When was the last time you went to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 09:55 PM
RE: When was the last time you went to church?
HI everyone,

Longtime lurker here. I played a gig in a church about two weeks ago. Before that it was several years.
The people were very nice. The pastor got up at one point and said words.
As the guest artist, I was expected to speak for five minutes or so. I didn't attack religion (I'm an atheist) but other than a passing reference to mission work I didn't mention god or jee bus at all. Instead I spoke about how it is everyone's responsibility and privilege to make meaning for themselves, etc.
Got some positive feedback about the music and the speech so overall it was a good experience.

Dromgar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2014, 10:03 PM
(19-02-2014 04:14 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  'Twas many a moon ago. Since I was so young back then, I can barely remember it; I can just see fragments here and there. Wearing a suit, Noah's Ark in Sunday School, a pool table* (I don't get that last one). It was probably around 8-10 years ago.

*and hundreds of pedophilic wrinkly old men surrounded ne.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
19-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Last weekend. Sad

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-02-2014, 10:20 PM
(19-02-2014 07:23 PM)Pippen Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 07:12 PM)Drich Wrote:  One place.com is a great place to listen to many different archived lessons. James McDonald is a great preacher.

Looks lame. Total sausage fest. And what is with their teeth?

I think some of them are European.Big Grin

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
19-02-2014, 10:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday night service.

I waited until the end so that I could stick around, chat to people, and help talk them out of their faith.
[+] 1 user Likes Vulpix's post
19-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Last time was after I had become an atheist but family was still going. Someone got up to pray and cracked a joke about how hot hell would be for unbelievers, prompting loud laughter from the crowd. I walked out. It prompted a great conversation with my wife who is now also atheist. That was the last time our family went to church. Christians laughing about people burning, nice.
[+] 1 user Likes freetoreason's post
19-02-2014, 10:54 PM
Right before I realized I had become agnostic. It felt so strange...this was nearly two years ago now.
19-02-2014, 10:59 PM
(19-02-2014 10:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Last weekend. Sad

What did you forget in there?
19-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Weddings! The last one was in Greece, they had a Greek orthodox ceremony which nobody but the bride's grandmother understood, and an Anglican blessing. The English vicar was pretty eloquent, rambled a bit about love and then tried to somehow shoehorn the whole of love into god's love... or something.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
20-02-2014, 01:10 AM
Baptism of my sister-in-law's daughter 2years ago. I was briefed beforehand that I should say nothing at all and refrain from rolling my eyes. The other side of the family is mostly very religious, but my GF's an atheist (but not really a militant one).

My GF was asked to be a sponsor for the girl, together with the girl's grandmother. She also had to promise to give the girl a catholic upbringing.

I grinned...

After the ceremony one of the religious in-laws said to me, "a beautiful service, wasn't it?"

I responded smiling that the baptism wasn't valid, as Canon Law states the following, Can. 873 There is to be only one male sponsor or one female sponsor or one of each. Having 2 female sponsors is a clear violation of those rules.

But, I continued, we'll still teach her good christian values, like killing homosexuals (Lev. 20:13) or the fact that women are second class citizens (1 Timothy 2:11-12). We won't teach her those secular humanist values like tolerance, freethinking and equal rights for all.

I wasn't invited for the baptism of their second daughter...

Did I say something wrong? I just wanted to help, you know?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post