When was the last time you went trick-or-treating?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2016, 06:25 AM
RE: When was the last time you went trick-or-treating?
(24-10-2016 05:50 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Why would any self-respecting atheist take part in an ancient religious ceremony?

Free candy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
24-10-2016, 07:20 AM
(24-10-2016 05:50 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Why would any self-respecting atheist take part in an ancient religious ceremony? Halloween, (All Hallows’ Evening) is widely known as a celebration observed on the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day, starting with a 3-day observance of Allhallowtide, the period in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints, martyrs, and all the faithful Christian departed.

Early in church history, Christians began to celebrate the "saints"—heroes of the faith—and by the 7th century, All Saints' Day was celebrated annually throughout the Christian world.

—Angie Mosteller, Is Halloween Pagan in Origin?.

Halloween is primarily an American custom, and when I was a kid here in Australia in the 1940s through the 1950s, Halloween wasn't even widely known of, and certainly wasn't typified by noisome brats in fancy dress begging for free lollies (candy) at your front door. It's only been courtesy [sic] of US corporations and their cynical marketers that this absurd pseudo-celebration has gained a hold in Australia—although, thankfully, that's starting to decline now.

The only thing any kid game enough to knock on my door will be eating is a knuckle sandwich.

There are some Christian sects here who are against Halloween 'cause evil. I think Halloween has taken on a life of its own in modern times. I celebrate Halloween by getting dressed up, handing out candy, going to (or having) a Halloween party, or going out to a bar that has a Halloween themed night.

Christmas trees also have a Pagan/Christian origin, but I still have one. I love sitting around the fireplace with a tree with pretty lights. I usually rent a potted living tree, so no trees are harmed in this process Wink Tongue

I think as atheists we can celebrate what we want and take the religion out of the equation. When I celebrate these holidays, I don't think about Jesus or saints or anything. There are no religious items on my tree (well, except for my FSM ornament) and I don't go to church to celebrate any saints on Halloween like some of my religious friends do. During these holidays, I think about having fun, eating some good eats, and spending time with family and friends.

Part of being an atheist means thinking for yourself--being free to do what you want without someone (either the church or a magical sky daddy) telling you what you can or cannot do. I totally understand an atheist's choice not to take part in any of these holiday type things, but I also understand why some atheists, like myself, enjoy the festivities while kicking the religious undertones to the curb.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-10-2016, 09:26 AM
The last time I went ended in washing police cars. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-10-2016, 09:30 AM
(24-10-2016 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  The last time I went ended in washing police cars. Dodgy

Wrong cars to throw eggs at? Big Grin
24-10-2016, 09:33 AM
(24-10-2016 05:50 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Why would any self-respecting atheist take part in an ancient religious ceremony? Halloween, (All Hallows’ Evening) is widely known as a celebration observed on the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day, starting with a 3-day observance of Allhallowtide, the period in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints, martyrs, and all the faithful Christian departed.

Even though I really don't like anything related to religions, I don't really pay attention to that when it comes to celebrations that are mostly celebrated now with no reference to the religion they originate from.
About Christmas for instance, in France where there is a very large proportion of atheist, a lot of people celebrate it, sometimes without even knowing the christian origin, so I don't mind the christian root since it has almost become totally unrelated to it.
Same goes for Halloween, we don't celebrate it, but that's a celebration I appreciate, for the fun (nice decorations, nice atmosphere).
Sadly, religion has been the root for a lot of things, even my firstname has a religious root (even though my parents are atheist). So as long as it's just a root, and not something currently religious, I try not to pay much attention to it. But I completely understand your point of view.

If we ban all the celebrations that have a religious root, there won't be much to celebrate (and I must admit I appreciate the day off for easter, christmas, and a few other celebrations Smile).
[+] 1 user Likes Sturm's post
24-10-2016, 10:14 AM
(24-10-2016 09:30 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 09:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  The last time I went ended in washing police cars. Dodgy

Wrong cars to throw eggs at? Big Grin

And shaving cream. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2016, 10:19 AM
6th or 7th grade maybe.

24-10-2016, 11:47 AM
(24-10-2016 10:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-10-2016 09:30 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Wrong cars to throw eggs at? Big Grin

And shaving cream. Smile

Laugh out load Heinous!
24-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Probably when I was five years old.
24-10-2016, 02:40 PM
I think I was 16 or 15. I know I haven't done it after my mom's stroke and we're coming up on the third Halloween with that, but I THINK there was one year before that where I didn't go either.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.