Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 12:50 AM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
reason 1
if god listens to you no matter where you are then why the *** do I have to go to church to pray ?
reason 2
why should I go just because others do ?
reason 3
whats with all the singing ? are we supposed ot entertain god or something ?

these are the main questions that got me to hate religion, this was when I was 6, I left the religion when I was 9
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
19-02-2015, 02:03 AM
Not applicable: I was raised nonbelieving and thus never deconverted.
19-02-2015, 02:22 AM
I chose neither.

Being judged hasn't been a factor at all. The hypocrisy is there, but as it has been said, it's everywhere and I'm aware (rhyme!) of this. What put a doubt and then made me realize I had changed my mind was listening and watching many videos about this topic with debates or other types of shows, occasionally reading articles and stuff, although the most was done with videos. I noticed the lack of concrete reasons (Evidence) to believe in a concept I had considered obvious for all my life, and the contradictions, etc.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
19-02-2015, 04:31 AM
I chose neither. Hypocrisy and nosy judgmental assholes are why I stopped going to church, but not why I stopped believing.

Granted, I probably would have had less reason to question if I weren't so disgruntled and argued about loving one another vs stumbling blocks vs all that other bullshit about righteousness and whatnot.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
19-02-2015, 05:16 AM
(18-02-2015 10:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 10:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I second that. I don't get it.

Most everyone knows I'm very vocal against hypocrites in the church and judgmental Christians.

From the data I've been collecting, maybe that fight... That monster isn't as bad as I perceived. And, it might not be worth the fight.

Perhaps I've been wrong to be so vocal against it. Perhaps it's just an accepted "thing" and should be expected; therefore, I should focus myself elsewhere and upon other issues.

Maybe I had an overinflated imagination and created a monster in my head when the monster was just an insect in real life.

I'm open-minded enough to realize I could be wrong in my fight and that I've been pissing in the wind.

Just some things to consider. I follow the evidence.

I think that it is an issue that needs to be addressed for the sanity of the congregations. While for most here those weren't what did it, I'm not going to say that these aren't issues that need to be addressed. Any organization that has hypocrisy and judgemental attitudes needs reformation, if not to attract new members then just to help those who are already members.

If you are fighting these in the church I find that laudable. Religion isn't for me but those who want it shouldn't be subjected to a hostile atmosphere.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
19-02-2015, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 05:32 AM by Hafnof.)
It's always hard to say for certain what one's own thoughts were in the past. All of these memories have been recalled and revised so many times that they can only match one's own thoughts now and likely do not match those of the time.

Nevertheless, my conversion factors I believe mostly came down to:
- A slightly insane mother in law who forced me to take the question "how do we know what we know?" seriously. I had to question my epistemology.
- My mother freaking out over my scientific bent of thought. I guess she thought I was an atheist. I wasn't. I was devout. And by freaking out I only mean she gave me a book to read about the Answers In Genesis model for the origin of species. I didn't really care about the question of creation at the time, but when I found how shallow the thinking of creationists was I was really surprised. I thought there was a reasonable case to be made but their best idea was to hide in the shadow of evolution by making their model essentially indistinguishable from it - merely many original species versus the assumption of one original species in evolutionary theory. I was baffled and that made me look more closely at other religious arguments I always assumed had a basis. The more I looked, the more I found it was all smoke.
- The realisation that the god of the bible isn't as moral as I am. I has somehow not figured that out over the years. When I was able to articulate the question "I know genocide is wrong. Why doesn't God know genocide is wrong?" my faith evaporated instantly, and joined the rest of the insubstantial smoke.

As for church unity. Oh boy that's a hard one. I think it does clearly reflect badly on Christians and is likely an impediment to new devotees joining the flock, but I'm not sure it is something that makes people leave the church necessarily. As a Christian you can always rationalise away someone being a lukewalm christian, or lacking spiritual growth. Those things don't reflect badly on the faith from the inside, but only on the people and sometimes the institution. However for the new potential believer I think it can be critical. "They will know we are Christians by our love". Without that deep sense of forgiving accepting community it is hard to put the right psychological pressures on a person to join the cult Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
19-02-2015, 05:29 AM
I read the question wrong and chose both. I thought the question was asking about factors AFTER de-converting. Facepalm

KC, as far as being outspoken about hypocrisy in the church, I think it's an honorable thing to do, but fruitless. People being hypocrites has more to do with the type of person they are and the situation they're in that conflicts with what they should be doing than anything else. That is why it is so prominent in politics and religion. You generally have a set of rules that make you a popular candidate or a model christian, but many times go against human nature.

When you identify with a party or a religion, you are saying that those values are yours, even if they aren't in your heart.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
19-02-2015, 06:45 AM
Trying to reduce hypocrisy in the church? I guess everyone needs a hobby.

[Image: dutchboy.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
19-02-2015, 07:48 AM
(18-02-2015 11:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  KC,

I think you are looking to find and fix what turns people away from religion. Does that sound right? It sounds to me like you’re on a Quixotic quest to “fix” Christians so that they don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Am I even close?

Saying one thing and doing quite another would be a good start. But as we can both see from the poll, hypocrisy isn’t the leading reason.

Maybe it’s simply people’s search for answers that moves them away from religion. You can’t fix that.

My two cents worth.

FC

Almost.

I'm not trying to fix anything.

My mail goal was to combat hypocrisy and judgmental Christians as to expose the damage that they do to the true message of Christ.

I guess I'm seeing that I overestimated its damage.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-02-2015, 08:17 AM
(19-02-2015 07:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 11:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  KC,

I think you are looking to find and fix what turns people away from religion. Does that sound right? It sounds to me like you’re on a Quixotic quest to “fix” Christians so that they don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Am I even close?

Saying one thing and doing quite another would be a good start. But as we can both see from the poll, hypocrisy isn’t the leading reason.

Maybe it’s simply people’s search for answers that moves them away from religion. You can’t fix that.

My two cents worth.

FC

Almost.

I'm not trying to fix anything.

My mail goal was to combat hypocrisy and judgmental Christians as to expose the damage that they do to the true message of Christ.

I guess I'm seeing that I overestimated its damage.

Christian theology is self-damaging; it doesn't need anyone's help.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post