Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 06:02 PM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
Even as I child I saw the Bible as a collection of stories, not unlike Aesop's fables. I remember being shocked to find out later that there are people who believe every word of the Bible to be true.

My younger years were spent in college towns with a great diversity of people from all over the world.

My religious teaching was during Catechism classes on Saturday mornings.

When we moved to my dad's hometown (nearly all Catholic) I was struck by the hypocrisy. Though only eleven when we moved there the BS was obvious as far as the believers went. As I got older the hypocrisy became harder and harder to tolerate. Finally after the refusal to baptize my daughter I had enough.

Catholicism was over for me but I still thought that you HAD to have a religious affiliation. Years of study didn't lead me to one I could get on board with. That study also opened my eyes to even more BS till I finally realized that I didn't have to believe in a god or gods nor did I and I wasn't going to fake it to fit in.

Hypocrisy played a huge part. Were it not for that I probably would have just followed along and remained a participating Catholic. I just couldn't stand the people any more.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
18-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Real life contains all of those choices too, so religion isn't unique in that regards. It's just not real.

'Murican Canadian
18-02-2015, 06:46 PM
Neither. I blame the nihilists and existentialists. Bastards should be banned.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Sorta I was a single mom for close to 10 years and every church I tried always has something to say about me being single with kids. If it wasn't that I should have made my marriage work to y wasn't I married yet. No one stopped to consider that none of it was my fault. I mean my ex just took off with another woman and I never saw him again.
But mainly in my effort to learn about god I found out that there is no proof for god or even Jesus or even most people in the bible then all the stories just didn't make sense. Then I started reading about how god said to kill this group of people and rape and that crap. I took a step back and slowly came to realize it was a bunch of Huey.
[+] 3 users Like purpledaisies's post
18-02-2015, 07:25 PM
The hypocrisy did play a role, but mostly it was reading the whole bible. It's mostly a nasty book.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Neither really, I just thought it was all ancient, mystical bullshit.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
18-02-2015, 07:31 PM
(18-02-2015 06:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Neither. I blame the nihilists and existentialists. Bastards should be banned.

But what would be the point ultimately man.......

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 3 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
18-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Thanks, guys.

This is actually pretty interesting data.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Maybe I overestimated the need of my own personal fight.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I voted for hypocrisy, it is what sent me looking to explore my religion.

I had all the incantations and rituals down and I thought I understood what it was I believed. It wasn’t until I saw the hypocrisy up close and personal that I embarked on my journey to truly understand.

Then, like goodwithoutgod, the more I looked the less sense it all made. Twenty years of childhood indoctrination do not fall easily by the wayside. The internal conflict this created was extremely difficult to live through and it has taken many years to be at peace with myself again.

If there is anything that was positive about the experience I cannot say. I do know that teaching supernatural dogma to children is harmful. Adults should wait to present their flavor of religion to their kids when they can weigh for themselves the merits of the teachings.

I suppose if this was the case we would not have to have a forum for the atheist minority.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce