When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 03:34 PM
RE: When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?
I remember being scared that Jesus would return before summer camp. Heaven seemed all right, I guess, but summer camp was awesome. Didn't want to miss that week!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
30-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Music was pretty big for me, too. To the point that I went to absurd lengths (plugging of ears, saying "la la la", etc.) to avoid hearing even a single note of a song that I thought or knew to be "satanic".

That was actually the case with anything satanic or spiritistic; not just music. Movies, TV shows, certain people, things like that. I was a JW, so we went door-to-door, and there was a neighborhood in the mountains of our town where followers of Paganism or Wicca lived. I remember being terrified every time my mom and other members of the congregation would drag us up there to do witnessing. The Witnesses, of course, don't know the first thing about Paganism except that they think it's "satanic", so as far as I was concerned, every pagan or Wiccan in that neighborhood was some evil witch who did dealings with the literal Devil.

I was also terrified of anything related to ghosts, because the Witnesses believe ghosts to be demonic entities in disguise. My mom told me repeatedly that I shouldn't watch shows or read books about ghosts because it could somehow attract literal demons to me.

To put the cherry on top; I was in constant expectation of the end of the world. The Witnesses are crafty in that they believe the end of the world can come about on any day; at any moment. For that reason, the Witnesses are in a constant state of suspense. Sometimes I would go to bed wondering if it'd be the last time I went to bed in a normal world before waking up into a world of apocalypse. The Witnesses also teach that during the end times, there will be a period of "great tribulation" in which people will complely turn on the Witnesses and beat them, torture them, and even kill them in the streets. The world will become total chaos, and every non-believer - including loved-ones - will turn on the Witnesses. This made me fearful of non-believing friends and family members. As a little boy, I would look at my non-believing dad in the knowledge that one day he would take part in persecuting and possibly killing me.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-10-2012, 12:51 AM
(24-09-2012 10:28 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I think the scariest thing for me was the whole idea not only of influence from satan and demons, but the possibility that people could actually be possessed by them. I even read a book about demonic possession at one point that scared the heck out of me.

Then I once spoke to "satan" telling him he would never get me, that I would never follow him, and that I would always be faithful to Jesus. Later, when I was losing my faith, I actually found myself fearing that this conversation might have had something to do with it and maybe he was "getting me" after all.

Stupid indoctrination! Dodgy

This, too. (Sorry for the spam)

Demonic possession was a terrifying concept to me.

I too had a similar thought when I started to lose my faith. I always swore that no matter what happened; Satan would never get me to lose my faith in God. In my young mind, I imagined him saying "Oh yeah?" Years later, when I started to lose my faith, that thought returned to me briefly. I wondered if maybe Satan was actually proving himself by doing what I swore he could never do.

That's one of the sickest things about Christianity. It teaches you to believe that everything in life is proof of the Devil - up to and including a lack of belief in him. Subsequently, if you let go of a belief in him, well that only proves that he's real.

[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
30-10-2012, 03:36 AM
I remember having a lot of anxiety about if my guardian angel would actually protect me.
Ghosts, demons, devils, possession and other supernatural things.
and the idea of death, heaven and hell, where the hell will I go?

Letting go of theism was amazingly relaxing to me.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
30-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Early teen years were the worst - smart enough to start figuring stuff & making mental connections, but not experienced enough to separate the bullshit from the indoctrination.

1. I was scared to death of demon possession. My parents were ministers in our church, and more than once I actually got to hear them "exorcising" a severly mentally and chemically imbalanced person in the next room, during a prayer meeting or counseling session. We were taught that to open your mind to other theologies or ideas (e.g. eastern meditation) was to make yourself vulnerable to demons taking you over.

2. The idea that God was reading your thoughts. Add to that: In bible stories, God or an angel appeared to people, literally or in dreams, and told them stuff that was going on with other people. Therefore I made the connection that God just might narc me out to my parents about the evil (lustful, sexual) thoughts I was having. I often panicked about this.

3a. I did one summer fear that the Second Coming would arrive before I got my hands on some roller skates that I wanted so badly.

3b. When I started to have crushes on girls I would fear the second coming would happen before she noticed me, liked me back, or before I "found love" at all. I am talking deep sorrow here, and heavy serious praying. I feel like I spent my entire teen years broken hearted, because I felt somehow it was inappropriate to even "like" girls, much less pursue them. They (parents) were not anti-dating per se, but the vibe was such that to do anything but passively wait for God to show you "the one" was to court sin.
30-10-2012, 05:42 AM
(30-10-2012 05:23 AM)Gaff Wrote:  The idea that God was reading your thoughts.

This made discoving my sexuality particularly difficult. It's hard to masturbate when you literally believe that the creator of all that exists - along with his army of angels - is watching you disapprovingly. Lol

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
30-10-2012, 05:44 AM
I don't really believe I was ever really indoctrinated properly, but I will share my only experience. Seeing some of the horrors here, I can see why so many are Anti-Theists.

When I was three, or possibly four (before I started elementary school at age four) I was told in Sunday school about the devil wanting to take us to hell, and that if we believed, and were good little boys and girls we would go to heaven. After that point I had two vivid dreams (I have always had the ability to have very vivid and sometimes lucid dreams which is a whole other thread.) in which the devil himself came to get me.

In the first the devil flew in (more like levitated in) from above (as if there was no ceiling) and told me he was taking me to hell. He instructed me to get into a dresser drawer which was out. Then he hopped in with me and we flew to hell in a dresser drawer. Although that seems silly it is pretty scary for a small child.

In the second, sheets of ice appeared to form levitating steps on which satan walked down. He told me it was time, and I should say my final goodbyes. My family, to include extended family were all lined up in my living room sobbing and crying and telling me they were going to miss me and hugging me. After I went down the line satan took me by the hand and he walked back up the staircase and into hell which was hell as it is usually depicted in the modern west, lake of fire, brimstone and all that jazz.

To my mothers credit she fussed at the Sunday School teacher for scaring the shit out of me (much to my fathers embarrassment.) She then told me comforting things, and not to worry about it anymore. My parents are still very religious and attended that church for many more years, but after that point I guess I never really believed everything in the bible. By the time I was about eleven I doubted gods existence, and by twelve I was certainly irreligious.

30-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Wow! You guys really do seem to have had it much worse than me... Of course, I was a self-taught religionist, so I only believed what made (some sort of) sense to me, so - no Hell, no Guardian Angels, no demons, no fear of premarital sex, no Second Coming before the summer holidays were over (hmm, in light of previous posts the last one is almost a double entendreSmile)

I'm still surprised that no one seems to have been scared of eternity; to me thinking about it would almost give me a panic attack. I still can't think of anything scarier.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
30-10-2012, 05:54 AM
(30-10-2012 05:49 AM)Vera Wrote:  I'm still surprised that no one seems to have been scared of eternity; to me thinking about it would almost give me a panic attack. I still can't think of anything scarier.

The concept of eternity has always been unsettling to me, but as a christian, I figured I'd just trust in God to make eternity interesting enough for me to want to experience.

But, looking back, I think that may have been - at least in part - out of fear of insulting God by rejecting the gift of eternal life that he was offering me.

Today, the idea of even living past my 40s is unsavory to me. Something I'd like to avoid, if I can.

30-10-2012, 06:02 AM
(30-10-2012 05:42 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 05:23 AM)Gaff Wrote:  The idea that God was reading your thoughts.

This made discoving my sexuality particularly difficult. It's hard to masturbate when you literally believe that the creator of all that exists - along with his army of angels - is watching you disapprovingly. Lol

"Oh, man. Now I'm a sinner and God is a pervert" - Chris Griffin, Family Guy Big Grin

Tried to find the video clip, but no dice Sadcryface