When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2012, 09:19 PM
When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?
Back in the day, I was forced to attend a Christian school. The amount of bullshit I believed and was indoctrinated into and believed was insane. Not only was I convinced that anyone who wasn't a Christian was "controlled by the devil" and influenced as such (they just didn't know it) but was also convinced into believing horribly stupid things.

On top of this, when I was eventually sent back to public school, I was so convinced that evolution and science were bullshit that I failed those classes miserably and spent a lot of time after I became an atheist having to go back and learn all the shit I didn't get to in school because of the bullshit I was spoon fed.

One thing I recall a good bit was being influenced into thinking any music not of Christian influence was bad.

We were shown this series (and it's good for a laugh now) back when i was a kid and it scared the holy shit out of me. Figures I'd find it on youtube...

What things were you taught that scared the shit out of you when you were an indoctrinated fundie?

Obviously this only applies to those who were indoctrinated as kids or any other time in your life. What things were crazy enough to scare you to the point of being afraid to question anything?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
23-09-2012, 09:43 PM
RE: When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?
(23-09-2012 09:19 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Back in the day, I was forced to attend a Christian school. The amount of bullshit I believed and was indoctrinated into and believed was insane. Not only was I convinced that anyone who wasn't a Christian was "controlled by the devil" and influenced as such (they just didn't know it) but was also convinced into believing horribly stupid things.

On top of this, when I was eventually sent back to public school, I was so convinced that evolution and science were bullshit that I failed those classes miserably and spent a lot of time after I became an atheist having to go back and learn all the shit I didn't get to in school because of the bullshit I was spoon fed.

One thing I recall a good bit was being influenced into thinking any music not of Christian influence was bad.

Replace 'Christian' in your narrative with 'Islamic' or 'Muslim' and you may understand those mad crowds screaming for revenge for their offended prophet Mohammed in the Middle East a little bit better.
23-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I'd prefer to keep this on topic for those who wish to share their experiences, and not derail this into a thread about the politics of recent events. I'd ask why you bring this up, since I've not mentioned anything about the recent events hardly at all, but I really don't care because that's not why I posted this topic.
23-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Nothing, because there was nothing to fear. My father never told me about hell or any kind of punishment for disobeying god's law for that matter.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
23-09-2012, 11:43 PM
I can't really think of anything that scared me, but things that scared my fundie Dad? Sure:

• My Yu-Gi-Oh cards - I got a nightmare from the graphic of a card, he thought it was Satanic influence.
• The internet - Dad refuses to get an internet connection at his home - too tempting to sin with it. Dodgy
• Horror films - HOW SATAN GETS TO OUR CHILDREN!!!1!1
• The Prodigy - Because they use evil sounds.

These are only the things that spring to mind immediately, there's definitely more things that are sitting on the edge of my mind. I may update the post later.
[+] 1 user Likes caffeinesoul's post
23-09-2012, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 11:57 PM by LadyJane.)
Haha at 6:36 of the OP video "The brainwashed do not know they are brainwashed". That made me laugh. But yes, if you are believing everything about this video, that would be frightening.

For me it was all the ghost stories I'd hear. My mom was (and still is) sooo good at telling ghost stories. That used to make me absolutely nuts! She would tell them when we were camping, too, in the middle of nowhere. She thought is was funny, and we'd say a little prayer before falling asleep, but fuck! I still remember some repeats she had. My BFF growing up had some good ghost stories, too. So I guess the things from beyond that were mysterious and seemingly uncontrollable would really get to me. Also, anytime I really thought about life after death for an eternity. That never really scared me as much as overwhelmed me. I am sooo less anxious about death now, thankfully.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
24-09-2012, 12:17 AM
This is going to sound really messed up but it's true.

Sex. No really sex. Not only was there a huge (I'd understand later vastly overestimated) risk of pregnancy but if you even had the nerve to masturbate before finding a wife you would go blind and get hairy palms.

If you dared to have sex before marriage not only would the congregation and possibly your parents throw you out on your ass but you were screwed for life to live paycheck to paycheck and never get anywhere.

Combine that with no protection allowed (condoms are the devil designed to get you to give into lust) and people constantly saying sex would always get a girl pregnant and I am still a virgin at 28.

I only let go of religion about two years ago and for some reason this part of that life is still etched in my brain.

Told ya it was screwed up.
24-09-2012, 12:44 AM
In no particular order:

- Getting AIDS for having sex with my girlfriend and not being married
- To watch my family die
- Having a slow, painful death while my dear ones watched me die

All of that because of my "sins", a punishment from god.
In fact, when something bad happened to someone, I used to think it was my fault. I was sure god was sending me a message, a warning...

Hell, I was mind fucked.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-09-2012, 05:52 AM
I'm an indoctrinated atheist, mofo. What scares me is how much I wanna kill when a Christian starts flapping his gums. Big Grin

True story. I could never swallow the hell concept, so that didn't bother me much. And then god showed up and made me a prophet - that cat's pretty fucking scary. But that's all I got.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-09-2012, 06:04 AM
I think, the most scaring thing in my indoctrination-phase was the realization, that we all sheeps and god is the shepherd.

I life in a part of germany with many farmers and i was not unfamiliar with the things that happend's to animals there.

So, in my childish mind, i became a sheep and the allmighty god was the shepherd and he wants to have a sheep for dinner, me!

Later it's struggled my mind to beliefe, that all the things, that I wanted to do, was conceived by God and already decided.

I felt powerless as a puppet and God was the great director.

Then I went through three phases, fear, agony and anger.
Now I'm in a final phase. Boredom.
Religion and God bore me to death.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 1 user Likes Marco Krieger's post