When your spouse finds out...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 10:12 AM
RE: When your spouse finds out...
(13-04-2017 08:11 AM)phoenix31 Wrote:  I was an "undercover" atheist for many years and my husband almost seemed relieved when he finally asked me outright if I believed and I was honest about it. He felt I was holding our kids back from reaching their spiritual potential, and now with me out of the way at church, he can try to indoctrinate them how he sees fit.

Does your husband allow your children to hear different viewpoints so they can make up their minds themselves?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2017, 02:22 PM
(13-04-2017 10:12 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  Does your husband allow your children to hear different viewpoints so they can make up their minds themselves?

He's not super thrilled with them hearing other viewpoints but he's not a control freak about it, thankfully. At first I agreed to just go along with him and raise them the way he would prefer, but lately I'm realizing that I want to be true to myself and at least tell them my viewpoints on things as they get older. So I just recently informed him that I was going to tell the kids certain things, and that was that.

For instance, my son recently came home from school talking about a gay kid, and I took the opportunity to tell him that I felt differently than his dad about homosexuality. As it comes up in conversation, I plan to tell them my opinion on things, although not in a forceful way.

I don't know if that will put strain on my marriage but I feel like it's important for them to know where I stand and to be able to hear different viewpoints on things. (Although I haven't actually said straight out that I don't believe in God.)
[+] 1 user Likes phoenix31's post
13-04-2017, 04:52 PM
I can only tell you what I'd do keeping in mind I have neither shame nor honor. I'd go overboard pretending to be the bestest Christian ever for all the wrong reasons - my own personal amusement. Good luck!

#sigh
13-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Does your husband disapprove of games? Introduce the kids to the Wff 'N Proof game if he doesn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Games

By the time they get to a good level in the game, they're going to have the necessary critical thinking skills for life. Wink

Symbolic logic FTW! Hmmm...there should be a back channel for atheist to atheist advice so the christies don't find out how we do our stuff. Rolleyes