Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 04:20 PM
When you deconverted from Christianity...
...were Christian hypocrisy and/or the judgmental nature of the church, religion, or other Christians major contributing factors?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2015, 04:22 PM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
(18-02-2015 04:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...were Christian hypocrisy and/or the judgmental nature of the church, religion, or other Christians major contributing factors?

Yes all of the above.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2015, 04:23 PM
(18-02-2015 04:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 04:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...were Christian hypocrisy and/or the judgmental nature of the church, religion, or other Christians major contributing factors?

Yes all of the above.

You're too quick -_-

lol responded before I could post the poll.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Not really, no. Those things were the reason that I was something of a self-hating Christian for several years before I started to deconvert; I still believed, I still identified as Christian, but I was very critical of fundamentalism and "the church." It wasn't until I got over that and started trying to get more involved with church and strengthen my faith that the doubts really hit.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 1 user Likes KnowtheSilence's post
18-02-2015, 04:24 PM
I would say these things were a factor, but the biggie was the total break from science that the myths of Genesis portrays, then the problem of evil.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
18-02-2015, 04:26 PM
(18-02-2015 04:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 04:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yes all of the above.

You're too quick -_-

lol responded before I could post the poll.

I actually answered the poll it was there when it refreshed. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2015, 04:31 PM
I would say neither because the question seems focused on Christianity. Not that I ever had real strong ties to Christian thoughts, but when I firmly was aware I was what I'd call atheist, it was after seeing hypocrisy out of all conflicts and claims of world religious all over after I went through that study the Wiccans and Buddhist thoughts phases

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
18-02-2015, 04:35 PM
I voted for hypocrisy as that put the bad taste in my mouth, but my deconversion was mainly due to my journey to seek the truth behind the myth, and the more I learned of the fabrication, fiction, forgery and fantasy, the less I believed...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
18-02-2015, 05:01 PM
Same as Inquisition but also for me it was the lack of corroborating historical evidence for things like killing of the kids as claimed in Matthew, the Quirinius/Herrod problem, mistranslations that resulted in so many different versions of the inerrant word of god, and other things like that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
18-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Neither had much of an impact on my lack of belief. The hypocrisy was irritating sure but honestly most of the world is hypocritical from politics to organized sports. While one could make the argument that a religion claiming to have a direct connection to god should be able to do a bit better, it never really bothered me.

The judgmental nature of the religious never really bothered me either. Granted I'm not a gay ethnic minority woman so I didn't really have it that bad, but I was always comforted by the fact that in my life the Venn Diagram of "judgmental religious assholes" and "least educated and qualified to judge person int he room" was a fuckin' circle. Still it is tedious I suppose.

The reason I don't believe is because no religious person I have ever met nor heard of has been able to provide a single scrap of evidence that what they say is anything less then made up bullshit. The completely lack of evidence to support their position is really all I need to reject their opinion. A compelling abundance of demonstrable, testable, and/or falsifiable evidence would be all it would take to convince me they are right.

All the other issues with Christianity are incidental, though they do build a stronger foundation for the rejection of such silly nonsensical drivel.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 12 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post