Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2015, 08:29 PM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
Not really. I decided that even if the bible and everything my teachers were saying was false, it had no bearing on the existence or non existence of god. Either he existed or he didn't. And as such I wanted some verification of the arguments that people were making, some external way to confirm or deny the existence of this God. I couldn't find any, and I could find lots of evidence that there never was any.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
18-02-2015, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2015 08:47 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Not really. I never hung around the "conservatives", and while I am aware of many "hypocrites", I also know some people of faith (many actually) who could easily be considered "saintly". I still think KC if you're gonna stay with a religious community, you should hang around with the (liberal, educated) Episcopalians, or some such equivalent group. It would be a nice supportive change. At least you wouldn't have to keep beating your head against a wall. Life is too short. There has to be a liberal congregation that would have you. For me, it was the learning path.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-02-2015, 08:49 PM
(18-02-2015 08:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There has to be a liberal congregation that would have you.

UU's ain't got no problem with Calvinists.

#sigh
18-02-2015, 08:56 PM
(18-02-2015 07:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Maybe I overestimated the need of my own personal fight.

Why do you say that?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-02-2015, 09:02 PM
(18-02-2015 08:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There has to be a liberal congregation that would have you.

UU's ain't got no problem with Calvinists.

I went to hear Sr. Simone Campbell (from the "nuns on the bus") talk about justice recently.. (She did an address at the last Dem Nat'l convention I think). She's SO far beyond the rest of the Roman Church. Their Leadership Conference had a seminar a couple years ago : "Moving beyond Jesus". Big Grin Some gutsy liberal broads.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
18-02-2015, 09:37 PM
It started with realizing that it's all unsubstantiated bullshit.

After that, religion's transgressions just became stuff I could throw in its face.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-02-2015, 10:16 PM
(18-02-2015 08:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 07:51 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Maybe I overestimated the need of my own personal fight.

Why do you say that?

I second that. I don't get it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-02-2015, 10:52 PM
(18-02-2015 10:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 08:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Why do you say that?

I second that. I don't get it.

Most everyone knows I'm very vocal against hypocrites in the church and judgmental Christians.

From the data I've been collecting, maybe that fight... That monster isn't as bad as I perceived. And, it might not be worth the fight.

Perhaps I've been wrong to be so vocal against it. Perhaps it's just an accepted "thing" and should be expected; therefore, I should focus myself elsewhere and upon other issues.

Maybe I had an overinflated imagination and created a monster in my head when the monster was just an insect in real life.

I'm open-minded enough to realize I could be wrong in my fight and that I've been pissing in the wind.

Just some things to consider. I follow the evidence.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-02-2015, 11:48 PM
KC,

I think you are looking to find and fix what turns people away from religion. Does that sound right? It sounds to me like you’re on a Quixotic quest to “fix” Christians so that they don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Am I even close?

Saying one thing and doing quite another would be a good start. But as we can both see from the poll, hypocrisy isn’t the leading reason.

Maybe it’s simply people’s search for answers that moves them away from religion. You can’t fix that.

My two cents worth.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-02-2015, 11:59 PM
I have never felt really that the Christians I interact with are insincere. Just... I dunno. I think everyone has these kind of things where they are very certain that X is correct, it makes them... inflexible. Since I know that X is correct, anything that is in contradiction of that fact necessarily must be flawed.

For me the deconversion was powered by the realisation that if I asked too much about certain stuff there were no answers forthcoming, just instructions to pray harder or have faith - faith has never sat well with me. Science is infinitely more satisfying in that regard.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post