When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2012, 06:03 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 02:52 PM by Vera.)
RE: When you were indoctrinated, what scared you to death?
(30-10-2012 05:54 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  The concept of eternity has always been unsettling to me, but as a christian, I figured I'd just trust in God to make eternity interesting enough for me to want to experience.

Today, the idea of even living past my 40s is unsavory to me. Something I'd like to avoid, if I can.

I would try that, too, like telling myself I wouldn't be as I am now, maybe a different type of consciousness, but it didn't really work, so I would try not to think about it and then the fear would ambush me when I least expected it (usually at night).

May I ask how old you are? Less than 30, am I right? It's just that a 22-year old friend of mine told me the very same thing quite recently (about not wanting to live after 40, I mean). Also, a lot of younger people keep saying "look at how old people are clutching to life, I'd never do it, I wouldn't want to live after I've hit 40/50/60/70 etc." Yet I'm quite sure that when we in turn reach this age (these ages), we probably will be holding on to life just as hard. Just a curious observation Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Old enough to know what I'm doing; young enough to do it for HOURS Wink

You're quite right; it's entirely possible that the older I get, the more I'll want to hold on. However, I've retained this mindset since childhood. I refuse, quite stubbornly, to die of old age. In fact, had I been a little more ballsy, I would be gone already, but, there are a few things I decided I want to get done first.

Ultimately, though, I've already decided the course I will take. Short of unforeseen accidents, I simply see no other option regarding my eventual demise. I no longer view "nature's course" as a viable possibility for me.

...This place took a morbid turn, eh? lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-10-2012, 08:09 AM
(30-10-2012 07:41 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Old enough to know what I'm doing; young enough to do it for HOURS Wink

You're quite right; it's entirely possible that the older I get, the more I'll want to hold on. However, I've retained this mindset since childhood. I refuse, quite stubbornly, to die of old age. In fact, had I been a little more ballsy, I would be gone already, but, there are a few things I decided I want to get done first.

Ultimately, though, I've already decided the course I will take. Short of unforeseen accidents, I simply see no other option regarding my eventual demise. I no longer view "nature's course" as a viable possibility for me.

Morbid doesn't scare me... Nothing does (other than eternity, violence and spidersWink). I do believe you believe what you're saying... I also do believe that if we could talk again in about 20-30 years, things might be somewhat different. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that no one knows what they'll think and how they'll feel in the future (which is why the whole idea of ''I'll love you forever" is bollocks, but that's for another place and time Drinking Beverage ) At least that's how I see it Yes

30-10-2012, 08:13 AM
(30-10-2012 08:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Morbid doesn't scare me... Nothing does (other than eternity, violence and spidersWink). I do believe you believe what you're saying... I also do believe that if we could talk again in about 20-30 years, things might be somewhat different. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that no one knows what they'll think and how they'll feel in the future (which is why the whole idea of ''I'll love you forever" is bollocks, but that's for another place and time Drinking Beverage ) At least that's how I see it Yes

Translation = Heart-broken and looking for rebound sex Big Grin

Sorry, had too.

30-10-2012, 08:18 AM
(30-10-2012 08:13 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 08:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  Morbid doesn't scare me... Nothing does (other than eternity, violence and spidersWink). I do believe you believe what you're saying... I also do believe that if we could talk again in about 20-30 years, things might be somewhat different. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that no one knows what they'll think and how they'll feel in the future (which is why the whole idea of ''I'll love you forever" is bollocks, but that's for another place and time Drinking Beverage ) At least that's how I see it Yes

Translation = Heart-broken and looking for rebound sex Big Grin

Sorry, had too.

Did you ever pause to consider that in every breaking of a heart there are two parties involved - the breaker and the breakee... and since I'm beginning to suspect I really do not have a heart... Cool

(And why would I be looking for sex? That's like one of the easiest things to find... Angel )

30-10-2012, 08:40 AM
(30-10-2012 05:42 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 05:23 AM)Gaff Wrote:  The idea that God was reading your thoughts.

This made discoving my sexuality particularly difficult. It's hard to masturbate when you literally believe that the creator of all that exists - along with his army of angels - is watching you disapprovingly. Lol

Yeah, tell me about it. When I was a Catholic teen, I actually confessed to masturbating because of that fear. Now, years later as an adult, I can't help but wonder if there was some pervert priest on the other side of the wall getting off on my confession. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-10-2012, 08:44 AM
(24-09-2012 10:30 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Being alive forever, soo boring, they probably don't have internet up there.

It would be funny if they did. We could all sit up there in heaven next to God discussing how much we don't believe in him on a website like this one. Big Grin

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-10-2012, 09:18 AM
(30-10-2012 08:09 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 07:41 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Old enough to know what I'm doing; young enough to do it for HOURS Wink

Morbid doesn't scare me... Nothing does (other than eternity, violence and spidersWink). I do believe you believe what you're saying... I also do believe that if we could talk again in about 20-30 years, things might be somewhat different. The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that no one knows what they'll think and how they'll feel in the future (which is why the whole idea of ''I'll love you forever" is bollocks, but that's for another place and time Drinking Beverage ) At least that's how I see it Yes

Very true. Only time will tell. Smile

30-10-2012, 09:25 AM
I was scared that because I masturbated so much I could never get married.

Oh wait, that sorta came true. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
30-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Trust me; even married guys eventually have to go back to masturbation.

You've just cut out the middle-man, that's all.

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post