When your son is murdered

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2014, 07:35 AM
When your son is murdered
Here's what he said to the reporter about his son being murdered:

“I had 29 wonderful years with him, and I guess I’m honored that the Lord chose my son to come home,”

Wow! When you're a Cristian you can be kind of happy someone killed your son. Warped.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Toney's post
13-12-2014, 07:54 AM
RE: When your son is murdered
That kind of thinking might cause him to go on a killing spree in the name of god so other families can feel "honored"

Fucking fundies

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
13-12-2014, 07:58 AM
You'd think if God wanted someone to "come home", he could think of a less violent, painful, and horrifying way to do it than murder. Maybe one that's less emotionally scarring for those not "home" yet. But I guess "KILL! KILL! KILL!" is in-character for him.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
13-12-2014, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 08:49 AM by Anjele.)
Though I find the 'God took him home' concept absurd it is probably the only way some people can deal with the unimaginable loss.

Is it delusional, yes. But the concept that 'they are in a better place' may be the only thing that keeps a person from breaking down completely.

I try to keep in mind that everyone has to deal with death, especially an unexpected death, in whatever way they can. It may have been easier when my first husband died in an accident if I could have fallen back on those ideas. Instead, I knew he was simply gone.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2014, 08:29 AM
couldn't god just make a magic portal to heaven if he wanted the kid to come home ?

seriously the "he works in mysterious ways" bullshit only exists so people can get some kind of relief instead of acknowledging the painful reality that right in front of them and bitch slapping them till they acknowledge it
13-12-2014, 08:42 AM
He's not really happy his son is dead, it is a form of denial and self-rationalization. However, I have always felt like this is one of the most twisted things about religion, because it interferes with people going through a psychologically healthy coping process.
[+] 4 users Like Superluminal's post
13-12-2014, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2014 11:40 AM by DLJ.)
From the title, I half expected the son in question to be Jesus.

I wonder what god thought about the murder of his son (himself). I guess he wasn't too surprised.

OK, yeah, whatever gets you through the night, I suppose.

Evolution saw it fit to give us denial and delusion. Useful tools, in this case.

Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Honestly, this is one of the things I'll give Christians a bye on.

I agree, the logic behind it is fucked up in all the wrong ways. The more deeply you examine it, the more fucked up it is. (So, wait, the murderer didn't have free will in this, 'cause it was God's plan to call the victim home, so it had to happen? Wha?)

But people who don't examine it deeply do derive comfort from it, and that's not something, in their moment of grief, that I care to disrupt. I will not seek to tear that security blanket away from them, insisting that they feel more pain just because the rationale they came up with is warped, twisted, and offends my intellect and morality. It's NOT actually sending them on a killing spree, so I'm not gonna interfere. Let them cope as best they can.

On the other hand, "let them cope as best they can" cuts both ways, and anyone who would see me going through such a moment of grief as an opportunity to peddle this kind of crap would lose some teeth.
[+] 7 users Like Reltzik's post
13-12-2014, 09:10 AM
(13-12-2014 09:07 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Honestly, this is one of the things I'll give Christians a bye on.

I agree, the logic behind it is fucked up in all the wrong ways. The more deeply you examine it, the more fucked up it is. (So, wait, the murderer didn't have free will in this, 'cause it was God's plan to call the victim home, so it had to happen? Wha?)

But people who don't examine it deeply do derive comfort from it, and that's not something, in their moment of grief, that I care to disrupt. I will not seek to tear that security blanket away from them, insisting that they feel more pain just because the rationale they came up with is warped, twisted, and offends my intellect and morality. It's NOT actually sending them on a killing spree, so I'm not gonna interfere. Let them cope as best they can.

On the other hand, that cuts both ways, and anyone who would see me going through such a moment of grief as an opportunity to peddle this kind of crap would lose some teeth.

Agreed. An unexpected death of a loved doesn't bring out the rational in even the most rational of people.

There's a time to battle the delusion and a time to let it slide.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2014, 09:16 AM
(13-12-2014 08:42 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  He's not really happy his son is dead, it is a form of denial and self-rationalization. However, I have always felt like this is one of the most twisted things about religion, because it interferes with people going through a psychologically healthy coping process.

They go through it anyway. You can't rationalize grief away - I sure tried.

Grief is not at all about the dead person, it is about a void in the life of the survivor and the brain continuing to produce conditioned responses to stimuli that used to be connected to the dead person.

No belief or disbelief or anything else can fix it.

It only eases over time as the brain stops to conjure the dead person up in whatever situations.

Platitudes merely allow people to talk about it without actually facing it in front of others. They help to temporarily curb a melt down. The melt down happens anyway, albeit in private.

Whatever helps someone deal with a huge loss - I don't begrudge them the ability to avoid public melt downs.

That said - the platitudes drove me up the wall when my husband died. They made me angry. But then, anger is part of the grieving process.

I don't blame anyone for using crutches to get through a time of grief. Grief is the darkest of dark places.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post