Poll: factors for deconversion
Hypocrisy
Being judged
Both
Neither of these were major factors for my deconversion
[Show Results]

When you deconverted from Christianity...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2015, 11:09 AM
RE: When you deconverted from Christianity...
(18-02-2015 04:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...were Christian hypocrisy and/or the judgmental nature of the church, religion, or other Christians major contributing factors?

For me, I just stopped believing. It's kind of a weird thing to contemplate, but I realized one day I didn't believe anymore. I also found I can't make myself believe things, even if I really want to. So, I tried to get it to make sense, hoping that would make it easier. The more I thought about it and the more I read my Bible, the less sense it made.

After about two years of this, I finally admitted to myself that I don't believe anymore and learned to be comfortable with it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
19-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Well, I've never believed but I've observed others who have and then stopped. I'm sure the hypocrisy and judgement were ever present factors but it seems to come from a much deeper place which makes those things seem superficial and quite secondary.

It mainly seems to come down to not being able to make someone believe something, when they just do not. That "someone" includes one's self ~ I know many who gravitate toward convincing themselves of belief. If they're really good at it, it can get quite destructive to their ownself and others.

Fight the good fight, Kingsy: fight for your self. It's really all you have. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-02-2015, 12:00 PM
My reasons for leaving were a persistent and growing doubt about supernatural claims, origins (the Genesis account), morality of the Bible's God, accuracy of Bible's stories and value of the lessons taught by those stories, and, the fatal blow, a recognition that the evidence for the resurrections was non-existent.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
19-02-2015, 12:22 PM
For me it was both, among other reasons. Of the other reasons, one was the fact that Christianity revolved around human-hating for reasons none of us are at fault for. For apologizing for being born, etc. I get that we humans have our flaws, but after seeing what we have done as a species, like flying to the freakin moon, I think it's pretty wrong to assume we're nothing but evil, sinful creatures.

I also came to the conclusion that it was extremely arrogant to think that a divine being, namely one of the thousands found on Earth, created the entirety of the cosmos for a single species among millions, upon an infinitesimally small spec of dust adrift one of the arms of the Milky Way, amongst billions of other galaxies and who knows what else that lies beyond the visible universe.

If there is a greater power out there, it don't give one sh!t 'bout us. And I'm perfectly fine with that.
[+] 1 user Likes SajaaK's post
19-02-2015, 01:56 PM
(19-02-2015 10:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(19-02-2015 10:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There's no 'none of the above' category.

I was never converted so I didn't have to deconvert.

This is covered in the topic title; hence, no need for you to respond to the question.

Yeah, I know. But I responded anyway cause I do things like that.

(love your dog)

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-02-2015, 02:26 PM
I chose "neither of these...".

My apostasy was based on realizing that there were too many logical problems with the dogma I was being taught, too many moral problems as well (the problem of evil, etc.), reality didn't fit well with the dogma, and other religious alternatives didn't have any more merit.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
19-02-2015, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2015 10:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-02-2015 07:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  My mail goal was to combat hypocrisy and judgmental Christians as to expose the damage that they do to the true message of Christ.

I guess I'm seeing that I overestimated its damage.

O ye of little faith. The Word ain't all weak and wobbly. Silly goose. Tongue

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-02-2015, 09:47 PM
I felt a bit like i might be judged...... and i am..... my family didnt approve fully, but they are "tolerating it" and they still love me, so theres that....

I also learned a bunch about myself, because i was doing thinking, that my religion was holding me back from..... So yeah its been an enlightening experience.
20-02-2015, 07:16 AM
I chose hypocrisy. I had my doubts from a very young age and any lingering doubts were quickly beaten out of me by those failed priests, the Christian Brothers.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
20-02-2015, 09:45 AM
It's not as if I enjoyed being judged by the other kids and their parents in my church for the fact that my parents were divorced. And it's not that the hypocrisy of many of these do-gooder Sunday-only Christians was lost on me. But I "deconverted," based solely on the fact that the whole story just made no sense to me whatsoever. It was simply not believable. I concluded by about age 12 or 13 that this was essentially a fairy tale that adults willed themselves into believing. I realized that the words and ideas of "jesus" could be useful, just as the ideas in Grimm's Fairy Tales or Aesop's Fables could be useful, even in the absence of anything divine behind them.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post