When will all religions extinct?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 08:48 AM by CuriousHuman.)
When will all religions extinct?
First, sorry if my English is bad, though im not from any English speaking country.
And i am new here sorry if there is many wrong so Check Me If Im Wrong.

Well, the first and the only one futuristic and science fiction film i know that there is still a single human believe in religion is Prometheus.
(She still believes another beliefs, even after her true "god", wants to kill the entire humanity??? this film's protagonist sucks, but still i am curious about its sequel)

Hey, I am CuriousHuman, and i am curious about it, about how will religion end up in the future.

Will it extinct?
what happening? and when will it happen? is there any sign of this? (rational signs only, "omens" doesnt allowed)

or
Will it survive?
why it should? and how?

or it could be survived because it is actually become a new kind? Like...
its evolved?
evolved becoming a money machine? a religion for robot?

use our imagination! it is maybe a new literature divisions, Beliefs-Fiction! aka Bli-Fi Smile thethethe Tongue

[spoiler=I need all of your references!]Im also need all of your references, for my original sci-fi story.
My study here is for the religion aspects on a futuristic apocalyptic world

The story set in an futuristic apocalyptic world. Alternate timeline when civil rights, apartheid movement all fail. And a secret society of smart people have one absolute solution for this is to create a final "Religion" for man to fear of their "sins". Well actually it is still in development

so the story went apocalyptic as the plan goes, is still complicated and the story revolves around a curious girl finding the truth behind the "Religion" and the apocalypse, "The God's Judgement" (where the God is actually God's, aka the smart people of the so secret society Tongue)

oh no, my copyright!!!
[/spoiler]

My findings on the internet is Atheism is increasing.
So we are talking in a global scale and all religions, an example of a place or a religion and how it goes extinct could be helpful.

I really need your opinion Smile
Lets Discuss! Smile

---
edited for better grammar, and the spoiler doesnt work Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: When will all religions extinct?
Personally, I find religion to be used to explain scientific ignorance. And, well, I doubt science will ever know "everything" and even if they do, it's the people who will have to learn it too to understand. There's just too many ignorant/crazy people. I don't think religion will ever truly become "extinct", although I think that eventually it's grip on the public will lessen over the years.

Atir aissom atir imon
17-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Add a "]" and take out the "=" for it to work.
Should look like this:
[spoiler]

Atir aissom atir imon
17-01-2014, 11:15 AM
I doubt it will go extinct. It may eventually be relegated to a lunatic fringe, but it won't go away. I can see fundamentalism mostly disappearing in the next half a century, but I don't see it going away.

The reason I feel this way is because if you ever get into a serious discussion with a theist, at some point, you will realize that they believe what they believe because they want to. Especially regarding fundamentalists, they can be very good about choosing what facts to accept and what to ignore to keep their world view intact.

Because of that, there will likely always be people who are religious, no matter what other facts are available.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
17-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you read through the forum (particular posts regarding religion) when you have extra time. But Do please keep asking those questions.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
17-01-2014, 11:29 AM
As long as there are people willing to believe in it religion will definitely not go away anytime soon but it will slowly lose its grip on the society.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
17-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I fear religion will always be here in one form or another, until the human race itself becomes extinct.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
17-01-2014, 12:46 PM
One thing that will slow religion down is if scientists can create life in a lab from amino acids or something inanimate. I know they have theories about the beginnings of life but until they actually create life from scratch religious nuts will always point to god as the creator of life.

If anyone knows more about abiogenesis I'd be interested.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-01-2014, 12:51 PM
As long as there is hope, fear, and gullibility among society there will be the religious. Practices will evolve and adapt, as they are doing now, but they unfortunately will be around to some degree although the sciences are continuously eliminating the reasons for faith based explanations.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
17-01-2014, 02:14 PM
(17-01-2014 08:40 AM)CuriousHuman Wrote:  Will it extinct?
what happening? and when will it happen? is there any sign of this? (rational signs only, "omens" doesnt allowed)

or
Will it survive?
why it should? and how?

or it could be survived because it is actually become a new kind? Like...
its evolved?
evolved becoming a money machine? a religion for robot?

I think it will become *functionally* extinct, i.e. not quite dead but nearly dead. Like in the UK or other places in Europe, religion is just not important any more. It will become irrelevant.

A caveat is that if the world goes to shit with war/famine/diseases, as seems quite likely (large population, finite resources, global warming, etc.) then I think religion will become strong again. It's a good tool for controlling people after all. Strong states need such tools.

There is a good sci-fi short story I read once about a robot becoming the pope...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.