When will Creationism be irrelevant in the US like it is in other developed countries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 09:09 PM
When will Creationism be irrelevant in the US like it is in other developed countries
I mean seriously, In Ireland, Japan, the UK,etc. Creation is completely laughed at and there is absolutely no debate when it comes to Evolution Vs Creation. When is it going to be the same for the US?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 09:15 PM
RE: When will Creationism be irrelevant in the US like it is in other developed countries
It will take time, not sure how long though. Atheism definitely is growing in the U.S., but when the time will come where creationism is considered to be irrelevant is something that nobody can say for sure. I just hope that the number of atheists in the U.S. continues to grow at a more rapid pace as years go by.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
23-03-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: When will Creationism be irrelevant in the US like it is in other developed countries
(23-03-2014 09:09 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean seriously, In Ireland, Japan, the UK,etc. Creation is completely laughed at and there is absolutely no debate when it comes to Evolution Vs Creation. When is it going to be the same for the US?

It's because God used to be heavily reinforced in schools. And also because the whole starting of america was by people who wanted to worship what they wanted, (christ) and also indoctrinate native americans.

Also america has "freedom," which means if people don't understand something, they can just drop out of school or ignore it. (Because here we don't teach evolution or "the facts of life" IN MOST STATES until highschool.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
23-03-2014, 10:04 PM
(23-03-2014 09:09 PM)Aleprauchanist Wrote:  I mean seriously, In Ireland, Japan, the UK,etc. Creation is completely laughed at and there is absolutely no debate when it comes to Evolution Vs Creation. When is it going to be the same for the US?

I think it's really a vocal minority (aggrandized in the media) in the U.S., much like 99% Christians claim the bible is all true, yet they turn their back on it to follow a secular code of morals.
Many, possibly most Christians say they believe in creation to keep a perceived peace, agreeing to a creationist tag because they do not understand the connotations of it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
23-03-2014, 10:04 PM
Its worth remembering that the apparent lack of debate in the UK may be less to do with creationism being a minority, and more to do with the fact that Tony Blair's government effectively gave them what they want in the form of "faith schools"... State funded schools that can teach absolutely anything they want. Evolution and science in general are usually the first on the chopping block.

But its rarely reported, and the UK seems to be full of spineless apologists these days, who won't challenge it, because its a "matter of faith". Dodgy

As my old dad used to say... "Fuck 'em all"

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2014, 10:11 PM

Probably last. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
23-03-2014, 10:28 PM

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
23-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Probably somewhere around 2050, given the increasing demographics of the "nones."

But, who really knows.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
23-03-2014, 10:29 PM
It already is. They just don't know it yet.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
24-03-2014, 08:26 AM
As long as religion and belief has the undeservedly thick wall of respect, it will be an issue. I wouldn't say it's irrelevant yet, but it's getting there slowly.

I had this debate with my mom this past weekend. She is still on the stance that if it's just their belief, then who cares? Teaching religious belief doesn't hurt anyone. So I went through the list of how it does, and that just because there is more than one belief on something, doesn't mean they're all correct. I can say Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real and the Earth is flat. Doesn't mean I'm right or that my ideas should be taught out of fairness.

We got into a bigger debate, but I don't want to derail. My mom is a sweetheart, and for the most part, completely logical. But like her, there are many people who are indoctrinated into believing that speaking against religion and belief is wrong. Besides, it's not hurting anyone.

(ps- I convinced her to read The God Delusion. Fingers crossed...)

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.