Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 08:33 AM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
(19-02-2015 08:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 07:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Almost.

I'm not trying to fix anything.

My mail goal was to combat hypocrisy and judgmental Christians as to expose the damage that they do to the true message of Christ.

I guess I'm seeing that I overestimated its damage.

Christian theology is self-damaging; it doesn't need anyone's help.

Exactly - the concepts, claims, and stories of fantasy sunk the whole thing when I was just a child. And yes - there is truth to how people accept these ideas on faith and become self righteous jerks.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
19-02-2015, 09:46 AM
(19-02-2015 07:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 11:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  KC,

I think you are looking to find and fix what turns people away from religion. Does that sound right? It sounds to me like you’re on a Quixotic quest to “fix” Christians so that they don’t shoot themselves in the foot. Am I even close?

Saying one thing and doing quite another would be a good start. But as we can both see from the poll, hypocrisy isn’t the leading reason.

Maybe it’s simply people’s search for answers that moves them away from religion. You can’t fix that.

My two cents worth.

FC

Almost.

I'm not trying to fix anything.

My mail goal was to combat hypocrisy and judgmental Christians as to expose the damage that they do to the true message of Christ.

I guess I'm seeing that I overestimated its damage.

I would suggest that it's more a case of looking for the damage in a different place. Here's two possibilities to look into.

First, instead of asking identifying atheists for the causes of their departure, you might question the rest of the "nones" -- the people who don't really have a spiritual home any more, aren't affiliated with any religion... but won't actually identify as atheists. I suspect you'll find a lot more alienation from their starting beliefs at work there, then you will amongst identifying atheists.

Second, instead of looking for damage in the form of Christianity hurting itself in terms of hemorrhaging numbers, you might look for damage in terms of Christianity's relationship with society and the world as a whole. Are non-Christians likely to look at Christianity and say, "I don't believe any of the supernatural stuff, but they've got it right on how to treat people and are really stand up guys," or are they more likely to say, "you only stopped burning people at the stake and witch hunts and whatnot HOW long ago and you kinda seem to want to go back to that with gays and a new Crusade in the Middle East and what why are you pestering me about what I do in my bedroom and WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING IN MY KID'S SCIENCE CLASS?" These are two extremes, obviously, but overt acts of hypocrisy and hostility can move the needle on that scale from respect to disgust very quickly.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
19-02-2015, 10:13 AM
There's no 'none of the above' category.

I was never converted so I didn't have to deconvert.

Religion is a little like learning a language and then trying to unlearn it. Somewhere in a former theists brain the language of religion has imbedded itself and I can't imagine how difficult it is to not speak in religionese after having it forced onto you

Anyway, it was never imbedded into my brain cells so I never had to scrape it out and respackel.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
19-02-2015, 10:25 AM
(19-02-2015 10:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There's no 'none of the above' category.

I was never converted so I didn't have to deconvert.

This is covered in the topic title; hence, no need for you to respond to the question.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
19-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Was never indoctrinated like some here but was aware of religions power - so voted both.
19-02-2015, 10:36 AM
(18-02-2015 10:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 10:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I second that. I don't get it.

Most everyone knows I'm very vocal against hypocrites in the church and judgmental Christians.

From the data I've been collecting, maybe that fight... That monster isn't as bad as I perceived. And, it might not be worth the fight.

Perhaps I've been wrong to be so vocal against it. Perhaps it's just an accepted "thing" and should be expected; therefore, I should focus myself elsewhere and upon other issues.

Maybe I had an overinflated imagination and created a monster in my head when the monster was just an insect in real life.

I'm open-minded enough to realize I could be wrong in my fight and that I've been pissing in the wind.

Just some things to consider. I follow the evidence.

The sample size is pretty small though.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-02-2015, 10:51 AM
I abstained. For obvious reasons.

KC,
Fighting hypocrisy, wherever you find it, is never a bad thing.

But it can take its toll on your health.

I have a family member who thought she could/should fix the world's problems (or at least London Authorities' problems). Result: therapy, sporadic bouts of depression, asthma and stress-related issues.

She's still battling but has learned to conserve her strength.

Moral of the story: Don't give up the fight! But choose your battles and find creative, low-stress ways to tackle the root causes.

Hug

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Neither one was much of a factor in my situation.

The major factors for me were learning the history of the time period and my continuing education in the sciences.
19-02-2015, 10:57 AM
(18-02-2015 10:52 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(18-02-2015 10:16 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I second that. I don't get it.

Most everyone knows I'm very vocal against hypocrites in the church and judgmental Christians.

From the data I've been collecting, maybe that fight... That monster isn't as bad as I perceived. And, it might not be worth the fight.

Perhaps I've been wrong to be so vocal against it. Perhaps it's just an accepted "thing" and should be expected; therefore, I should focus myself elsewhere and upon other issues.

Maybe I had an overinflated imagination and created a monster in my head when the monster was just an insect in real life.

I'm open-minded enough to realize I could be wrong in my fight and that I've been pissing in the wind.

Just some things to consider. I follow the evidence.
I would imagine that the hypocrisy of a great number of church goers may be a catalyst for some.
19-02-2015, 11:05 AM
I don't think I was ever converted in the 1st place, despite being raised as a Catholic. We simply were not much of a religious family at all.

As a small child, i was fortunate to be able to read at 3 years old. The reasons for this is that I had many brothers and sisters, all older, so as they learned, so did I.

I loved comic books. Of course my hero was Superman, but even as a small child of 5 and 6 I knew he wasn't real. So when i did start reading some bible stories, all I could think about was how these supposed 'supermen" in the bible were not real either. It never even crossed my mind that any of them were real. They were just stories like my comic books.

Unfortunately, I spent a lot of time in the principal's office at our Catholic School. We had nuns for teachers who said crazy stuff like how Jesus walked on water, rose from the dead, flew up into the sky.

I would compare Jesus to Superman, and quickly end up in the principal's office. As a kid I was fearless and defiant of anything that didn't measure up to reality. After all, I had been taught that "superman" wasn't real because of all the things he could do, so therefore why would a supeman kind of Jesus be real?

I don't know for sure, but I think it was some kind of punishment for me that one day they had me read something from the bible at a church service. I hated it, and my friends knew I hated it, and they sat in the front row making funny faces at me while I was standing on the alter reading this crap. It was all I could do to not lose it and break out in laughter.

I simply never believed. No one ever really pushed me to believe anything at home either.

Thumbsup

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!