When they don't know enough things to communicate with

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: When they don't know enough things to communicate with
(05-10-2013 09:09 PM)sieve Wrote:  My mother told me a couple weeks ago that science couldn't be right because they keep changing their minds.

The idea that science is wrong because it "changes" is insane to me. It's such an easy concept, I understood it in elementary school.

The insanity of the idea that it's wrong because it "changes" is that that implies I could only be right if it already knows everything about the universe and all of reality at the very moment science was first utilized. That obviously couldn't be possible. You have to start from somewhere with less knowledge and work to somewhere with more as you build upon it. That's just how things work. I understood that when I was three.

If you're in first grade and you are wrong because you keep "changing" your understanding of the world by learning math, science, English, social studies, literature, spelling, vocabulary, music and so on, then why ever try? Because the very fact that you "change" your knowledge of these subjects is just proof that you are wrong about them. You could not possibly know anything under that logic unless you've always known it from the moment you were birthed.

The point of science, as I see it, is to become less wrong about the world. We are born knowing next to nothing other than mom's voice and instinctive responses. We make the best guess we can with the limited knowledge we are born with and as we grow we widdle away the false beliefs as we are able to identify them, and are left with more of reality.

At some point when I was a child I surely must have thought the sun moved in the sky. I don't actually remember thinking this because it must have been explained to me very young how it actually works, but I'm sure we all must have at first though that to be true, because that is what it looks like is happening. Is the fact that we learn the truth about how it operates, and that subsequential "change" in our knowledge is the very proof that we are wrong? Of course not.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post
06-10-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking how she went to religious school for 8 years, then high school where she never took much math or science, then one year of teacher's college. So she didn't learn much about science there. She also doesn't seem to have my thirst for knowledge. If I have a choice between a fiction book or a book about physics, physics wins every time. She's not dumb, just no frame of reference for science I guess. I just think the less you know, the less you learn, the easier it is for someone with dubious information to convince you that they are right. They might be less informed than you are. I don't know if I'll ever tell her I'm an atheist. Might be too world-shaking for someone that has had it drilled into them for so many years.

I'm not normally like this.
09-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Nice thread. I have zero family and friends that are Atheist./sci-curious [Aliens/ghosters arnt Atheist imho].
Im of average iq but to most of my friends think im some sort of genius.. because I know "stuff"

Feel like im forever facepalming over simple physics ignorance.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-10-2013, 04:03 AM
(09-10-2013 07:05 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Nice thread. I have zero family and friends that are Atheist./sci-curious [Aliens/ghosters arnt Atheist imho].
Im of average iq but to most of my friends think im some sort of genius.. because I know "stuff"

There are only five people I know that I can have intelligent conversations about religion and science face-to-face where I live. Of those five, one is my best friend and another one I'm dating. Rolleyes The other three are coworkers. Fortunately my mother finds these debates very interesting (she's essentially an agnostic pantheist), and all of my younger siblings are essentially agnostic atheists, they're just not as vocal or well read on the subject. I'm the only one that studies theology, history, and science as a hobby in my family; even among the believers... Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
16-10-2013, 03:34 PM
I think I have to give props to what is arguably THE best thing I have ever heard from any teacher ever. It comes from a teacher of geology at the University of Tennessee. If I had her name still I'd give it, she really does deserve serious props for this. She was giving a lecture on geographic distribution of animals as due to tectonic shifting and isolation of populations, and a student stood up. The student asked, "This is all old-earth science and evolutionism, shouldn't you also give the young-earth creationist perspective?" The professor looked at this girl then said: "This is a science class, and we are here to discuss science. We must restrict ourselves to what is presented by the evidence. If you want to discuss creationism you may take it up with a world history teacher, but it is not scientifically valid and so we will not discuss it."
16-10-2013, 05:10 PM
(16-10-2013 03:34 PM)natachan Wrote:  She was giving a lecture on geographic distribution of animals as due to tectonic shifting and isolation of populations,

The top answer creationists have for animal distribution after NOAH is an exploding volcano that blew all the small animals to their respective locations.
I had to read that several times and make sure I was not on a parody website.

If that belongs in a science classroom then we are doomed as a species.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
16-10-2013, 09:14 PM
When they don't know enough things to communicate with
(11-10-2013 04:03 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 07:05 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Nice thread. I have zero family and friends that are Atheist./sci-curious [Aliens/ghosters arnt Atheist imho].

There are only five people I know that I can have intelligent conversations about religion and science face-to-face where I live. Of those five, one is my best friend and another one I'm dating. Rolleyes The other three are coworkers. Fortunately my mother finds these debates very interesting (she's essentially an agnostic pantheist), and all of my younger siblings are essentially agnostic atheists, they're just not as vocal or well read on the subject. I'm the only one that studies theology, history, and science as a hobby in my family; even among the believers... Dodgy

The religious are the least well read with regard to the bible, and know the least amount of theology. They already believe, so they don't see the need to study their religion. That's what faith is all about.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."