for every stray dog I see, unless it's a happy tail wagger or obvious pet that just got lose. And they respond. If your Animal Control doesn't then you need to get the ear of your community govt.

The gate is left open but the dog isn't outside. If the dog is loose I can call, but not until then. What it is is the risk that they are careless. That they may forget it was left open and open the door for the dog to go out, not realizing it's open and he bolts out.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
03-01-2014, 10:18 AM
(03-01-2014 07:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 11:51 PM)Gordon Wrote:  A lot of what I read simply doesn't make sense to me. You have service dogs, but you jog and are now armed (so you're very physically fit and can see), and yet they run without a leash. I'm not getting that. I mean, I don't understand it.

You were attacked; you sued and settled--for what sounds like a pretty hefty amount.

Now you want to write a letter?

It seems to me you might be a lot happier if you just ran a different route. I say that because the next mauling might lead some attorney to ask: "You knew their gate was open, you had unleashed dogs with you, a firearm, and you've been sending them letters. So, why were you willingly putting yourself in danger--even after you were attacked? And why didn't you call animal control?"

I definitely feel bad that you were so badly injured, but your course of action doesn't sound right to me. Just for your own safety and peace of mind, leave the service dogs at home, leave the gun at home, forget the poisoned pen letters, and run another route.

Because, I'll tell you what, I get a bad feeling about this. I think the next time something goes down, you're going to be the one being sued. Maybe you'll shoot one of their dogs. Maybe you'll miss and endanger or injure someone else. Maybe they'll take out a restraining order against you. Maybe you'll be killed by their then adult German Shepherd. Maybe you'll be arrested for brandishing a firearm.

I say this with the greatest respect: It's not worth it. Run another route.

And good luck. Yes

I was out so much money I just broke even. The homeowners were underinsured.

The dog was aggressive but had not hurt anyone yet to my knowledge. I am not disabled. My service dogs are search and rescue. We service the community free of charge. Because i don't get paid for it, I use my running as off-leash obedience training as the most efficient use of my time. (I have to work my paying job too) They are working dogs. As an aside - there are lots of disabilities that you can't see. There are service dogs for more than the immobile or blind. Forgive me, but that statement makes you sound very ignorant.

I was attacked in the middle of a public street. It's my neighborhood, why shouldn't I run through it? I have no choice but to pass their house if I want to run - they live at the entrance of the development for which there is only one entrance in and out. Animal control can't be called unless the attack you, which they were after it happened.

It sounds like you are victim blaming. That I shouldn't have been there because I knew he was aggressive and potentially dangerous.

It's potentially dangerous to run on the road (there is no sidewalks in my development) because I could get hit by a car. Does that mean I shouldn't go and it would be my fault because I knew the risk? Gimme a break dude.

I didn't start running with a weapon until after I was attacked. It is concealed. I don't run with it strapped to my thigh like tomb raider or anything. I am also within my right to have it. I have a permit for it.

Your suggestion is appreciated, but I will probably not take it. In your scenario, I give up my power, my freedom and allow the fear of something happening to me dictate my behavior. Fear does not control me, I control it.

I'm not "victim blaming." I was clearly talking about if you continued on the course you're on, you might not look so much like a victim anymore.

And I'm just trying to give you an outside perspective (which is why I assume you posted this piece). You have been badly injured. You obsessively write letters to these people that apparently aren't fit to send (because you have to keep revising them). You now carry a gun past their house on a daily basis, or on the days you jog by anyway. And you obviously don't feel you got justice in the law suit. I'm not victim blaming at all, but I'm beginning to wonder exactly who the victim is. Again, this is just my outside perspective.

Because, you need to realize, people get big vicious German Shepherds because they are afraid of people who write a single letter 50 times but can't send it, carry guns past their house, run with unleashed dogs, and don't feel they can turn to the law (law suits, animal control, etc.). People get dogs and guns to protect them from people like that. And if there's a religious component (I'm not saying there is, but if there is...), like they are Christians and you're an atheist, they are probably a lot more scared of you than you are of them.

So, I'm not "victim blaming," I'm telling you that getting a clear bead (no pun intended) on who the victim is, is getting harder to do...from an outsider's point of view, which you probably don't want to hear, but I wanted to defend my point of view.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in moving forward on your life's path. Yes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-01-2014, 10:22 AM
(03-01-2014 09:17 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  

That's very good advice. Bowing
03-01-2014, 10:32 AM
sorry...extraneous post...please delete. Smile
03-01-2014, 11:15 AM
(03-01-2014 07:30 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  As an aside, I've written this letter 50 times over the last 9 months. The next letter more reasonable than its predecessor.
I've written the final letter (for now) and I don't feel even slightly better for having written it. Which is why I think it just needs to be sent in order to get closure.

I would say to send it if its nine months in the making. You may get no response from them, a positive response or a negative response either in person or by a reply.

As long as you are prepared for all three.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
03-01-2014, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 12:10 PM by Cathym112.)
(03-01-2014 10:18 AM)Gordon Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 07:58 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  I was out so much money I just broke even. The homeowners were underinsured.

The dog was aggressive but had not hurt anyone yet to my knowledge. I am not disabled. My service dogs are search and rescue. We service the community free of charge. Because i don't get paid for it, I use my running as off-leash obedience training as the most efficient use of my time. (I have to work my paying job too) They are working dogs. As an aside - there are lots of disabilities that you can't see. There are service dogs for more than the immobile or blind. Forgive me, but that statement makes you sound very ignorant.

I was attacked in the middle of a public street. It's my neighborhood, why shouldn't I run through it? I have no choice but to pass their house if I want to run - they live at the entrance of the development for which there is only one entrance in and out. Animal control can't be called unless the attack you, which they were after it happened.

It sounds like you are victim blaming. That I shouldn't have been there because I knew he was aggressive and potentially dangerous.

It's potentially dangerous to run on the road (there is no sidewalks in my development) because I could get hit by a car. Does that mean I shouldn't go and it would be my fault because I knew the risk? Gimme a break dude.

I didn't start running with a weapon until after I was attacked. It is concealed. I don't run with it strapped to my thigh like tomb raider or anything. I am also within my right to have it. I have a permit for it.

Your suggestion is appreciated, but I will probably not take it. In your scenario, I give up my power, my freedom and allow the fear of something happening to me dictate my behavior. Fear does not control me, I control it.

I'm not "victim blaming." I was clearly talking about if you continued on the course you're on, you might not look so much like a victim anymore.

And I'm just trying to give you an outside perspective (which is why I assume you posted this piece). You have been badly injured. You obsessively write letters to these people that apparently aren't fit to send (because you have to keep revising them). You now carry a gun past their house on a daily basis, or on the days you jog by anyway. And you obviously don't feel you got justice in the law suit. I'm not victim blaming at all, but I'm beginning to wonder exactly who the victim is. Again, this is just my outside perspective.

Because, you need to realize, people get big vicious German Shepherds because they are afraid of people who write a single letter 50 times but can't send it, carry guns past their house, run with unleashed dogs, and don't feel they can turn to the law (law suits, animal control, etc.). People get dogs and guns to protect them from people like that. And if there's a religious component (I'm not saying there is, but if there is...), like they are Christians and you're an atheist, they are probably a lot more scared of you than you are of them.

So, I'm not "victim blaming," I'm telling you that getting a clear bead (no pun intended) on who the victim is, is getting harder to do...from an outsider's point of view, which you probably don't want to hear, but I wanted to defend my point of view.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in moving forward on your life's path. Yes

I see your point. If I were to get attacked again, you are saying it would be my fault, so in a sense, you are victim blaming. News Flash: Its not my responsibility to keep the neighborhood safe from someone else's animals. How would they know I've written letters that I didn't send? How would they know I carry a concealed weapon? How would they know I feel the way I feel if I've already said they don't even know the extent of the damage they did? The point of the OP is that I have not spoken to them since she yelled at me for having my dogs off leash and blamed me for what happened, so how would they know I don't feel like I've gotten justice!? How would they know I'm an atheist? Does any of what you are saying even make any sense if you actually read the OP?

They never knew my last name before the attack. We waved to each other when I ran by. That was the extent of our interactions. I had introduced myself after I knocked on his door 2 years ago to tell him that his dog was loose. He thanked me and apologized that his fence was on the fritz. He knew my dogs were service dogs as they wear service dog vests an their advanced training is obvious. While his dog would bark at me and mine as we ran by, my dogs haven't barked, growled or retaliated in any way. For someone to be afraid of two service dogs just because they are off leash is a bit of a stretch

Unfortunately, you make a lot of assumptions (kinda like you do about God) that are just not based on any evidence.

He is a corrections officer at the local prison. I doubt he is afraid of me at all.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
03-01-2014, 07:25 PM
(03-01-2014 11:43 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Unfortunately, you make a lot of assumptions (kinda like you do about God) that are just not based on any evidence.

Yeah...

Okay, well good luck. Thumbsup
03-01-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 02:43 AM by GirlyMan.)
(02-01-2014 07:33 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So I wrote them a letter instead. It doesn't threaten, or otherwise insult. It just says that I don't want to fight with them anymore, that we must coexist in the neighborhood, that their behavior is unacceptable and that this is what they cost me, emotionally, physically and financially. Then I also include photos of the unlatched gate, and inform them in writing that their other dog is showing signs of aggression. I would need this if anything ever happens again to me or another community resident.

To send (certified of course) or not to send? I am not sure I can move on without having my say. I don't need them to apologize, or even acknowledge it. It provably won't even make them feel badly. It's not for them. It's for me to say what I need to say and tell them what they did is not ok.

Thoughts?

Burn the letter. They've already demonstrated they are unreasonable. They will try to turn that letter against you. Carry a high-powered air horn and some bear-level pepper spray in addition to your firearm. The air horn seriously fucks them up and confuses the hell outta them. The bear pepper spray won't permanently scar them other than to remember to leave you the fuck alone. The firearm is a last life-saving resort. ... Oh and Manly says if you got a cat that will run alongside you that ain't declawed take it with you. There are very few dogs that can take a cat with claws. One claw to the snout and that fucking dog is outta there. She's seen 'em send pitbulls running away with their tail between their legs. Cats are boxers. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
15-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Update: The settlement check has been deposited as of last week. I thought perhaps the check in my bank account would settle the issue for me. But no dice.

I am going to send the letter. I cannot let this go until I do. I am tired of "fighting" with them in my mind every time I run. Fantasizing about what I should have said to the wife when she yelled at me afterward...etc. I want to just put it behind me and I can't until I've said what I need to say.

[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post